Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lack of Diversity on the HAMB?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by 5window, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I'm guilty of reading on the Hamb far more than I post.

I love to take videos and post them on Youtube and I have started posts in the past of things I thought would interest the bulk of people here but most of the time someone has apparently complained that they saw a glint of billet or something in the video and poof, away goes my post so that gets a little tiring after a while so I don't bother with that sort of thing here much. It's not that I went away from the Hamb since there is such an immense amount of posts that I find interesting.

2. LOL you got me. :D :D :D

3. Those that CAN, DO! Those that can't, post worthless threads on the HAMB.....

4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Some people start a thread about losing their gas cap and get tons of praise. Others start a thread about a build and get flamed for having one thing that's not pre 1964 on their car. Others start threads that could be interesting and get flamed because its their third post that day.
    Just cant always win

5. I'm not even going to post on this thread..

6. scotts52

scotts52

It seems that some people are on a quest to see how many threads they can start, not because they're actually seeking out information. It's frustrating to see the HAMB filled up with so many. It pushes the more relevant ones further down.,

7. Maybe we should just put a big ole search button on the home page, turn out the lights and log off. Its all been done before. I mean isn't that the result of insisting on "traditional" only content... It has all been done before by definition...
    We are just copying what the guys that came before have done, and trying to do it with as many of the exact same parts that they used.
    It is easy to get jaded when every info request post has some version of the following responses (usually multiple times):
    "Use the search button, this has been covered many times". Can you imagine if everyone approached hot rodding this way? I am trying to get my daughters boyfriend interested in traditional hot rods and he has lots of questions...imagine if I told him to go ask my nephew because I already covered this with him... i will just ignore the fact that the response my nephew gives him will probably generate even more questions...or my nephew, having been trained by me, will give him half of the info he needs and then refer him to someone else that he has explained it to already. Who wins with this line of thought?
    "Just do what ever you like" with the underlying unspoken caveat 'as long as its "traditional"' But, what if I wasn't around 70 years ago when "traditional" was being created... i guess I can just refer to the search button and hope for the best.
    And finally... after searching and deciding what I like and posting the results, there is the "you should haves and you could haves"... usually (not always) from the same people that didn't want to bother sharing info in the first place.
    so, I have learned to use the search. If I don't find the answer after spending an hour or so, I just move on to a different site or make some calls.
    Another thing I have learned in my time here is that back when the common guys were building traditional hot rods they must have had big shops with frame tables, planishing hammers, English wheels, tube benders, metal breaks, tig welders, mig welders, blasting cabinets, drill presses, band saws, chop saws, etc.
    This really crushed my idyllic view of hot rodders being guys like my granddad just back from the war ripping the fenders of the old coupe in the side yard in front of the one car shed/garage, or my dad hopping up his 50 Ford in front of that same shed 20 years later... or me building my first car (78 Pontiac) in front of that same building 20 years after that.... three generations, one little garage and basic hand tools... all of us taking an affordable 15 year old car and making it go faster with parts that were readily available at the time.... my car may have not been HAMB traditional but it certainly was traditional in my family.
    Chappy

vtwhead, 56don, Happydaze and 2 others like this.
  8. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

I believe the HAMB means a little something different to all of us. Meaning, some use it as a social media tool for like minded gearheads and post interesting human interest stories. Others post highly educational threads for those of us that need the education. Some people have lots of free chair time and spend it here, many of them feel they "know" other members and have created great friendships even though they haven't even met. I really believe free time plays a huge roll in the number of threads and post we make, the heavy posters just have more time and are being social, many times being very helpful, me? I jump in and out based on the free time I have, I usually try and catch a tech based thread and follow it long before a social one. None of my stuff is interesting enough to share anyway!

9. Since I see my handle appearing in a few replys,I have worked hard the majority of my life and my part time job offers me a lot of free time,I do what I need to do and being available keeps me at the desk,therefore I do spend a lot of time on my favorite site.

