Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Car show question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rjones35, May 11, 2018.

1. rjones35

rjones35

Please delete if not allowed....

I was wondering, it seems like a lot of the local car shows are at least half made up of guys with too much money showing off their brand new car, has it always been like that? Not all the shows are like this obviously......

2. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

a lot of the local shows/meets here are a hand full of old, but mostly new challenger's, charger's and Camaro's that are custom because they painted the engine plastics to match the car o_O and new set of aftermarket wheels and exhaust

XXL__, hrm2k, zzford and 2 others like this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Nothing new if you think about it. It's just an extension of their high school day's of when they had the new Vette or drop top 55 Chevy that their parents money bought them.

loudbang and rjones35 like this.
  4. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Is showing a new car our thing (and a lot here will bitch about shows in general)? Naw, but at least be thankful there are still car guys (regardless of style) out there. Just watch out for the newer Mustang owners when you're leaving the show......

5. Terrible80

Terrible80

How much i$ too much? Asking for a friend.

6. rjones35

rjones35

HAha!! That's true, still car guys, or gals, still car shows, so it's all good.

7. rjones35

rjones35

I guess it doesn't really matter, a guy spends 150k fixing up an old car, or a guy spending 150k on a new car. Still enjoying, still a car guy.

8. missysdad1

missysdad1

The world marches on around us. Be grateful that new high performance cars are still being developed and sold to the general public. They are the FI '57 Chevys of the future.

9. rjones35

rjones35

True that. And the future guys won't have to worry about getting stuff re-chromed at least. Maybe have to do some 3d printing of their missing plastic parts.

10. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I was at a local show last summer and a guy with a 2017 Corvette had a temper tantrum because his car wasn't judged. The people that run the show simply told him "we can't judge a new car" and he really made a fool of himself in front of dozens of spectators. You hate to turn away people, but perhaps they need a cut off date at some shows.

11. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

So true. As much as I like vintage stuff, put me in a Demon and you'd see a grin from ear to ear through the tire smoke.

12. Around here you see most of the new stuff on cruise nights.
    I went to one last night and my car was oldest by 36 years.
    There are car shows that seem to draw more older cars
    And there are a few shows in the area that are 1972 and older only.
    Then there are tuner specific cruise nights and shows, etc...
    I can appreciate anyone doing almost anything to a car.
    Like others have said...at least there are still new car people coming up.
    But personally, if I want to see a new Camaro or such i will just stop in the dealer and look at one....

13. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

It used to make me mad. Then I realized that at least it makes a bigger show so it’s worth whoever is putting it on to keep doing it. I ignore them.
    SPark

BigDogSS, rc57, Special Ed and 2 others like this.
  14. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

This is a really interesting subject especially for the HAMB. My wife's '31 isn't exactly "traditional" with the Halibrand-style Sprints on it, and it veers even further away with the chrome spokes. It takes a really special new car to get my attention, but at the end of the day I'm a car guy, not locked into a narrow view of styles. I can appreciate something in most all cars and styles, I just like what I like more. As a hobby we need to realize vintage tin is getting more scarce by the minute as are the owners of it. As Uber entices a whole generation to abandon the hobby, we need to start embracing newer car guys as the future of the hobby. If we don't, you'll have a bunch of effeminate Uber riders showing up at what shows are left and offering fodder for the "Things you hear at car shows" thread.
    Roll with the times or become a victim of it.......

15. rjones35

rjones35

No doubt with the tune-ability on these new cars they can make a lot of power and go fast and stop good, with air conditioning, cruise control, 30mpg, etc, etc. and it is cool that guys are hotrodding still, even if it is done with a computer. A guy at work has some fancy new camaro and couldn't understand why it didn't get much attention at car shows. Different strokes for different folks.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I stopped at my first car cruise in over 2 years this past Tues. Figure I'm good for another couple years or so.

lothiandon1940 and rjones35 like this.
  17. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

As long as they know which bathroom to use... Not that there's Anything wrong with that ( for the PC police) h-hee

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have had to judge those new cars in shows.
    So the guy that did the best job of cleaning would take the prize.

Rickybop, zzford, Tickety Boo and 2 others like this.
  19. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

. We have some eclectic cars shows around here and people seem to gravitate to what they are interested in. Have not witnessed much confrontation between interest groups. There is always a discussion about the builder guys vs the buyers. IT takes both. Lots of guys like to build and sell a car to start another project. If we didn't have buyers there would be fewer builders. Fewer builders mean less buyers. Same with drive to a show or trailer to a show. I don't care unless a trailered car somehow presents an unfair advantage in some way. I am a pretty much live and let live guy, but one thing makes me wonder: Guys who buy cars and try to say they built them, or guys with trailered cars who say they drove them a long way to show them. Why attempt to be something you are not?

pitman, chryslerfan55, zzford and 3 others like this.
  20. long island vic

long island vic

theres a show here, bring your 2005 or newer to show, but not too judge

LM14 and rjones35 like this.
  21. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Some folks get too "Judge-MENTAL".
    I saw the same thing from a guy with a cookie cutter mustang.was pissed they didn't give him extra credit for having the tuning laptop on the passenger seat.

chryslerfan55, Just Gary and rjones35 like this.
  22. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Hollywood, guess you haven't been to NYC in a while. More and more bathrooms are becoming "Gender Neutral" because of ultra Conservative/Liberal, mayor DeBlasio.

23. zzford

zzford

I'm an old car kinda guy and have no interest in the new stuff. But, having gone through a period when it looked like factory built hot rods were done for (think late 70's, early 80's) I'm glad the factories are building them again. When I enter a show, I don't want my car judged. That's not what I'm there for. I do believe that for those being judged, there should be a different parameter for a 70 year old rod and a new off-the-showroom-floor model.

Just Gary, wraymen and rjones35 like this.
  24. I remember having brand new cars in the 50's and 60's, and the pride of driving 'em to show off. Nothing's really changed but the calendar. :rolleyes:

But, on the other hand, the New Car/New Guys need to learn the show rules and adapt to 'em (not the other way around) and STFU. You're out of school now, Sparky. Everybody doesn't get a trophy. :p

25. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

The wife's showing her '31 at a small local show tomorrow, so we'll see who/what shows up and what the vibe is.

rjones35 likes this.
  26. This... And a lot of these shows are put on to generate money for charities the local club or organization sponsors, so the more money from entry fees, the more they have to give. I know most local shows here aren't that picky about entries, but they don't exactly welcome the late models with open arms either.

trollst and rjones35 like this.
  27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

In defense of the "new car guys", if a show or cruise-in doesn't specify being era specific, you can't fault them for showing up. However, my friends with newer cars know what venues to show up at. It's common sense. Unfortunately, some "new car guys" lack that.

28. wsdad

wsdad

There's room for Jay Leno, my middle class neighbor, me and poor teenagers at most car shows.

29. 2935ford

2935ford

IMHO Who cares!
    Not me....I don't go to car shows!
    The driving time in this neck of the woods is way too short. So, I'm out driving!:)

papadaddio, Tomincanada and rjones35 like this.
  30. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

I live in San Diego, lots of old cars, lots of old money. lots of young kids with large credit cards to build their car's and go into debt. we all talk the same language with different terminology.

I just want to a local College car show and their was about 50 cars their, I was erked that I did not get most original non modified award and that they gave it to some dude in an 86 Honda.

but what can ya do ya know. their are shows that have people with hot rod's worth 100's of thousands and hot rod's worth less. I think that the shows these day's are mainly guys who love car's and are truly rare with the pussificatoin of America. I just go, sit and enjoy telling the story about my car and my future ideas for her.

czuch, rjones35 and trollst like this.