Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A pickup gas tank relocation

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by lahti35, May 9, 2018.

1. lahti35

lahti35

So I was thinking of picking up a 31 model a pickup and going mild custom with it... Hop up the banger some and install a '32 dash... I know guys cut out the stock tank for the new dash but where are the pickup folks putting a new tank in at? I figured somewhere under the bed... or maybe a smaller tank up inside the dash to make room for the '32 dash... Would be interested in seeing some build pics for gas tank removal/relocation in 30-31 A pickups...

2. Some build a smallish tank and put it under the seat. I have seen them in the bed as well in the later '50s and earlier '60s (pre beer keg spun aluminum cylinders).

If you keep the fenders saddle tanks work real well.

3. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

My 29 has a 12 gallon tank in the Luggage Trunk . with an Electric Fuel pump under the Bed
    IMG_0490.JPG IMG_0516.JPG

grabrr likes this.
  4. I made a tank to fit between the frame rails behind the axle under the bed. It bolts up with straps just like a modern style tank.

Blues4U and 46international like this.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I still have the stock tank in the stock location. You can put a new dash in with the tank in place. Mine currently has a wood dash, but eventually I'll replace that with a 32 style dash. I actually use my truck to haul things around, like guitars and amps for gigs, or bags of water softener salt, or fertilizer for the yard, etc. Sticking the fuel tank in the bed isn't going to happen. However, I might get creative with an under-bed tank. But don't think you automatically have to ditch the stock tank to install a new dash, that isn't true.

6. I made a tank and mounted it in the bad behind the cab in my model A.

Speedway Motors has a small spun aluminum tank that looks good. HRP

7. while a tank in the pickup bed is fine , i think the looks is distracting...plus it uses up cargo space

on my`29 closed cab pickup i made up a fuel tank to go UNDER the bed in front of the rear axle , filled through a door in the bed floor. it was about 10 gallons

fiftyv8 likes this.
  8. lahti35

lahti35

Interesting... I was under the impression there would not be enough clearance for gauges without removing the stock tank.

9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I have mechanical oil pressure and water temp, volt meter & vacuum gauge installed in the dash, no speedo. Tach is mounted to column. I'm not sure how deep speedometers are, that may be a problem.

10. IMG_3474.jpg IMG_3481.jpg IMG_3487.jpg IMG_3533.jpg View attachment 3893585 View attachment 3893587 Do they still make "saddle tanks" that go on the frame under the splash aprons? If it was me I would leave the tank where it is and put some extra gauges in the passenger side kick panel or the aftermarket era correct mounts shown in the photos.

Don't forget to check out the "aristocrat dash panel". Use Google for pictures. They used to make a reproduction but I think it is no longer available. Remember there is not going to be much room behind the aristocrat panel.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  11. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

On my 31 rpu I built a tank that fit under the bed and ahead of the rear axle and filled between the cab and bed. As I remember, it was about 15 gallons.

Blues4U likes this.
  12. low down A

low down A

those that say use saddle tanks have never used them if they had they would know what a pain in the ass they are. seven gallon on each side and you can only fill one side without turning the car around or drive to the next station

05snopro440 likes this.
  13. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Saddle tanks are crap and I suggest don't consider them at all.
    A stock tank is a cop out for numerous reasons and since you are building a project at least build some capacity into a decent tank.
    All that said and done and hopefully I have not offended anybody.
    I don't mind the 32 style tank out back on some Model A body styles but it wont be pretty for a pickup that is for sure.
    If you want reasonable capacity/range, you really only have two choices, which are either fore or aft of the rear axle.
    I have a Model A Tudor with a tank in front of the diff with a cut out to accommodate the drive shaft and a balance pipe and this runs 23 + gallons with a filler in the side rear panel.

I have a T modified pickup (almost finished) with a homemade frame which runs almost 19 gallons and is mounted behind the diff and a filler set in the side of the box panel, not pretty but it does work.

Finally the most related to your question is my 29 Model pickup, (unfinished at this point), but will have a gas tank between the chassis rails in front of the diff.
    I plan a filler thru a door installed behind the B pillar in the 1/4 panel on the drivers side.
    I expect this gas tank to hold approx 30 gallons when full.

Rear suspension is the biggest issue to consider and in my case the Tudor and T pickup both run parallel rear 4 bars which helps make installing a tank forward of the diff workable in the Tudors case.
    The Model A pickup I have is running an extended chassis with semi elliptic rear leaf springs which again provides more clear space for a decent sized gas tank.

I feel the central location of a gas tank in front of the diff, particularly with the sizes I prefer, allows fror the best weight distribution and is safely surrounded by chassis rails and mounted under the floor as well.
    Anyways, that is my view of the world...

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

For me, 10 gals in a pickup is fine. By the time you burn thru 10 gals it's time to stop and get out for a bit and stretch the legs.

15. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I live in this fantasy world, where if I cant out run the cops with speed, I'll out last them with gas in the tank...
    hahaha!!!
    There is a stretch on the I70 in west CO where 10 gallons may not cut it.
    I've never been caught, but I was too damn close 2 years back.
    Made the mistake of trying to run the speed limit thru the National Park at 90mph and nearly run myself out of gas.
    Big gas tanks or twin tanks are what I like.

16. I know that it has little to do with fual tank location and rather that name everyone here that has posted I just want to say that there are some damned good looking instrument clusters here. :cool:

17. chopndrop

chopndrop

You have any sort of fuel gauge?

18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

No, I don't. I monitor my mileage via GPS, and after 100 miles I start looking for gas. Only ran out once, and I knew I was pushing the limit, just as I was pulling into my destination.