Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Welcome to Uncle Sam's Pie Eating Contest (USPEC)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Feb 12, 2018.

1. I like them smokey burnouts. Been a few years since I've been to the Meltdown Drags, might have to make the trip...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I think this is a no burnout race.

loudbang and Finn Jensen like this.
  3. ^^^yup, you'll have to come to the Meltdown for those burnouts...

loudbang likes this.
  4. 62Furious

62Furious

saves on tires

loudbang likes this.
  5. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, that is the way that I remember it in the day. I'll be there solely as a spectator, and I'm really looking forward to it.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  6. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

The only smoke you are gonna see is the quarter mile of it off my pie crust slicks lmao

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Seems like this was asked on the previous USPEC thread, but I don't remember the answer......Since this is supposed to be as close to a 1966 event as possible, will the usual track prep be skipped? Or reduced?

chryslerfan55 and Finn Jensen like this.
  8. The track will be prepped as usual. The owner is non-negotiable on this due to his safety concerns. He may go light though. We will see..........

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  9. 1947knuck

1947knuck

There's no way we can be there this year it's our busiest time of the year, especially this year of no rain and irrigation demands. We've been wanting to take our car to an event like this since it was built. Hopefully next year with this car. IMG_2238.JPG

TBirdGirl26, loner2, Stebo27 and 16 others like this.
  10. you don't really need much track prep if you tire prepped. the raiders hook.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. upload_2018-4-14_9-34-45.jpeg
    very nice rail, hope to see you next year, that'll fit in nicely.

12. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Just ran across this video.

dan31, stupesnova, 55belairx2 and 7 others like this.
  13. Did anyone notice the dry hops being performed? This video is a great example of how it was done. This event was a national event. The pre race action is kind of tame compared to what went on during a booked in match race. During those races dry hops and rosin burn outs were done over and over again until the driver felt the car had the traction it needed to run its best. With each launch the fans got more excited and the cars jumped around more as the traction got better. The pre race show was a show in itself. Sometimes better than the actual race. This posted video is not a one of a kind freak. I have a tremendous collection of video from this era. They all did it this way no matter the track or area of the country. Later in 65 the tires started to smoke during the dry hops. Not the burnouts seen today but they did produce smoke. The fast cars in this videos are running mostly high nines. By seasons end many teams were solidly in the eights.

14. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Didn't notice the dry hops. Just thought it was a cool video......Plus Dick Harrell's 66 Chevy II makes for a great preview shot. :cool:

loudbang, Tickety Boo and enloe like this.
  15. jimdillon

jimdillon

5118 003r1.jpg Enloe, you had said "You know we will need pics when you get done."-so whatever it is worth the new slicks are mounted and the slapper bars are history (now replaced with bolt on Traction Masters) which you can make out in front of slicks). Car is not a giant killer by any stretch as it is pretty stock. It runs kind of like a swiss watch ( I hope I don't curse it) so at the most I will do a soft tune (set the valves, new plugs, set the timing & cross my fingers) for the event. Looking forward to it for sure-not so far away now. Car is pretty dark and so is the picture, sorry about that Enloe.

16. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Man Jim your car is AWESOME:)

17. jimdillon

jimdillon

Thanks Enloe, I remember dragging it home on the back of my cousin's wrecker back in 1977. Had an engine with a window in it, so I went to Penske Chevrolet and tried to order one of three 327 engines. The parts counter told me none were available with the horsepower I wanted but they took my number. Out of the blue they said they found a 327/365 shortblock in the crate on a shelf at Tonowanda and when I went to pick it up the guys at the parts counter wanted me to open the crate so they could look at it-engine is still in the car. I gave it a lick and a shine restoration to get it on the road. Since then it has gone through a couple of updates but I have enjoyed it since the day I bought it. Spent many times in my buddy's 61 back in the 60s and whenever I get in my black car it never fails to take me back. Thanks for the compliment.

18. SLCK64

SLCK64

^^^^

Thanks for that short story! Cool!

loudbang and jimdillon like this.
  19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Jim some people just have old cars (like me :() but you have a masterpiece. ;)

20. I'll be looking for ya Jim.....

loudbang likes this.
  21. jimdillon

jimdillon

"I'll be looking for ya Jim..."

Looking forward to it and as I said if anything it will make for a great photo op with two old Vettes doing what they are supposed to be doing. I guess the only modification I may have to add to my "soft tune" it to cross my fingers on both hands now.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and enloe like this.
  22. jimdillon

jimdillon

As an aside the black 62 Vette that may make a bit of a statement at the event is Bald 1 great build that he just completed. I believe he said he is on track to make the event-which would be great IMO. I don't believe I will call him out (for obvious reasons), although 2 black 62s side by side may also make for a great picture. Maybe under the Byron Dragway sign may be more appropriate-I hope.

Resized_20180421_172332_01.jpeg.jpg

23. ^^^wowza!^^^

cactus1 and loudbang like this.
  24. Cool stuff, I like.

loudbang likes this.
  25. jimdillon

jimdillon

James (saltflats) your car is one car that always takes me back so don't sell your self or your car short. How many guys can say they are peddling a 409 through the quarter mile. The first really fast car I drove was a 1963 Impala with a 409. Still remember it well and fondly. I later owned a 63 Impala with a 327 but was on the prowl with for a 409. I bought the car from my mother in law but my "wonderful" wife (now ex) suggested I sell it when money was a bit tight. Sold it to my cousin for peanuts (he still owns the car I believe) but I have a real soft spots for the early Chevys with a 409.

26. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

For anyone who will be in the Byron area on the day before U.S.P.E.C. these guys will be playing outdoors, on the square in nearby Mt. Morris. The concert starts at 7pm Friday evening and the price is right......FREE. Not exactly 1966 music, but they are EXCELLENT!!!

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Well it's only a few weeks from now and we will be running an event like no other! The field is shaping up nicely. We still have room for more so if you haven't committed yet, it's time to sh*t or get off the pot! We have some nice fun stuff for everyone running, t-shirts, stickers etc. Also a unique vintage trophy for each class winner. 2nd and 3rd will also get a little something... We are going to be a little more lenient for the first go at this so if little things like interior are not right but the rest is good, go ahead and get registered. It sounds like Towel City is quite a bit backed up so unless you have yours already, you will need to go with another brand, like Radir (our sponsor). Let us know if you have any questions!!!

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    chryslerfan55, SLCK64 and loudbang like this.
  28. 62Furious

62Furious

Well I have done a little work on the Furious over the winter and I think I am ready for this show.

Attached Files:

29. ...will there be a special parking area for old cars that attend as spectators?

chryslerfan55 and Finn Jensen like this.