Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 60's Style HotRods, Street, Race, Custom - Come On, Post pictures of what you like !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AHotRod, Sep 19, 2006.

1. AHotRod

AHotRod

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

3. AHotRod

AHotRod

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

5. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

No Problem. Here's some pictures of the one I bought there are other kinds as well.

Attached Files:

6. loudbang

loudbang

52 indc.JPG

53.JPG

54.JPG

Golden Sahara

golden sahara...........JPG

Tach and Graduation Tassel
    tach tasel.JPG

7. loudbang

loudbang

8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I love the '57 Ford!

9. loudbang

loudbang

Yep don't find many Ford shots.

cruiserjohn76, Stebo27 and enloe like this.
  10. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Hey wait I got a few more... 127.jpg gas attack.jpg 235.jpg 843.jpg

1947knuck, chriseakin, Stogy and 14 others like this.
  11. At the Rhinebeck swapmeet and car show yesterday.

Owner Justin Mumford. I am not sure on the last name.
    Barn Find built in the late fifties early 60's
    Old street racer from Pittsfield Mass
    371 Olds
    Cadd-LaSalle
    Ansen Posi-Lock
    57 Cherolet rear[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1947knuck, chriseakin, Stogy and 18 others like this.
  12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Back in the early 60s,had a buddy Keth,that had a 40 ,I helped him put a Cady in. This set of pic's reminded me of that fun,thanks. There's one thing too note about that upper rad hose humped up like that,its PITA air trap an poor flow=cooling always a prob. Saw that a lot on flatheads in hotrods a lot too. Take the time to keep cap at the top of all water an try never to have air pocket hump hose.

13. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  14. 'Mo

'Mo

[​IMG]

chriseakin, brEad, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  15. loudbang

loudbang

16. loudbang

loudbang

17. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Found some more... 130.jpg 176.jpg 177.jpg 001.jpg

18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

What would it take to sit with your ass 4" off the ground with some crappy old rear end between your legs and put the pedal to the metal while peaking between the blowers on a pair small blocks?

19. Cajones gigante!

20. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

That's funny cause I was thinking the exact same thing.

21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

This was core of innovation hot rodding in the 50s 60s that got everything started. That is the early version of the Howard Cam Twin driven by Glen Ward. But, the notoriety was all Jack Chrisman in this fast twin. There have been stories on the “2 to Go” website where most of the twin motor cars are documented. Since we were living close to Lions, went there almost every Saturday and Sunday, and finally got to race a couple of cars in different classes. 1958-60 was our time period to learn, build and race. Early speed tricks were all around us back then.

We learned a lot, saw a lot of new innovation in race cars and learned to compete despite the dangers involved. I was also lucky enough to be at Lions Dragstrip to film the race car against the top racers, locally, when we weren’t racing. The most anticipated race for months was this “Twin Bear” vs Lefty Muddersbach’s twin inline Chevy powered race car.

Jnaki

Addendum:

After talking with Mike Cook (SWC Doug Cook’s son) for an extended time, I learned the his hard core involvement, build and more history about the “Twin Bear.”

Here is a story I wrote about my visit to see the Howard Cam Twin, Jack Chrisman version at the Lions Dragstrip Museum opening day/night.

upload_2018-5-8_5-57-32.png 2017
    Hello,

Nothing says chain drive than the original Howard Cam Twin 671 SBC FED from the 59-60 era of drag racing. The Jack Chrisman driven FED won a lot of races at Lions and other local So Cal race tracks. The “Twin Bear” as it was called, tried many versions of streamlining, starting with the well formed aluminum sheet and the famous custom “plywood” panel. Then eventually, a well molded metal panel covered up the front for the Nationals.

My brother was a Howard Cam fanatic. Starting with the full race Howard Cam and kit, flywheel, trans adapter, and if the fancy Isky Gilmer Belt Drive set up for the SBC did not just come out for our motor (with our special deal), the chain drive was our first choice.

Jnaki

The chain is a crude but functioning way to attach all of the drive pulleys. It is also dangerous as it may break and fly outward, so, the need for a fully enclosed cover. The chain is as strong as the weakest link…We all remember our bicycle chains breaking a link and flying off. The downfall of the enclosed chain drives (or any chain drive kit) was the introduction of the wide industrial Gilmer Belt kits on aluminum pulleys. That introduction was not for a few more months later in 1960.

