Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. chiro

chiro

This is a rivet nut.
    rivet1.jpg
    rivet2.jpg
    It is essentially a pop rivet that is threaded inside 1/4-20. It is used to place a nut into thin material that you can't get at from behind, among other uses. Very handy item. This particular rivet nut requires a 3/8" hole to mount it. However, rivet nut setting tools are VERY expensive. So I modified an extra pop rivet tool I had laying around to put a long 1/4-20 bolt through the business end and made a cheap and effective rivet nut setting tool. Below see tool and how I used it to repair the A-pillar on my "A" where the visor mounts. The original flange nuts (or whatever you call them) that were spot welded inside the A-pillar were no longer there. Now, we have a new attachment point for the visor. I also used rivet nuts for the sub frame rails to attach floor boards to where the original D-nuts were rotted, frozen or missing.

Enjoy,
    Andy
    rivet3.jpg
    rivet4.jpg

2. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Made my own shrinking disc. Worked okay but I bought a real one and it worked a little better. I hit the local flea markets and bought a bunch of pot lids. Them I drilled one that seemed about right. It worked well enough that I ordered one and finished the job. lidoptions10.jpg winnerpotlid10.jpg

j-jock, biggeorge, brEad and 3 others like this.
  3. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

A friend moved out of town and gifted me a couple of microphone stands.

I work mostly alone, so I’m often looking for ways to extend what I can see or do. Being able to see something that is otherwise out of sight is helpful. I found a cheap cel phone holder on the sale rack at Menards, and adapted it to the mic stand.

IMG_4154.JPG

This opens up two options. First, record video and look at later. Recently used that to diagnose a non starting problem on my DD. I put a spark tester in line with plug #1, but couldn’t see it while turning the key to crank the engine. The video showed what I needed to see - only randomly firing spark. New coil, truck starts fine again.

The other is remote view, using the phone with Face Time to my iPad. Useful for things like one man brake bleeding. I have a check valve bleeder, but it helps to be able to see the fluid coming out, which is hard to do while in the car pumping the brake pedal.

Here’s another attachment. I need more welding practice, and had some scrap and an idea. I don’t have somebody I can hand a flashlight to and say “hold this, point it there”. So:

IMG_4160.JPG

A piece of 1/8” x 1/2” left over from something else as the base. A chunk of thicker steel bar I found in the street one day was cut, drilled, and ground slightly thinner to fit the mic stand, then welded to the base. I threaded a couple pieces of 1/4” rod, then drilled the base and welded them in. Some “beer seal” foam, a couple pieces of Velcro, and acorn nuts complete it.

Still need more welding practice, but I’m getting better.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary, brEad, biggeorge and 6 others like this.
  4. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

^^^great ideas!!

Did you fabricate that base for your porta-band? I've been tossing around putting one of those together as right now I have mine bolted to the side of a table....lol
    IMG_1121.jpg

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  5. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Yes, I built that last year. First project after getting the welder. Works really well. Got a cheap PortaBand from Craigslist, rebuilt it, got a new band, then used it to cut the tubing for the stand.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and bobbytnm like this.
  6. I'll be watching for some microphone stands now
    Thanks

loudbang and David Gersic like this.
  7. I really hate to shoot all this nonsense down, but has anyone here ever heard of a circuit breaker. If you plug that into 120V it'll pop the breaker in a split second. Melted plug and burned hand, my ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. wrench3047

wrench3047

Sounds like some was wired wrong

9. Alaniso

Alaniso

[QUOTE = "RED-EYE-KUSTOMS, post: 9535465, member: 167356"] ¡Odio las herramientas de préstamo! Tuve el selector de cerezas de mi padre en el garaje durante varios meses y decidí armar el mío. Solo necesito agregar un corsé en la parte posterior y luego puedo ver si realmente levantará y mantendrá algo.

[​IMG]

La parte que más tiempo consumía estaba esperando que OSHA me diera las capacidades de peso .......

[​IMG][/C
    amigo necesito las medidas y los materiales para hacer los mismo. gracias hermano

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

WTF????????????????

loudbang likes this.
  11. Jiminy

Jiminy

Google translate came up with this:

I hate the loan tools! I had my father's cherry picker in the garage for several months and decided to put mine together. I just need to add a corset on the back and then I can see if it will really lift and hold something.

The part that consumes the most time was waiting for OSHA to give me the weight capacities .......

friend I need the measures and the materials to do the same. thanks brother

alanp561 and Cosmo49 like this.
  12. My friend, probably 99% of HAMB users speak and read only English. Please translate.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the back brace on that cherry picker.....and the "your mom" burn

14. clem

clem

At least that’s in English.
    Rest seems self explanatory.

15. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Here you go DOM all in one neat little package. No I do not speak the language, I just inserted Jiminy's translation.

