Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best Paint Stripper for uncovering "Survivor" Paint

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by J.Ukrop, May 8, 2018.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I recently picked up a barnfind BSA and it looks like it has some cool old paint lurking beneath the current metallic silver. I want to strip the top layer but not harm whatever it is beneath. It seems like the silver paint is fairly thin. Anyone have a brand of paint stripper they swear by? Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

• BSA.jpg
      BSA.jpg
      File size:
      173.9 KB
      Views:
    Surfcityrocker likes this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Do you think the silver is rattle can paint? if so, I have had some luck taking spray paint off with easy off oven cleaner. the original formula in the yellow can. But with that said I can offer no guarantee.... I would practice on a small hard to see spot....good luck

J.Ukrop likes this.
  3. Vanness

Vanness

Explain more, no chemicals. Only butter knife?

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

Is that a 250 or 441?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's a 441 Victor Special. I won't mention what year it is though :)

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

I would venture to say it is 1966 based on the round cylinder. That being the case, use paint stripper on it. Should have a beautiful aluminum tank under
    that paint if it isn't full of condo.
    Bondo I mean.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. CaptainComet

CaptainComet

If that is enamel paint over original lacquer, I have had very good luck just soaking it in water for a day or two and getting the enamel to peel right off. I have restored a lot of old Hot Wheels cars. The first four years of production were candy lacquer and it is common for them to get kiddie-painted with Testors model paint. The thicker the enamel, the better.

8. If it is just spray paint and there's good paint underneath sometimes you can try some mild organic solvents. Start with xylene and see if that works without taking the underlined paint off. You can try acetone as well. The easy off is a high alkaline stripper it might just chew everything off. If you're trying to get down to aluminum that might be the way to go.

Sent from my SM-J327V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I have done some paint removal with rubbing compound by hand. You have so much more control that way.

nunattax likes this.
  10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

id try 1500 wet and dry sandpaper.stop rubbing when you wear thru the silver use it very wet