Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Third Brake Light

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BoilermakerDave, May 12, 2018.

1. 02F63E77-73AE-4A34-955C-C49DF0F617D0.jpeg 70A4ED48-D508-4EF7-995D-6C881A710C60.jpeg I don’t want to turn this car into a gook wagon, but damn. I was always in fear of being rear-ended, because people are used to seeing a lot of light when the brakes come on. So I did it, I made a 3rd brake light. Behold the Shure model 555, just like Elvis used.

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I share your concerns about being rear ended.
    That 3rd light of yours is a real nice touch indeed.
    I had what I scored for nothing and have tried to kinder blend it in, mostly it is not noticeable until I hit the brakes.

Nowadays, I plan to have a 3rd brake light installed in every project car I build, plus a battery isolation switch and a hazard light switch.
    Two of my cars also have a manual fuel shut off tap.
    I broke down years ago on a real busy road at night and it was raining and to this day I don't know how I did not get hit and vowed to improve my chances from being rear ended either moving or while stopped....

Attached Files:

3. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

I like it!

zzford likes this.
  4. robracer1

robracer1

I just don't care for third lights has a add on for older cars, but Dave yours is pretty cool. I do agree with flashers and a electrical fuel shut-off switch on dash.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Bandit Billy likes this.

5. jbrittonjr

jbrittonjr

I like it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. you may have problem with glare/reflexion off of the glass. most of the third brake lights mounted on that side of the glass are shrouded to avoid it.
    really cool idea tho!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love it.

Chris

8. clem

clem

That is unique and very neat.

9. R Pope

R Pope

Chryslers had third brake lights in the 40's. so they aren't totally inappropriate on old cars. BTW, the US gov't outlawed them after a few years as distracting to other drivers!

wsdad likes this.
  10. A novel approach. I like it.

11. I like it. Glad it's not some plastic one from a mini-van or something like that.

BoilermakerDave likes this.
  12. While I would never add a third brake light to an old car, I will admit that looks pretty cool. I've been rear-ended twice in the past year. Both with modern cars with 3rd brake lights.

13. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks cool, but I would be concerned if it broke free during an accident (God forbid) and slammed somebody in the head. Could turn a fender bender into a fatality........

14. flat 39

flat 39

I made this one for my '39 coupe. IMG_0836.JPG

BigO, MAD 034, 47ragtop and 17 others like this.
  15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have read a report that the third brake light was only effective for a couple years then when everyone got used to seeing them the rear end accidents started increasing again but I do like it.

31hotrodguy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. 5window

5window

I like that very much. Nice job.

17. 5window

5window

I wonder how many times you would have been rear-ended if you hadn't been in a car with third brake lights?

Texas57 and clem like this.
  18. A Boner

A Boner

I'm thinking of installing flame throwers on my hot rod to discourage idiots from riding my ass.
    Riding ass is the #1 cause of rear end collisions.

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The ONLY brake light on my 47 Lincoln was in the center of the trunk handle. It had factory turn signals, but they hadn't figured out how to make them and the brake lights work in the same light yet. Now, with a new GM style column and wiring, it is the third brake light.

oldsjoe likes this.
  20. F&J

F&J

Mine on my 32 with an early Olds Rocket motor,
    100_3303.JPG
    ^^^I used a trunk emblem from a 40s Olds Woody but put a red lens into it, where there was a clear one that said "hydramatic".

The trunk is not closing because I was at an estate tag sale...tons of stuff packed in there..

BigO, Surfcityrocker, Blues4U and 7 others like this.
  21. catdad49

catdad49

22. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Creative!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk... Gary from Virginia

23. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Nice work Dave. I agree that the light may cause some glare at night. But might look cool when the rear window is fogged up.
    With all these SUV/SUT/CUV/CUNT on the road, even a rear window brake light may not be tall enough. I know some guys add a flasher breaker to the third lamp to get it to flash, although the way people drive around here when the firetrucks roll that may/maynot help.

24. I put a nifty L.E.D tube strip at the top edge of my deck lid between the outer and inner skins. KIMG0541.JPG

25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

On my Shoebox..Car is red primer so I used red plastic for lens, blends in when not on as is about 7/32 tall but at the angle is only about 3/16.. 3rd Brake Light 001.jpg 3rd Brake Light 002.jpg

Ron Funkhouser, oldsjoe, Tim and 8 others like this.
  26. iafraser39

iafraser39
    from Warmland

I put a third brake light on my model a RPU just underneath where the top fits., and then stays on.
    Its unobtrusive and I have a brake attention mode , so it flashes when the brakes
    are applied

oldsjoe and hotrodharry2 like this.
  27. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_0199.JPG IMG_0200.JPG With so many ricer cars soccer moms and mobile phones the morons expect a third brake light. Personally I cant see the point in fitting a third brake light that is so discreet and low on light as to be polite, fit one theat does the job and be done with over thinking polite. Our 49 shoebox , we made a pod using an LED 49 tail light, I think we do get some reflection off the glass ,but the rear enders get the idea.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    BigO, Dave Mc, Ron Funkhouser and 5 others like this.
  28. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Sadly, we are working on the fact that folks will see our 3rd brake light when in fact with some drivers you could have a 5th and 6th brake light and it would not help as they all seem to be looking down in their lap texting or reading texts with no eyes for what is happening on the road at all...

oldsjoe, INVISIBLEKID, F&J and 3 others like this.
  29. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I like the skulls with LED eyes.
    [​IMG]

patmanta likes this.
  30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I love that! If they can't see that, they are blind!

hotrodharry2 likes this.