Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 26 Tall T Raked Hotrod Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 27Roadsterguy, May 3, 2018.

1. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

Ok, so here i go again...

I had to sell my 27 Roadster, money got tight, blah, blah, blah....
    New chapter- I just bought what looks to be a fairly solid 1926 Tall T coupe to build and this time I actually have some cash to build it with. The plan is to build it on a "raked" frame. Some people like the look and others simply hate it. What I'm talking about is a frame that has a "pie" cut right at the firewall and then the back half of the frame is lifted up to tilt the entire body forward a few degrees. I know that "back in the day" there were a lot of cars built this way for a raked hotrod look and I simply love it. I don't want it extreme, but definitely want it noticeable. I'll post a few pics of what i bought and the look I'm wanting below. Obviously, the orange car is the "look" photo I am referring to...

Attached Files:

2. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

I know that transverse rear springs are traditional and that they work, but do the kits like Speedway Motors sell work properly? Photo below... I would just think that having the fully enclosed rear crossmember would simply work better, but I've been wrong before.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. brady1929

brady1929

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The example looks broken.

5. 6sally6

6sally6

IF I had a 27 tall T.......I would want it like the orange one. Does sitting in it keep scoot'in you toward the dash?!
    That might get old quick.
    6sally6

6. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that if I have the seat made with the lower cushion designed in the reverse angle of the body you'd sit flat, but your feet would still have a slight angle down in the floor.

7. A Boner

A Boner

image.png I like it! It's definitely on the wild side.....stance, color, and engine! I'd probably do a 1" or 2" less channel..... just for more interior room, but it still would have the wild look.

Dean Lowe, BigO, exterminator and 7 others like this.
  8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I dig it. The only thing I don't care for is the trimmed cowl. I'd have slid the body back a couple inches/engine forward an inch to avoid that. Does that car have a rear mounted radiator?
    I've been picking up T Coupe parts for some time with plans to build a raked, channeled Coupe. I'm only short a deck lid and one door to having a complete body.

brad2v likes this.
  9. A Boner

A Boner

image.png To me the trimmed cowl just adds to the wild look....just like the throttle linkage shooting out the cowl vent! I really like the white zoomies too.
    Another pic.

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I like it !!! Different is good and can be real cool. Yours will definitely draw the eye weather at driving down the road or at a show. Betcha :cool:

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Heck I have one of those wood/steel 8 sided steering wheels that would fit in with that style .:cool:

12. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

I agree about less channel and I'm not sure about the radiator location on that car, but I'm planning to run mine up front where it belongs.

GasserTodd and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

Condors T.jpg To my eye, it needs a bit more wheelbase as the engine is too squashed in there - too "cartoony" maybe.

The other T Coupe which I suggest is directly comparable is the Stoner/Conder one pictured above, and that body was shortened to get the proportions bang on the money.

BigO, exterminator, Okie Pete and 3 others like this.
  14. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not really sure how your seat will work. My old coupe was channeled 3 inches but level. The seat bottom was about 3 1/2 inches tall at the front to about an inch at the back.
    [​IMG]

with my seats, the raised front section was about the only support for the back of your legs. Had it not been this way, my legs would have been cramping all the time and would have been uncomfortable

it would be worth your time to try and find a coupe close to what you are looking to build and make sure you would be able to handle the seating position

BigO, Okie Pete, Texas57 and 3 others like this.
  15. silent rick

silent rick

what plans do you have for cooling?

16. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

Ironically the orange car that is pictured above is local to St. Louis and a friend of mine apparently knows the owner, so the plan is to go see, sit in, look at the design of the car etc. before I do any mods to mine. I want to know I'm going to be happy with it before I start. If it's not comfy to drive it'll end up a garage decoration and I DRIVE my cars. My daily driver is a 57 Chevy sedan...

P.S. nice interior in your car.

17. The example is probably double trouble. I got an idea that it has a swept frame and the body is angle channeled as well to give it a little extra oomph.