I try to offer insightful thoughts and interject humor when possible,I do my best to treat everyone with respect but at the end of the day I still have a few that wish I would just go away.

It was noted that when this thread was started HRP had posted 17% of the 30 threads on the first page,as of now,at this point in time I see zero threads started by yours truly,the hamb moves fast and if a post is informative,relative,technical or remotely interesting in any way,regardless of who post it,be me or one of my numerous antagonist it will take on a life of it's own.

I don't use electric fans & aluminum radiators but if you like it I'm OK with it,is it traditional?,no it's not but it's your car is my thoughts.

I have started some threads that get a lot of feedback and I have seen threads by way more interesting members drop page after page with little to no reply's,I don't have the answer for that.

It's true some threads I have posted are simply off the wall but if members don't find them interesting or funny they drop like lead balloons.

It's also true that there are many members that are considerably more knowledgeable about building engines, Jim & Beano come to mind but there are many others and in that field I am a total hack.

As for me posting a lot of topics,the Good Lord granted me with the gift of gab and Ryan left the soap box where I could find it.

Another member pointed out peoples fear of being flamed,all I can say is you should have been here when I joined,after my initial introduction post which I posted a exceptional one I might add,the fireworks started!

My first mistake was the caps lock was on and this was my first time posting on any internet forum,I was ripped to shreds and thought long and hard about ever posting here again,Denise sent me a PM and explained about the caps lock and a few other things but thick skin was paramount at that time.

Bottom line is if you want to contribute,do so,if reading is what you want to do,go for it.
    We all have different ideas of what you like and dislike about the hamb,personally I see nothing at all wrong,fact is it just keeps getting better as time goes on.

At the end of the day I can lay my head down and sleep knowing I don't have a axe to grind with any of the Hamb members.

OK,flame away,I'm a old fart and I can take it. :D HRP

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  10. A Man Should Do What He Thinks Best! "The Duke"

traffic61 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. Well said HRP! "As for me posting a lot of topics, the Good Lord granted me with the gift of gab and Ryan left the soap box where I could find it."

12. Going to be in the 70's today.:) I am going for a drive in a Hot Rod!:cool: Putting the top down and it will not go up again until Winter, unless I get caught in the rain (maybe).:D

13. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, we have a WD-40 in progress

Chrisbcritter, LAROKE, blowby and 2 others like this.
  14. Your damned intro wasn't that interesting, hey wait a minute I wasn't here yet. LOL

Flaming used to be a right of passage and if you were really important Germ would light into you. He never lit into me ( uh I don't think) but he still scared the living begeezus out of me. I would read his diatribe and understand it, if that don't scare you then you are probably a sociopath. o_O:eek::rolleyes::D:D:D

Jim ( @squirrel ) is actually better with an engine than I am. I am just lucky when it comes to things mechanical. ;)

Our world as a group is evolving, I seldom tell anyone to go have an intimate relationship with themselves any more. For example. A lot of what we hash has been hashed and rehashed, but as we change we often have a different perspective so I don't see a real problem with reposting a topic that was posted just last year. I do have a problem with 3 people asking the same question in the same day and all of it on the front page. But I just don't bother posting on the other two.

I am not as active posting an original thread as I am answering a question or going all unicorn ( think Irish Rovers her not rainbows) on a thread that needs to be taken off the rails.

I figure to each his own. Sometimes I don't log on at all, those days you really wouldn't want me to anyway.

