Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Flathead 6 or Slant 6 Swap for 55 Dodge Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Six Fix, Apr 4, 2018.

?
  1. 265 Flattie

44 vote(s)
    67.7%
  2. 225 Slant 6

21 vote(s)
    32.3%
  1. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I'm looking at your motor from 1000 miles away and can't see any flaws lol. Factory spec says up to .007 cylinder taper is ok. If the pistons aren't broken and the cylinders don't need truing hone the cylinders with a bottle brush hone, put some new rings on and run it.

Check valves and guides for wear. Lap the valves and shim the springs .060 or, you may want to replace the springs if you are adding a cam.

Timing chain, oil pump, bearings, crank will need to be checked. But the bore job suggests the engine has been rebuilt once and not run a lot since them.

I think it looks promising but you never know until you take it apart and inspect. I lean towards putting in new rings even if the old ones are not worn because modern low tension rings are so much better, they reduce friction which is even more important on a long stroke engine than on a new short stroke engine and they practically eliminate wear.

If the crank is clean and the bearings aren't worn, I wouldn't even replace the bearings provided they Plastigage to the right clearance.

With a little luck you should be able to freshen it up for the cost of gaskets, rings, maybe a timing chain. Might cost under $500. And, you already have the carbs, intake, etc off your old motor. I don't see a down side to using this engine. Even if the crank needs turned that might add 2 or 3 hundred to the cost. But, you would have practically a rebuilt engine and it will drop right in with no modifications. I severely doubt you could rebuild a slant six and put it in for anywhere near the same cost in $$$$ and labor.

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  2. Like Rusty suggest. use a dingle berry hone and install new rings. lap the valves and run that engine. Only cost a few hundred and its a bolt in swap.

Blues4U and Flat Six Fix like this.
  3. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Thanks for the suggestions Guys.
    First off, I better take it apart and measure these cyls or have them measured to see whats what.
    There is a slight cylinder ridge, it can just catch my fingernail, so there is top cyl wear, and how much taper, we shall find out.
    I think if these cyls cold be ball honed, new rings and lap the valves, could be good for a while.
    If not boring the cyls and the whole enchilada will have to be done.
    I have found a few more 265s, that are supposed to be rebuilt, have heard that a time or 2...

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Modern low tension rings don't cut the cylinders the way the old rings did. You can take apart an engine with hundreds of thousands of miles and the cylinders are like new. This is since the late 80s. Low tension or moly filled rings reduce friction and wear meaning if you run them and good synthetic oil it is possible your cylinders will never get much worse.

5. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Thanx Rusty, yes have to cut ridges, and not sure I should or not.
    Measure and see if I can get away with honing the cyls.
    Would Vintage Power Wagon have the modern type rings?

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You should be able to order rings gaskets etc from your local parts store. I don't know what kind of rings VPW sells.

7. You do need to remove any ridge at the top of the cyls. If you don't its possible the new piston rings the top ring will contact that ridge and break the ring or damage the ring lands on the piston. I have a Snap on ring ridge cutter. It fits down in the bore and cuts from the bottom up. it will follow the bore and even cut every bit of the ridge from a out of round cyl. It was high dollar decades ago. But I feel it is worth every penny. Just give it a light hone enough to remove the glaze. You don't need aggressive cyls to seat molly rings like we needed back in the day for the chrome rings. Clean the bores with hot soapy water and a scrub brush after honing. then wipe the dry with a paper towel and the use a paper towel soaked with ATF and clean those cyls until the paper towel don't get dirty. Then use lenty of lube on the pistons and cyls during assembly. Many times a ring job will last longer than a new rebore. Because you have a seasoned block and the bore will not distort during break in. If a block is rebored without using a torque plate bolted to the deck. when you assemble and tighten the heads the cyls will no longer be the same as when they where when rebored without a deck plate .

8. Parts are available for the engines. There are plenty of vendors because the reenactors use the dodge WWII vehicles. And the power wagon folks and there are plenty of forums on those pilot house trucks. My eldest son has a 1944 WC army 4 wheel drive. and We where able to easily find every part to rebuild and reseal that rig from front to back.

9. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Thanx Wolfman l8ter gator

Kool

10. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

So Guys, waiting on 2 more combine IND 265s. 1 is supposed to be a low hour runner.
    Here is mine in close up pics of cyls and top end.
    It almost doesnt look too bad, but not sure what will end up being the plan just yet.

Attached Files:

11. Just from viewing the pictures. I think a ring and hone job and lapping the valves and you will have a reliable mill.

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  12. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Yes it most likely can and would. I am guessing as long as the wear and taper arent too krazy.
    I have never driven a 265 mill, sure hope it is better than the 228 in it now....

13. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I had a 64 Dodge Dart with a 225 slant six with a 4 speed behind it, and loved that engine. It was stock but ran like hell. That would be my choice.

14. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Interesting thing is this.
    The hardest part i can think of in the slant 6 4 spd swap is this. The stock clutch pedal and arms and how to get it to work with the more modern bell and throw put fork. I have pondered this but not sure how I would approach it.
    Installing the engine and making mounts and cross members is not too difficult.
    Its the dang clutch pedal that would a bitch.

15. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Hey Fellas, cast your vote please...

16. 97

17. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Hey Brother from Down Under, 2 things while the 265 Aussie Hemi is a great engine it ain't in the running in my project. Wish it were but nah not gonna happen.
    2nd thing although I live an hour from the US border I reside in Canada making me Canadian...lol
    Yah those 265 Hemi engines are kool..

belyea_david likes this.
  18. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

Go with the flattie! I'm in the process of upgrading my tired 218 to a rebuilt 230 and some sort of overdrive.

19. I had a slant six with an A833 four speed with the stock clutch pedal, I wish I had pictures but it wasn’t terrible to do.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

In a C series truck?

21. In my 57 Fargo

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  22. Slant 6 , the flatheads have a weak bottom end by comparison, especially when hopped up. Slant with carbs or 4 barrel and you'll be flying .

23. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Really?
    Care to share on this I'm all ears.
    Now the slant has 4 mains but biggins like a 440.
    Just never heard this issue.
    Chrysler flathead 6s Modern inserts full pressure lubrication, cross drill and groove bearing shells for RPM over 5000..
    Yup Slants cammed 4 bbl headers can go, especially in a light vehicle...

24. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Interesting Poll shows 8 to 1 favor for a 265 flattie over a more modern 225 Slant 6....

25. Well I see your name and I've got an uphill battle, 54 Mopar flathead six left me high and dry on a trip to Santa Maria and back to L.A. it was banging like bongo drums, barely made it home. That's why I said Slant six.

26. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

No I get it of course these things happen.
    Was this a high mile engine?
    Running high RPM on a hot day?
    Thanks I appreciate your comments.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  27. goldmountain

goldmountain

I've had flat sixes, slant sixes, but if I had to do this all over again, I would consider a v8.

exterminator likes this.
  28. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

No thanx.

29. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

So here is the info on a complete rebuild of these engines.
    Complete job you drop iff engine and pickup rebuilt.
    In the USA 3200 to 4000.
    In Canada about the same.
    You could save maybe a 1000 if you source parts and tear engine down.
    Save even more if you assemble engine after all machining if you can handle it.
    Most shops are in the $100 per hour range it doesnt take long to rack up the hours.

30. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you are on a budget either engine is among the easiest to rebuild. You may have to farm out machine work like grinding the crank or boring the cylinders but with luck this will not be necessary. If you don't need to rebore you should be able to rebuild your engine for well under $1000.