It is a look that some like and others don't. I love a phone booth, and the Uncertain T is one of my all time favorite cars. But for me personally maybe a little more subtle (says the guy building the Crosley with 20+ present engine setback :oops:) is what I would be after. Not me personally going to be building or driving it though.

[​IMG]

18. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I think you have to be of a certain age to like that style. I am of that age.
    If some is good, more is better, and too much is just right.

19. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

The name of the orange example car is the "T Bag"... I think I'd of chosen another name for it, but to each their own...

kidcampbell71 and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  20. A Boner

A Boner

There probably isn't enough room up front for a radiator. Width of the radiator is fixed.....the only way to go bigger is to make it taller. Much taller and it will start to look wrong.

Just Gary and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

I don't think I'll need nearly as much radiator as the orange car, I don't have "hemi" money... I'll more than likely run a S.B.C. or a S.B.F. I gotta admit, I'm really a Chevy guy at heart, but I love early Ford bodies... I also have 3 Chevy engines sitting in my garage.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  22. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

The proportions on the orange T strike me as being just about perfect. I think the long cowl looks better...the short cowl puts way more emphasis on the vertical lines of the body, makes it look taller than it is. Either way, the tightly packaged dimensions are a welcome contrast to all the "long rods" out there.
    Engine-wise, a SBC will have less visual bulk in the engine compartment to offset the visual weight of the tall body. Part of why the orange T works is it has that big 'ol hemi up front.

Maybe try it with model kits first?? Altered States Resin does an unchopped '27 coupe body. Having 3D parts to mess around with can be even more useful than Photoshop mockups.

Hombre, brEad and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

ALL THIS TIME, I THOUGHT THAT THE BODY WAS JUST JACK UP IN THE REAR.

24. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

Theres no rule that says the floor, once inside the frame rails, cant drop down in front of the seat to below the frame rails height in order to make a semi-flat/horizontal floor that is more comfortable for your legs, ankles and feet.

Like KevKo, Im of the age which loves this style of hot rod (I blame the AMT models I got as a kid), but Im also of the age that needs some level of comfort to cover distance when driving.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  25. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My old coupe now lives in Carthage Mo in case you get down that way. Another HAMBer owns it now

Tman likes this.
  26. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

So you used to own the orange car? Seems sad to me that anyone would part with such a neat rod. My next door neighbor is Jeff Zohner, he said he used to work for the guy that built that car.

27. 6sally6

6sally6

GasserTodd likes this.
  28. 6sally6

6sally6

Hard to beat the snotty idle of a SBF compared to the SBC. They just sound better than chevys (but I'm a Ford guy so........??)
    You ARE "gonna cam-the-crap" out of it.....right??!! I mean...why build it if it gonna idles like an Altima?!

brEad likes this.
  29. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I always liked the engine setback and hacked up cowl on Littleman's Death's Doorstep. Might be a way to get crazy proportions, though you'll probably have to drive your coupe from the very back of the car.

Stoners T from another angle. Might want to study this one too.

STONER-T_P17_11.jpg deaths door.jpg

30. Hombre

Hombre

I also love the look of the orange car and I am 12 years older than dirt, so it is not just an age thing. I also like the car that "GasserTodd" posted but those damn "T's" are small enough inside without cutting them down front to back if you are actually going to drive the thing, the proportions are just about perfect on that car though.

On the orange car it appears not to have a drastically raked frame, but it is that raked channel as beaner mentioned making it have that look more than anything.

One thing you will need to keep in mind is not to make it look to much like a clown car. This car can have that look and not be clownish at all, but you will need to be tasteful in your approach. Also it is damn hard to beat the deep horsepower growl of the SBC, over the tinny sound of the SBFord. Chevys just sound better than Fords, but I am a Mopar guy so what do I know? I do know I like to stir the pot once it's been started though.

Last edited: May 4, 2018