Register now to get rid of these ads!

Miller & Ryan's Hunt For A Camper...

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ryan, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

So, like I said when I opened this new little forum - Miller wants to go camping. The thing is, I'm not much of a camper or an outdoorsman - at all. But if the kid wants to go camping, I'm gonna make damn sure he goes camping.

With that in mind, I figured I might as well get a vintage camper so that I can use it for all my Jalopy Journal events as well. Two birds with one stone...

So the hunt began. Keep in my mind, I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to these things. All I really know is that I DON'T want a huge project. I'd like to get the boy camping this summer so a full build is absolutely out of the question. But I'm not afraid of a little work and I'd really like to get Miller out in the shop doing some wood working too... So what I'd like to find is something with really solid bones, no leaks, and a decent look to it.

Here is my first find:

00000_fmaMBemSfTG_1200x900.jpg 00b0b_ea5PEDU8pWA_1200x900.jpg 00S0S_1U76F7lTQvY_1200x900.jpg 00T0T_ir4xzY04PjC_1200x900.jpg 00u0u_3CFx0KSKQaa_1200x900.jpg 00u0u_79HgYFfYozf_1200x900.jpg 00303_j496nyf8PW7_1200x900.jpg

It's a 1957 ElJay... and I absolutely love it. It's almost exactly what I'm looking for... I found it on craigslist in Colorado and started negotiating soon after. It sold before I could reach an agreement with the owner. I think he got $12k for it.

So the hunt continues. I've already got another in the crosshairs, but I don't want to post it just yet as I don't want to jinx the deal. If and when it happens, I'll update this thread.

2. Just make sure you look for water leaks and soft floors,12 grand should get you a well restored camper.

If they say it's been restored ask for photos. HRP

tb33anda3rd, enloe and Stogy like this.
  3. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Man that thing is super nice for $12K. Whoever bought it got a great deal. There's a lot of crap out there for that price or more.

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy Timewarp Batman...:D

5. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

Boy Scouts do a lot of camping. you both could join

6. wsdad

wsdad

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Miller is a lot like me when it comes to organizations... He's not into them.

The reproduction stuff doesn't do it for me really... I'd like something more obscure than a shasta for irrational reasons.

8. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

They get snapped up quick but if your willing to pay that amount for plug and play you should find something decent. Good hunting.

9. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

If you get a trailer with a gas fridge, park it LEVEL, old gas fridges are more finiky than the more modern ones.

10. Hey look, over there.....
    I see The Vintage Trailer Journal on the horizon.

Enjoy the next chapter with your son

55Deso likes this.
  11. NoSurf

NoSurf

Roothawg likes this.
  12. I built a teardrop,Atomic Aqua Boomerang Formica in the cooking station , 59 Caddy tail lights ( they actually looked good ) All the plans , fenders ,and Hardware is available . I think the company name was Desert Teardrops. Don`t know if you want to build or buy. We all need another project eh?

13. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

This should probably be my motto.

enloe and slv63 like this.
  14. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

You are right on here Ryan. We have been going to vintage trailer rallies for a couple-three years now. Shasta's are like Tri-5 Chevy's. They are nice and they are really common.

We were given a free 1960 Platt 12-footer (owner tried to give it away for a couple of years - it was rough'ish). Cleaned it up and have been using it for a couple of years. We have found it to be very unusual. Unusual brand and unusual floor plan. We have never seen this brand, or its floor plan. After considering purchasing a restored trailer, we instead fell so in love with this free-bee that we are having it totally restored ($10k+) in a couple of months. In this hobby, nothing strange to drop 10 g's on an free trailer. :)

15. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Electric brakes for the trailer and a weight distributing hitch for the tow vehicle. Just sayin.

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Bought a 59 Shasta 4 years back.. interior is 100% original and no leaks. the outside skins are good.but a little denty.... we love it and I use it for overnite hot rod events.... I really dislike camping.

Attached Files:

enloe, 55Deso, Ron Funkhouser and 2 others like this.
  17. NoSurf

NoSurf

Here's a '65 Frolic that Crazy Uncle Harry and I tried to sell. It was/is rough, but really cool.

Frolic.jpg

18. No Surf,
    I've finally convinced myself it's unsavable in it's current condition. It's home in the driveway, and the approved plan is to strip it down and make a more classically shaped canned ham like this one. Which does look good with a 4 door Hudson tow vehicle too.
    30073351_1008428525976805_4244164144231333509_o.jpg

Stogy, patmanta, tb33anda3rd and 7 others like this.
  19. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Stogy, 55Deso, tractorguy and 2 others like this.
  20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I saw that one... I agree... a little detail work and it could be pretty cool. I'm still stuck on that silver bullet we've been talking about though. There's been some developments and I should know by tomorrow what's up.

KCTA Chris likes this.
  21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's not a done - done deal yet... but it looks like Miller just bought himself one of these...

3be0122ae9fd35ebddb3ec4fef55474f.jpg

It's pretty damned nice as is... but Miller has plans for creature comforts. I'll try to get him to start a build thread when the time comes. H'e gotta lot of lawns to mow!

enloe, Moriarity, 55Deso and 17 others like this.
  22. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

This makes me smile, as my 12 year old son bought a square body Chevy last year, all OG with 56,000 miles on it, to do a build for his first car. He is using the First Bank of Lawn Mowing for financing as well.

Well... and dad helps too.I'm matching his earnings dollar for dollar. You have to support a kid building an old truck any way you can.

Tell Miller congrats on finding a cool old camper to travel with!

tractorguy likes this.
  23. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Yes!

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Well... I spoke too soon. Came to a price with the seller in LA. He will take cash and cash only. No wire. No cashiers check. And since I’m in Texas, I can’t make that happen. Bummed.

25. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Man I wish I was still in SoCal....I would buy this trailer and slap a huge mark up (1 dollar for the convenience fee :)) and sell it back to you. Sorry it didn't work out. Were all watching for Miller to get his trailer. Find something in Utah and I have you covered......

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, super weird... I had a close friend go look at it. The trailer was everything it was said to be. I then negotiated with the seller. We reached an agreed upon price and everything was cool. He just won't accept anything other than $100 bills. At first I thought maybe I was dealing with a stolen trailer or something, but it has the title and all that... The seller is a pretty young guy... I just don't know. Bummed... But I guess it wasn't mean to be.

27. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I'm sure its pretty common today with all the scammers out there.

Fill up a bag with $$ and road trip to get it. Austin to LA isn't all that far!

28. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D And so the adventure begins.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

enloe likes this.
  29. gonzo

gonzo

Boy Scouts are a lot of things, organized is not one of them. Me and my son are involved and its been pretty good but I like your plan better.

Looking forward to seeing the new rig, you should consider selling me your Tudor or Sinn at a firesale price to help cover the cost of your new camper.

Normant93 likes this.
  30. nightmoves

nightmoves

For what it's worth... there's a forum as this, but for teardrops and tiny trailers (less than 16'). Often, stuff posted in classified.
    http://tnttt.com

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app