Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration A cool roadside attraction!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Funkhouser, Jan 1, 2018.

1. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-4-23_5-22-24.png Seal Beach, CA on Coast Highway
    upload_2018-4-23_5-24-6.png
    Hello,

The Glide'er Inn on Coast Hiway in Seal Beach,CA was/is an interesting place. Not only is it spelled in an interesting way, but, the name fits its history. A long time ago, where the naval ammunition property is located, there used to be a small airport nearby. (Originally attached to Crawford Field, a small local airstrip) The original restaurant was close enough for pilots to “glide her in” and stop for a meal or two. Hence, Glide'er Inn that was one theory to the naming.

The Glide'er Inn, established in 1930, is one of Orange County's oldest businesses. It was originally located near Anaheim Bay, next to a dirt landing strip where old-time aviator Ray (Pop) Crawford built gliders (hence the restaurant's name). There are other ideas about how the name came to be as the inside was usually dark, private, and romantic, etc. But for most historians, the top two ideas were the most prevalent.
    upload_2018-4-23_5-24-48.png

"The Glide'er Inn was a tiny restaurant on that corner property. But, as times pass and more development was necessary, they moved to the Coast Highway location. Construction of the Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station forced the Glide'er Inn to relocate to its present location on Pacific Coast Highway in 1944. The stucco building stood out from the time we saw it in the 50s, all the way until the recent (2000)conversion by the new restaurant group. Why? It was the only restaurant with a full size airplane perched on top of a steel tower."

The inside was one of those dark low light dining rooms from the 30’s-40’s. My dad took our family here in the 50s to seek out his favorite dinner, a giant, juicy steak, with all of the fixings. My brother and I split another steak, while my mother picked from the fresh fish menu. That was the only outing for our family at the time. (along with the Sam's Seafood just a mile or so South on Coast Highway.)

But, by 1966-72, my wife and I ate there a couple of times. It was on our list of restaurants from Belmont Shore in Long Beach down through Seal Beach to Huntington Beach for excellent meals. Since it was right on the Coast Highway near the Naval Ammunition location, there were always hot rods and cruisers parked in the big highway frontage lot.

Jnaki
    It was one of those places where everyone driving up/down Coast Highway could see your hot rod or station wagon. If you parked in the spaces nearest the Coast Highway, your friends knew where you were at that moment. Do you like dark places? This restaurant is/was it. If you have ever been to the Red Witch Inn near the old Ford Plant,(Terminal Island) this Glide'er Inn interior was about as dark as that old dive, red light and all.

upload_2018-4-23_5-25-29.png
    Currently: new name, new owners

"Designed by the Long Beach architect, Winfield Payne in 1930, it was originally located near the Anaheim Landing area. The restaurant was known for its aeronautical memorabilia which lined the walls, model planes which hung from the ceiling and a pilot’s register with signatures/notations by hundreds of pilots, famous or not."

upload_2018-4-23_5-26-9.png

Truck64, LBCD, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  2. Growing up, my parents took us to the east coast beaches a lot. One of their favorite seafood restaurants was the {Phillips Seafood house}. I think they opened in like 1956? My family's favorite is the { Captain George's seafood house}. Just thinking about these places, is making my mouth water! lol. Thanks {JNAKI} for sharing your stories and great memories.:) Ron.... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

4. (Boneyard51) Thanks for the Indy Motor speedway Hall of Fame photos. Do you, or anyone else have any pictures of cars from inside? I took these pictures last Thursday, coming back from the Carlisle swap meet. I think the Big paint bucket has been posted before. But notice the very long limo, and the truck on a stick.:confused: LOL. These were at Chambersburg Pa. Where I had stopped for gas.:) RON... 20180419_151818.jpg 20180419_153616.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

BAE900BB-DB2B-4D80-B1D3-34744439715D.jpeg 6B93B66E-B862-45E4-8971-BCDBD366B246.jpeg 9025E94F-56DB-49E5-906C-3104EA720483.jpeg
    Ron just took a few of some of the cars that were special to me. A couple a Fords and a home town boy. Bones

6. Thanks { BONEYARD51} Those are great shots. I took my dad and daughter to the Petersen. I got so busy looking at all the cool stuff, I forgot to take photos too. So enjoy a few more from the net. I had to post them first, so I can find this thread with my phone.:confused: And then I can post the few that I've taken. I'm not so good with this tech stuff. But I do know now, to take lots of pictures of the family and that the cars are just back drop.:) Ron.... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. SORRY, here are the few of the crappy pictures I took at the Pete. It's my dad, my daughter, and myself. My daughter loves Hot Rods as much as I do! My dad just likes hanging with us.;) LOL I like the picture of Dad, with the Beach Boys little Deuce Coupe ! Ron... 20180428_072432.jpg 20180428_072407.jpg 20180428_072317.jpg 20180428_072159.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  8. We're visiting {Roadside America} soon as schools out.;) It's at ex-23 on I-78 Shartlesville Pa. [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Hey , Ron we must travel the same roads! I came but the big truck on stilts yesterday! Last year my wife and her friend went to that miniature village while my friend and I sat under the trees there and drank beer! Small world! Bones

10. We visited, Ruby's diner on our road trip up the Pacific coast highway. It had a cool 50's theme. It's on the end of the Huntington Beach pier. I envy you guys in So-Cal.;) Ron.... [​IMG][​IMG]

LBCD, loudbang, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-5-3_16-46-54.png
    Hey Ron,

Envy? Thanks, but, there are tons of stuff all over the USA that goes sight unseen until someone takes a photograph for their own history. It is fun to see something like a Cool Roadside Attraction that allows people to decide, how cool. It is nice of you to start a great thread of hot rods, cool attractions, and history all in one. If they can all be tied together.

