Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects West Michigan 49 Shoebox Resurrection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Justin Terrell, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thread is like de-jeavu ..Lower pictures show just some of the panels and parts removed from our shoebox. Usual ,rockers fenders, floor , rear panel, trunk lid etc etc.
    IMG_0191.JPG IMG_0192.JPG IMG_0197.JPG IMG_0198.JPG

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Justin Terrell likes this.
  2. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Trying to make it a bit more on-topic... :) 20180510_193048.jpg

slv63 likes this.
  3. Justin Terrell

Justin Terrell

4. Justin Terrell

Justin Terrell

5. Glad to see you butt welded the quarters on. Very nice job. I see how the trunk floor "wings" went in but what boxes in the back side of the rear quarters? behind the wheels. On most cars the trunk drops down outside the frame and that "drop down" welds to the lower edge of the quarter panel.
    Very nice work, I find the repair of rust very satisfying, something about cutting out a rusted floor or quarter and replacing with new steel.
    anyway...weld on!

6. Justin Terrell

Justin Terrell

Thanks! Good point. On this car there really wasn't anything there to indicate that the quarters were boxed in. I see your point though. I did a little searching to find out what has been done on other cars in this area with no luck. I honestly don't think the shoeboxes had anything like that as there was just a seal between the outer and the trunk floor. My thought is possibly to have a strut of some sort going down and holding the bottom of the panel. Kinda like a pick-up truck bed and how the bottom lip is supported.
    I will take a look some more on this.

Thanks,
    Justin

46international likes this.
  7. Justin Terrell

Justin Terrell

It's gonna get a little hood in here now...
    The hood on the car is for the most part pretty good. Now the front of the hood, now that's a different story. The leading edge is pretty bad. Well, here goes nothing.
    [​IMG]
    I did some thinking, and the best way I figured out was to get the leading edge formed out to fit the original shape and then just cut and weld multiple pieces together to get the shape needed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More on this tomorrow.

Justin

8. You're doing the Lowered's work my friend... always wanted me a shoebox Ford down in the weeds.

Inspiring... keep at it.

9. Justin Terrell

Justin Terrell

Thanks!

Praise the Lowered!

Justin

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Great work!
    And good to hear that my build thread gave some confidence.Keep it up!

11. Justin Terrell

Justin Terrell

OK, I had a little break as the sand dunes were calling my name.

More on the hood!
    A single piece for the nose of the hood. I formed it and then simply cut it in like any patch panel going in.
    [​IMG]
    And for the fitment. Seems to be working out well so far.
    [​IMG]
    And an initial fitment which for just setting things in place without forcing them into place, doesn't look to bad at all!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So the inner structure needed some help too. I fit the pieces here and left them out until after welding to where I can bump the steel around if needed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And now that it's all welded, here is the fitment with the fenders on, hood on and the upper grille shell. NOT BAD! I will have to do a little re work on the drivers side front corner, but that won't be a big deal at all. Overall pretty happy with the hood re construction.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

very nice work. make it look easy !

13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

14. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great job, good luck !

15. 51custom

51custom

Wow! Very nice work

16. Justin Terrell

Justin Terrell

Good morning everyone! I owe you an update to ole crusty the 49. Iv'e bee busy at work as well as playing in the sand at Silver lake. Well, spoiler alert...the car is back with the owner for him to start seam sealing everything up and finishing the build! I will roll out some more pictures of the sheet metal work.
    So to review where I left off. The hood was done and there needed to be some attention to the bottom of the doors and front fenders. So the best way to get after it is to start cutting. The doors closed so nice, I didn't want to pull them off. So at least the car was still on the stands which made it a little easier. Overall the passenger side turned out pretty good. For some reason I didn't get a picture of the metal finished end result with the gaps dialed in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

48fordnut, slv63 and warhorseracing like this.