Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Glass '32 5 Window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Splitbudaba, Feb 6, 2017.

1. daveh1932

daveh1932
    from UK

Wishing you many years of happy Hot Rodding retirement.

Splitbudaba and rodncustomdreams like this.
  2. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Thanks.
    It's been a week retired, love it. Working on building permits, might break ground as early as next week. Will post as soon as I can, New Meadows and retirement is awesome!!!!!

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  3. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

View attachment 3908616 It's been a busy 9 days. They break ground on our new house on Monday. Found a 2008 GMC in Spokane. Drove up and bought it from a wonderful women who had lost her husband awhile back. Deal went so well we are invited back and got a hug before we left. Great truck, this is the newest I have ever driven, comfortable and good on gas. Started getting some parts for the 32. Any good glass guys out there? Recommendations near Idaho

loudbang likes this.
  4. Five window glass body, New Age in Conn. gets good reviews.

Phil

loudbang likes this.
  5. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Bob's Classic Auto Glass in Blachly, OR supplied the glass for the '31. Very knowledgeable and helpful

Splitbudaba and loudbang like this.
  6. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Thanks I will check him out!

loudbang likes this.
  7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

If you find a good glass guy, but does not have patterns for 5w, I have all original glass for 5w to make patterns from. I realize your body is chopped, but if there is anything I have that would help, let me know.

8. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Thanks I'll keep you in mind when I get ready. Thanks again!!

loudbang likes this.
  9. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Well, it’s been awhile. Forms are being poured as we speak. One day closer to getting back to my coupe. This time away has given me time to come up with new ideas for the coupe. So far we love New Meadows, today it’s 90 degrees in Star near Boise, where we sold our house , it’s 77 degrees here. Guess I won’t be needing Air conditioning for tooling around up here! I can get used to that. Time to go to the house sight and see what’s going on. Thanks

10. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

The framing is started today, parked my truck on the new garage floor. Found these old pics from 1964 at Maple Grove Dragway and some from Irwindale from the early 70's.

Attached Files:

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  11. daveh1932

daveh1932
    from UK

Cool photos, nice to see you are making progress on your other project.

rodncustomdreams and loudbang like this.
  12. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Miss working on the coupe! Been looking for gauges and maybe a cowl vent kit! Would like to find a 60’s Dixco tach, had one in my 57’ Chevy! Read thru my entire thread! Sure got a lot of great comments! Soon as I can I will resume the build with all the details! Retirement gives me more free time, getting accustomed to that!

13. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Thanks, how’s your ride doing?

loudbang likes this.
  14. daveh1932

daveh1932
    from UK

I’ve had a major issue with the transmission so that has been sucking up all my time and cash. However, I have just returned from 2 1/2 weeks holiday in California and had a great time, got to some rod events and collected a few more parts. Hope to be back on track with the coup soon

brEad, loudbang and Splitbudaba like this.
  15. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Sounds serious! Hope it doesn’t wound your wallet too much! House is coming along great , most of the walls are up and the roof trusses go up in 2 weeks along with the heating and plumbing! Sounds like you enjoyed California, might do the swing thru Califorrnia to Vegas and back up thru Utah once the coupe gets finished. Do you have the cowl vent in yours and if so how much do you use it?

rodncustomdreams and loudbang like this.
  16. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Decided to go with Mooneye gauges! Any comments on them would be appreciated. Had a Dixco tach in the 60’s and their half sweep tach looks just like it. Heard about some plastic issues?

loudbang likes this.
  17. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Also need input on cowl vent. Is it a must or would a fan under the cowl do the same thing! Maybe a better method, my back window is fixed! Maybe a couple vents in the floor behind the bulkhead with a push pull control? Anybody!!

loudbang likes this.
  18. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

New Age Motorsports will sell you a complete cowl vent kit to glass in. Really like the one in mine but I am still building so no driving experience.

SPark

19. A cowl vent is always a plus in any car, speaking from experience.

loudbang and Splitbudaba like this.
  20. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Sounds like I need to look into this more! What do you do when it rains?

loudbang likes this.
  21. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Close the vent. There should be a place for a seal and a drain. Most definitely hook a hose to the drain and route it out. I have cowl vents in all my cars and love them.

22. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Thanks

loudbang likes this.
  23. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

It has a recess the lid closes against and there is a rubber seal between the lid and that recess for a seal.

SPark

nam101.jpg nam102.jpg

24. maplefrm

maplefrm
    from Central IL

A cowl vent and a roll down back window will make your car much more comfortable, way better than rolling down the side windows. This is from 5 years experience.

25. swifty

swifty

I bought a Brookville roadster cowl top and vent and had a local glass guy router out and glass it into the cowl on my glass body. Trimmed a couple of inches around the vent hole and put the rest in the scrap pile. Expensive yes but you end up with a proper steel cowl vent. Only thing missing was the vent handle and Vintique or Bob Drake have them.
    Essential thing to have in the Summer.

31hotrodguy, loudbang and Splitbudaba like this.
  26. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Thanks for your responses! Wonder what would happen if I reversed the opening and took advantage of the high pressure area just in front of the windshield, like a cowl induction hood on a Camaro or Corvette? Just saying!!

loudbang likes this.
  27. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I've been thinking about adding something in all the space at the top of the firewall under the cowl lip.

28. Split, is it too late to fab up a roll-down back window? I have a cowl vent in my coupe, but to be honest I seldom use it! With the windshield open and the rear window down (a bit or all the way - depending on the need) there is more than enough air flow to keep me cool. There is a small matter of bugs in yer teeth on the highway.. but you'll get them through the vent as well! :eek:

Dave

29. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

I do like the clean look with no vent, I have the stainless hood hinge and SoCal makes a spear to finish the hinge line on the cowl! The top radiator shroud would need the trim to complete the line. I was thinking about a vent or two behind my aft bulkhead on the belly skin, like the top cowl vent, to let the air out under the car when the windshield is open for air. Might be a fun project when the time arrives!! Any comment will be appreciated!! Positive or negative!

loudbang likes this.
  30. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

F37E09DE-38EC-4C4B-8A5E-9813BD1266F5.jpeg Spent the last two days in Boise with my kids and wife! Had fun, worked on my sons 2007 Monte Carlo SS with 58000 miles. Went to the storage facility to move more stuff up to New Meadows, Idaho. Took this pic!

Butch M, brEad, Tim_with_a_T and 2 others like this.