Nice photo of the Ruby’s on the Huntington Beach Pier. Much has changed in that city in all of the years we have known that pier. The city has grown up for better or worse…that is the lingering question. You can still park on the beach, by the side of the pier. But across the Coast Highway, massive changes have made this Main Street and PCH South into who knows what? Some good, some bad.

Good: They allow hot rod/woody/car shows on the beach side area for great public viewing. Sometimes they shut down Main Street to cars and have a car show or festival, downtown toward the pier. LBCD's posts on car shows at the Pier and Main Street is a great example.

Bad: That is personal opinion, but the new development, southward, just made this sleepy, beach city into Godzilla of the Orange County coastline.

The great surf spots are on the north side (Seal Beach side) most of the winter/spring. But, the south side has great waves almost all year around.

Like all piers on the West Coast, it has received its share of damage from the terrible winter storms every year. But, it is the centerpiece of the whole beach front city, so it has been repaired for ease of public use and is central for city advertisements known as “Surf City.”

Jnaki

Many memories still hang around while looking at this area (including the pier) every time we drive by on the highway. Early morning, scary, surf paddle out in the dark through the middle of the pilings, great lunches from the snack bar under the restaurant, hanging out all day, waiting for the next surf session and later, 1967-68 concerts just across the street at the quaint, Golden Bear venue.

Picture Janis Joplin screaming just 3 feet away from your table, singing: “Piece of My Heart…” Hearing loss was greater than from Lions Dragstrip, that was for sure…
    upload_2018-5-3_16-53-40.png

12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

36286F7E-958F-43AE-844A-2A0DA98D1F37.jpeg

Hey , Ron, we stopped at a cafe in Shartlesville last year for breakfast. It was wonderful, family sytle. What was weird was it was in an old hotel that also had a bar. I looked at the bar and at the bottom of the bar was a tile lined trough leading to a drain. I asked the gal there about it ,she said back in the day only men were allowed in the bar and they would drink beer and piss right at the bar. I kid you not!

We also came through your valley the other day, didn’t realize that’s where you lived, stopped in at the Harley dealership. Would have looked you up , if I’d known you lived there when we were there. Bones

13. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

14. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

15. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^^^ You don't get much more "redneck" that the Uranus Fudge Factory, I'm guessing ! :D

16. Schweden roadtrip 2015 302.JPG

the big bengt museum in Sweden, this guy collected tons of everything like giant crankshafts! it is inside a huge western town, cars, typewriters, steam engines, just everything. over three stores.

17. Schweden roadtrip 2015 423.JPG
    just if you wondered, where it is. a well known van from the eighties, he is also hidden in the Big Bengts Museum....he was in so many custom car magazines at his time.

18. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

“Vegas Rat Rods” TV show room in Las Vegas.

IMG_1292.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

IMG_1454 2.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

[​IMG]This is in Nebraska on a family farm

21. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

22. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

23. wvenfield

wvenfield

That one on the left going muddin?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

SANY0070 (1).JPG SANY0062.JPG SANY0063.JPG SANY0065.JPG SANY0060.JPG SANY0059.JPG Found this place in Al SANY0058.JPG SANY0054.JPG

25. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

26. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

27. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

Dorothy I think[​IMG] we are in Kansas

28. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

29. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-5-9_3-46-57.png LBCD photo Huntington Beach Pier
    Historic Piers with hot rod ties...and unusual facts.
    Hello,

The recent photo taken by LBCD at the famous Huntington Beach Pier in So Cal gave me the idea to list those piers that are Cool Roadside Attractions. Almost every coastal city in California had, at one time, a pier or two jutting out in the ocean. Some are simple and others are odd/interesting in a way. Some have significant involvement with hot rods and cruisers.

Throughout the years, the weather beat them to death, the huge southern/northern storms whipped the ocean up, enough to destroy some piers and they were torn down. Some big cities realized that these piers have tourist value and have rebuilt them. The east coast has/had them, but the upsurge of hurricanes did a number on most of them.

Jnaki

These are some of the ones that have some interest to most travelers that come out West to visit all of California. During our long stay in So Cal, we have driven up and down the coast many times. The sight of these piers is a reminder that we are part of the ocean environment and the feeling is increased as you drive out or walk out to the ends of the piers. But, it is a strange feeling driving over water in your hot rod or cruiser, or any car for that matter.