[QUOTE = "RED-EYE-KUSTOMS, post: 9535465, member: 167356"] ¡
    I hate the loan tools! I had my father's cherry picker in the garage for several months and decided to put mine together. I just need to add a corset on the back and then I can see if it will really lift and hold something.
    [​IMG]
    The part that consumes the most time was waiting for OSHA to give me the weight capacities .......

[​IMG]
    friend I need the measures and the materials to do the same. thanks brother

Cosmo49, chiro and whtbaron like this.
  16. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Built myself a small sheet metal bender, out of odds and ends laying around the shop. Bends 16 gauge steel okay, radius is a bit big but that is caused by the raw and round edge on the angle bar top clamp, needs cleaning up to give a sharper corner I think.

FA375B30-29E8-4850-B35B-12483AC2125A.jpeg 3F3B9163-539A-4663-BC27-F981058604EC.jpeg B4B3321F-F8F1-44CE-B8AE-DA21FBDA2475.jpeg 633603E8-233C-4028-9E2B-CA00579CA16E.jpeg

17. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Is that held up with a vise on either end? That sure beats trying to hold the bender to the benchtop with a pair of "C" clamps like I have been!

brEad and Sporty45 like this.
  18. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Great folder Morrisman, well looks like you are back and project ready.

Morrisman and loudbang like this.
  19. Joe H

Joe H

Morris man, a neat trick is to place old valve springs around the threaded rods at each end. When you back off the hold down nuts, the valve springs lift the top plate so you can get the metal back out with killing your back trying to lift it one handed.

alanp561, brEad, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  20. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Yes, I toyed with ideas how to fasten to the bench, make a stand etc, then this idea popped into my head. It is welded to a length of spare 1 x 2 tube. :cool:

There are indeed some small springs in there, but a bit short, so packed up with washers. It does make it easier to use.

whtbaron and loudbang like this.
  21. bct

bct

Jack shafted my bandsaw for some smooth metal cutting action
    20180714_043926.jpg
    20180714_043807.jpg
    Blade speed is at about 260 feet per minute. The smallest blade I could get for a 93.5 saw is 1/2" so the radius is fairly large but it cuts fast

22. 1pickup

1pickup

Got tired of chasing my transmission case around the bench top while trying to rebuild it, & scratching the fresh paint. Some scrap wood & a few sheet rock screws got me this for $0:
    parts 033.jpg
    When I'm done, I can burn the wood & reuse the screws.

23. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Neat!

Uprights look OK to burn but base looks like it might be pressure treated. If so be careful, it will give off nastys. I didn't use to care but keeping my health seems to take on more importance as my spot moves on down the yardstick of life.

Drill a hole and hang it from the rafters or on the wall? Been my experience that whenever I do that it's cheap insurance against having to do the same work again...

Ed

brEad likes this.
  24. So very true!

25. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Nice stand 1pickup! I did a similar stand a few years ago but made mine out of scrap steel I had laying around the shop. The last time I used it I did not use the handle piece. I have also used it on my 49 Mercury OD trans with good success.
    IMG_1148R.jpg
    IMG_1149R.jpg
    IMG_1150R.jpg

26. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Was asked to share this over here. Needed something to help support a 90 degree butt joint. Came up with this. 20180918_073212.jpeg 20180918_073242.jpeg 20180918_073253.jpeg 20180918_073318.jpeg 20180918_073436.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

alanp561, Just Gary, fauj and 4 others like this.
  27. atch

atch

That vise, while it has many years of good life left in it, has been rode hard and put away wet MANY times in its past.

Oh, yeah, good job on temporary support of the 90* butt weld.

saltflats likes this.
  28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Mike I was thinking the same thing.
    That kind of vise treatment would never stand in the Bugatti plant. :D

29. atch

atch

Yep; Ettore set a high standard which is still being adhered to. Maybe in my next life I'll be able to afford one. Certainly ain't gonna happen in this one.

So; back to home made tools, of which Bugatti probably has many. Their "home made" tools probably involve hundreds of hours of precision machining though.

30. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I broke my ash tray and I like the occasional cigar in the garage. I hope this counts as garage equipment...it does at my garage.
    Take one left over Nova SS hubcap (it is 1965 so traditional). it has curb rash so don't fret
    upload_2018-9-18_9-29-44.png
    Remove center and sand blast the underside clean, then turn the acorn bit lose on the spokes to create rests for the cigars.
    upload_2018-9-18_9-31-16.png
    The bottom is not completely flat, it could scratch the Mrs. patio table and it rocks around a bit so I liberally applied some 3M double side tape...
    upload_2018-9-18_9-33-17.png
    And added one of the thousand or so coasters I have taken from bars and pubs over the years. Which fit the center perfectly. (this one had a V on it , I may pen in an 8 still)
    upload_2018-9-18_9-34-23.png
    Not exactly "Tech Week" worthy but a cool man cave ciagar tray. Nothing better than crap you make yourself.
    upload_2018-9-18_9-37-12.png
    Smoke 'em if got 'em.