But, sometime in April-March of 1960, Reath Automotive started marketing a chain drive for competition use only. The difference being a comparison to narrow belts that did break…think fan belts stretched to the max. They still had belt driven superchargers for the street in kit form, but this new chain drive was for competition only.
    upload_2018-5-8_5-58-25.png upload_2018-5-8_5-59-1.png

upload_2018-5-8_5-59-13.png 60917 upload_2018-5-8_6-0-11.png
    upload_2018-5-8_5-59-52.png 62417
    upload_2018-5-8_6-0-41.png
    upload_2018-5-8_6-1-0.png upload_2018-5-8_6-1-29.png

A great find of one of the earliest photos of the "Twin Bear."
    from 296ardun: Thanks, Dave...
    upload_2018-5-8_6-1-59.png

"VERY early Howard Cam Special, still running carburetors ... if I remember correctly, Glenn Ward was one of the first drivers of this car....before Jack Chrisman took the helm."

22. greaser

greaser

Ya, with wildly spinning massive hunks of rubber at your shoulders, and deafening mind bending ROAR!

23. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I somehow don't believe my life insurance policy would cover this. 144.jpg

24. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-5-10_4-40-21.png Bivens And Fisher back then...
    The late Doug Fisher was the wrench, while Jerry Bivens drove this cool looking
    “ Checkmate” FED.

Hello,

My high school friend, Jerry Bivens has been involved in hot rodding /drag racing since our days in Bixby Knolls. He has gone through many different cars during this long hot rod/drag race era. It was cruising around at first, then teaming up with some famous, local, drag race teams. One of his friends, Doug Fisher, (from the Westside of Long Beach) went to junior high school with me and was enrolled in high school during our time cruising. The Bivens and Fisher team had a great run during the FED drag racing era.

Jnaki

Last year, I rekindled our friendship from way back in those high school days at the Price Transfer Lions Dragstrip Museum opening day events. He had his whole crew there for the event's Cacklefest in the outdoor parking lot. What a Cacklefest it was...wow. It still stings the eyes, blasts your ears and takes your breath away...!

upload_2018-5-10_4-45-21.png upload_2018-5-10_4-45-34.png
    Lions Dragstrip Museum Cacklefest Nitro Revival @ Barona

Addendum: a previous post
    Hello,

At the Lions Dragstrip museum extravaganza, there were countless race cars firing up during the cackle countdown, late in the afternoon. A lot of good, old, Nitromethane (10 gallons each) was used to showcase these fabulous race cars. What a show it was...and that sound was deafening, but, oh so cool.

I did a surprise visit to my old high school friend, Jerry Bivens. Jerry, his family, and crew put on a great show. The FED? Bivens and Fisher "Checkmate?" (the late Doug Fisher, also a Long Beach Poly HS classmate) It is newly reconstructed and looking fabulous. It was impressive standing alongside all of the rest of the race cars.

We talked about the old days, new days and what he has been up to since 1961-62. We all led different and interesting lives…To this day, he is still involved in the “Nitro Revival” movement going on at various locations on the West Coast.

We all started cruising during our high school era. He got involved in the top echelon of drag racing (fuel dragsters) because of his building skills and association with the Tom McEwen/Lou Baney/Yeakel Team, several years after high school. Online, there are many photos of him at Lions.

upload_2018-5-10_4-47-45.png
    old days
    upload_2018-5-10_4-48-19.png upload_2018-5-10_4-48-39.png Reconstruction
    new days…

upload_2018-5-10_4-49-22.png upload_2018-5-10_4-49-36.png
    Jnaki
    After too many years between those good old days and now, it was like talking to him in the parking lot of our cruising grounds in Bixby Knolls at Kens’s Restaurant Drive-In, and Grissinger’s. Where were you in ‘62? Just a couple of old guys reminiscing...

Thanks for the memories, the watery eyes, and the sting in the nose...Jerry!

25. loudbang

loudbang

26. loudbang

loudbang

27. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Don’t remember seeing them till mid sixty’s. Lots of chrome reversed earlier.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

28. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

I can just imagine the history and stories related to that ride....if only the cars could talk huh?

29. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

It wouldn’t hurt to have spent some time in the insane asylum, and bring the papers that show how long you were committed. Just proof that your craZy as a loon. You asked, just MHopinion.