Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical paint gun problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadgary, May 8, 2018.

1. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

first, it's a horrible freight gun. yea i know, that's my first problem. i have had ok performance from them until now. at least this problem never occurried before. this is a new gun and i used it once without any issues. i cleaned it and the next time i used it the spray came out in a pulsing manner. i tried to adjust all the knobs to no avail. this is the aluminum siphon gun if that helps. also, it is not a hvlp gun. i ran it at 60 psi. anybody have any ideas?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just want to tell you you have two identical threads started on this. Need to delete one so you get all your info in one thread.

3. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Plugged breather, vent hole

Sporty45, flatford39 and Dave Mc like this.
  4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

As above or a leak where the pot bolts to the gun , do it up tight ( not stupid tight)

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

If you are like the guy that used to help me. He thought he cleaned his paint gun. After I took it apart and really cleaned it. It worked fine. Take it apart again and really clean and inspect everything.
    Harbor Freight guns are not that bad. Paint about a half dozen cars and then buy a new one and turn that one into a primer gun. Painted this with a Harbor Freight gun and 20171218_1349081.jpg won best paint at a car show in Florida.

chryslerfan55 and Sporty45 like this.
  6. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

if the nozzle is not tight they act like that,remove the air cap and see if it is tight,or a plugged breather hole is also a possibility,remove the breather and see if that helps,your material may be too thick too?. Harvey

7. It is the nozzle being a bit loose. Happens to me all the time when I forget to do the last snug in the nozzle. I have been using HF guns for years and love them to death. Rap HF tools all you want, there is no way I could have the suite of tools I have and build the projects I have over the past 40 or so years w/o HF help.
    These cars are all HF tooled/HF painted.
    10-26-2015 10-32-48 AM.jpg P1010560.JPG IMG_5388.JPG BUBBACAR4..JPG p12007 WR w- Halibrands.jpg

8. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I use a Harbor Freight HVLP as a primer gun and have used it to shoot paint on chassis parts on the driveway with no problems. Seems to work fine but I take it apart and clean it every time I use it and set the pattern on a flat surface each time. I have a Sharps HVLP I use for painting body parts but mostly because I like it better.

Attached Files:

9. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

wow!! thanks for all the replies. i checked the vent hole and it was clear. it may have been the nozzle though. as far as cleaning it goes, i did clean it good . i take them all apart and clean them with acetone and soak them for awhile in clean acetone also. i am going to be painting two fenders in a while so i will see if it does it again. if it does i will just use one of the other two i bought. thanks again.

ps. i should have did a search. i just figured nobody would have had this kind of problem. i have been painting for over 50 years and never came across this situation.

10. Slopok

Slopok

Probably cause you used your Binks 7 or other quality USA made gun, should still be on the shelf somewhere if you look hard enough!

RMR&C and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

slopok, that's funny. i have never had an expensive gun but have used them before.
    i haven't used the new type paints. just regular acrylic enamel and such. the things i build and drive would be a waste to put an expensive paint job on. my cars all sit outside in every weather and get driven the same. funny story. i had my henry j gasser painted by Earl Shieb in an acrylic white about 15 years ago and it has always been outdoors and it still shines. through all the road rash, cracks and chips that is.

12. wvenfield

wvenfield

Watcha painting? On occasion Harbor Freight will have a special where you can get a gun for $9.99. I'll buy a handful. Painting a frame? Paint it and toss the gun.

13. morac41

morac41

Pull the gun and soak clean... use the proper brushes to clean..partially dirty orifices will cause all sorts of problems with the flow of the gun....cant be lazy with cleaning a paint gun ....all the cheap guns people buy over the years..should just lash out and buy a quality gun which will last all your life....