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Irregardless if the sun comes out today, I'm gonna do something productive and go sit in my lawn chair and watch the grass grow.:D
    Carry on Danny

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HI Beaner
    Always cracks me up when they call you Bener

porknbeaner likes this.
  17. trollst

trollst

For me it's a different issue altogether, I quit handing out my (what little expertise I have), based on some of the armchair builders here have to say. It's a traditional board, and if you get caught with your pants down, you get it up the wazoo, yet others, depending on how popular they may be, get away with murder. EG, there's a series of posts that I enjoy and follow about a drag car here that isn't the remotest thing close to traditional, but is immensely interesting and has taught us all tons of interesting shit.
    But post a question on disc brakes? Good god, you'll feel the fire.
    Disagree with a popular member? Same thing, prepare for pm's criticising you for doing so.
    I love this board, it's right up my alley, but I tire of some of the self riteous on here, so, more and more, I just read rather than comment.

fauj, bct, INVISIBLEKID and 5 others like this.
  18. Something that took several Years for me to accept when working for Customers and trying to actually make a Buck. Don't measure everything by my own Yard Stick. You can suggest but not tell people to do or not to do certain things this way or that. If it goes totally against your principles just tell them your the wrong Guy for the job, you don't need to get specific (in other words, no need to flame). It's kind of like being at a big Cruze In and you can spot the Cars you have no interest in so you just walk past. You can stop and look one over and still have no need to make a Comment. Same thing here on the H.A.M.B. It's not a one size fits all but it's pretty dang comfy.
    The Wizzard

HOTRODPRIMER and winduptoy like this.
  19. Hi beano,you know I love you brother! HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. Posting/starting a thread is a personal choice..people do it, or don't, for their own reasons. Nothing will change that.

Bottom line, people generally are a bit selfish..so they "take" what they can from this site, without consideration to "giving" something back in return.

The "giving back" may be in the form of starting a build thread, contributing with their own thoughts/pics., information, etc.

The search option can be quite beneficial if the thread title reflects the heart of the topic. An example for a title might be "Another day in paradise", the "heart"/content of the thread may be about a guy who just located and bought a one owner barn find Hot Rodded in the fifties '34 Ford, but you won't find information on this '34 Ford with a thread title search.

As for "that's already been discussed on an old thread", that may be the case, but thanks to our friends at photo bucket, the pics no longer appear.

This site has a lot to offer, if you take advantage of it, pointing out the few flaws is a cop out (which I'm aware of I just did).

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. Gman0046

Gman0046

I've always admired WTF's avatar but until F&J's post, I also never noted the fact she was carrying a carburetor. Shows where my minds at.

Gary

22. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Sum peeple dont rite guud........

F&J, Stogy, hrm2k and 2 others like this.
  23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Benno.........tsk, tsk, tsk. you are known for your mildly self deprecating humor....but never, ever, have I seen you stoop to Self Pity ! :eek:

But, okaaaay, I'll go along....you gotta know you are loved...errr....appreciated.....I mean, there have been lots of folks who enjoy your commentary.........even ME! :D

Ray

24. I feel ya, I have started build threads or threads on cars and get barely any replies. I don't post near as much as I used to, because what's the point? Meanwhile someone starts a thread on "does the jelly go on the top or bottom slice of bread in a PB&J sandwich?" and it's 10 pages long in a couple hours. I have a build thread right now on a 59 F100 I am doing, and it's lost so much momentum I am most of the time updating it with no responses. But I hope someone gets something out of it, if anything just to see some dipshit spending money on a worthless truck LOL.

25. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

You make a good point about the replies. But I can tell you that if you are doing a build thread its way beyond my skills.....I have no real input other than "that's awesome" so I don't reply. I do know that if you are posting the car is going to be bad ass and I have enjoyed your posts. So thanks for your posts

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. Chris,I thought you sold that truck? you score more cool cars & trucks than anyone on the hamb.

BTW,thanks for giving me a good subject to post a new topic,"Does the jelly go on the top or bottom slice of bread in a PB&J sandwich?"

I can hear the groans now !:D HRP

27. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Some threads don't deserve a needle.
    This is one of them.:(

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If you need more positive affirmation....and who doesn't like it?......just look at the 'viewed' count.....which always far exceeds the response number............the fact the viewers do not comment does not mean they did not enjoy or approve of the content.

Ray

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

This^^^^ ladies and gentlemen is what this place is all about. hrm2k really gets it.... It is about the history, and re living it

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Agreed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.