HUNTINGTON BEACH PIER: “SURF CITY” as it is known, has a new city pop up all along the Coast Highway, geared toward people visiting the pier. A well known surf spot and garnishes many international surfing contests and big time events. Hot rods/woodies are allowed on the pier if there is a specific car show.
    upload_2018-5-9_3-50-29.png Ruby's at the end of the pier.

MALIBU PIER

upload_2018-5-9_3-52-0.png upload_2018-5-9_3-52-15.png upload_2018-5-9_3-54-49.png

This pier (one of the shortest 780 feet) is an attraction because of the waves and the possibility of seeing a movie star or two. Homes are on either side of the beach area. The famous Malibu Surfrider Beach is just steps up the shoreline where “Gidget” was filmed. Parking is at a premium…

SANTA MONICA PIER at the Western end of Route 66
    upload_2018-5-9_3-57-34.png Vnak photo
    This pier has its own historical fact that it is at the very western end of the USA, cross country, driving Route 66. It has grown from a simple fishing pier in 1909 to the entertainment giant on the beach . The pier is a wonderful place to spend a couple of hours just strolling to see an actual, popular, L.A. beach. Santa Monica Beach is located on the Northside and just down the South side, Venice Beach.

upload_2018-5-9_3-55-25.png

STEARNS WHARF IN SANTA BARBARA:
    upload_2018-5-9_3-58-3.png upload_2018-5-9_3-58-18.png
    Stearns Wharf is one of the few piers that allow driving out to the end area of the pier. Its old rickety, wooden planks seem like they will collapse when chugging over them. Parking is so narrow that you have to be “Plastic Man” to get out of your car to visit the place. (New car or hot rod? Watch out for those door dings.)

One great thing about Stearns Wharf…if you are visiting during one of the big winter swells, you are treated to some of the fastest waves in So Cal, just off the north side of the pier, along the end of the harbor jetty. It is called “Sandspit,” and it does…
    upload_2018-5-9_3-59-17.png w.woodworth photo
    upload_2018-5-9_3-59-54.png SANDSPIT
    SANTA CRUZ PIER COMES IN AS THE LONGEST
    “Are you looking for the most exercise, and most invigorating pier walk in California? Santa Cruz has it! Ranked as the longest over the water, public pier in California, you better plan for at least a half an hour journey to reach the end and head back to dry dock again. Over half a mile long, this 2,745 foot long wooden wharf structure first built in 1914 is located in the heart of Santa Cruz's fun zone--the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.”
    upload_2018-5-9_4-1-23.png

Another pier with allowed driving out to the parking areas
    upload_2018-5-9_4-1-54.png
    There have been many hot rod shows here and one of the more famous events is the woody show on the pier. The view is almost 270 degrees of the bay.

THE STRANGEST PIER: a tie between the San Mateo and the Crystal Pier cottages
    upload_2018-5-9_4-5-9.png
    upload_2018-5-9_4-5-43.png
    This place was such a strange place to visit, but in the mid 60s, we visited it just because it was next to the longest drawbridge in the USA, the San Mateo-Hayward Drawbridge. It was eerie as the roadway was so low to the waters of the SF Bay. The drives up here from San Jose, during the college days, gave us a calm, but, eerie driving feeling, being so low to the water.

“ The Werder Fishing Pier is located along the Foster City shoreline, just south of the existing San Mateo/Hayward Bridge, and can be accessed from Beach Park Boulevard. Werder Pier is 30 feet wide and 4,055 feet long and extends into the deepwater shipping channel.

San Mateo, Calif. --San Mateo Pier is the longest pier in California, though it sits closed and unused right now. The 4,000 foot long (5,280 feet equals 1 mile) cement structure runs parallel beneath the San Mateo/Hayward Bridge.

The pier was originally part of the old San Mateo-Hayward drawbridge, a bridge which, when opened in 1929, was the world’s longest highway bridge (12 miles in total length, with 7 1/10 miles over water). However, it had become too small for the increased traffic of the late 1960s. Instead of simply tearing down the entire bridge, part was turned into a fishing pier. After opening in 1972, the pier became one of the most heavily visited piers in the area and one noted for its production of sharks and rays—as well as quite a few sturgeon.”

CRYSTAL PIER IN SAN DIEGO:beach cottages on the pier
    upload_2018-5-9_4-9-17.png
    The second, “odd” pier arrangement was/is the Crystal Beach Pier in San Diego. (just North of Mission Bay and Sea World) Built in 1930’s it has gone through many upgrades. My dad took our family there in 1956 to stay, as he loved fishing, off of the pier and down the beach, from the sand.
    upload_2018-5-9_4-10-11.png upload_2018-5-9_4-10-30.png
    You can drive out onto the pier, but you must be a temporary resident from one of those cottages located on the pier.

Do you want a nice, long, coastal cruise in your hot rod or cruiser/family wagon? These are the main piers along the way from South to North in California. (NOT FOR WINTER STORM DAY VISITS...)