Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anybody know how to speak "parts counter"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasoline Junkie, Apr 30, 2018.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

Me in the new Autozone: Where is your brake pad cement?
    Guy about 25 at counter: "What year car?"
    Me: 34 Ford with 60,s E-type Jaguar disk brakes.
    Kid: Huh??

Me at morning opening of long established O'reillys where they got rid of guys with knowledge and put in a new staff of mostly ladies about 25 or so: After waiting at the counter for at least 5 minuets with no one in sight she shows: "Can you help me"
    Counter person: " I'll be right back."
    Me: "I won"t"

Few years back at Shucks:
    "I'll take a starter for my '77 Chev. Silverado, half ton, 350."
    Him who is looking directly at the only '77 Chev. Silverado, half ton, 350."in the lot: "That it right there"?

Or me at Subway (off subject but ...........)
    Young lady makes up my order, takes it to the register. Lays it down and goes back to help the only other guy in the place.
    Me ordering a Whopper Jr. next door a few minuets later.

Since last year at about this time I am able to deal with some great white beards at the new Advance Auto Parts just down the road.

Truck64 likes this.
  2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Yep. I'm a parts guy at a Chevy dealer. Need a mirror for your late-model Silverado? 16 different options...per side. And our 'catalog' goes by GM RPO (option) codes. Heaven forbid it says 'heated electric mirror'. And I'm not new...14 years and counting. It sucks.

ClayMart, zzford and egads like this.
  3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Ah, the topic that never dies....

Needed header bolts, Generic header bolts. Had the size and even brought one with me. Counterman refused to do anything without year/make/model/trans/etc.; I used my smart phone to look up NAPA part number and asked counterman why he couldn't do that. Got a blank stare.

Needed a late model VW/Audi fuel filter. This filter cross references to a bunch of cars over a 10 year period. Autozone needed to special order it, wanted to charge me shipping and make me wait 5 days. Got it from Amazon for lower price, free shipping and delivered in two days.

Wanted a 4-5 Quart jug of Mercon V, instead of paying $6/quart. None at Autozone, NAPA, or Advance. Got it on Amazon for lower price and free shipping.

Ever wonder why Bezos is the richest guy in the US? Wonder no more. I recently bought shoelaces on Amazon. Shoelaces.

zzford likes this.
  4. You'd expect some different reaction ?
    That kind of stuff isn't normal nor an everyday occurance no matter how long it's been in your garage.

You could have piqued his interest first,
    It's an old hot rod, (pause)

1934 ford with jag E type blah blah blah.
    Bet you wouldn't have gotten the shocked huh knee jerk response

5. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

I can’t get a single interior trim/plastic without a vin these days, literally nothing, it’s how the computer works :/

flatheadpete likes this.
  6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Yep, take the time to make their job a little easier (I need that fromulax deal that connects to the herminator..) and work with them goes a long way. Thing is on-line is a two edged sword for them. Sad to say, unless I need something in a hurry the days of shopping at a physical box store for me have pretty much went the way of Harvest Gold refrigerators and shag carpet. I don't want the hassle.

7. yes, it's a subject that never dies

a couple observations from almost 9 years behind the counter:

1) i am still constantly amazed by people who will be working on their car that do not even know the year/make / model and motor...many times we have to run the license plate to find that information. YES....we have the ability to run license plates and VIN numbers and have to do so several times a day. i think it is sad we have to. why would you think you can put in new spark plugs and you don't know if it's a 4 cylinder or V-6?

2) people who have no way to accurately measure something and/or the ability to do so. if you are looking for a oddball seal for your whatever telling me it's maybe 2 or 2-1/4" OD doesn't get it done...

3) all parts guys are idiots is pretty much believed by the masses......but why when they have trouble with their car do they ask the pimple faced counter guy making $9 and hour for expert advice in diagnosing the problem?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I gave up on my local independent parts store. They had the books and I could get anything I wanted. I had a relationship but that only goes so far. They let me down....not the other way around.
    It started with generic, everything. No name oil.....no name antifreeze you know, convenience store stuff. Just junk.
    The last order I made was 45 bucks for 2 axle seals for the F1. It took 2 weeks to get them and C& G had them for 5 bucks apiece.:rolleyes:
    Also I paid super premium price for poo poo quality no name China brake shoes. I could have got raybestos top of the line riveted shoes much much cheaper from RockAuto.
    I've done my share for the local parts guy.

Autozone, Advance, Oreileys (Wal-Mart is Oreilleys) Pep Boys and even NAPA.
    It's all the same stuff now. It's all the same quality. Napa may have some holdover stock but for the most part, they're no different than the others.

Locally I prefer my Oreilleys. Those kids know they don't have a clue so they let me go through the fitting drawers behind the counter.

The big bellied "oldtimer" at NAPA would not let me pick brake fittings....he had to do it. He was trying to sell me stuff for ice makers.
    He also had a bunch of smartass comments when he asked why I needed those fittings. So I had to explain ......I'm putting a 67 F100 master cylinder on a 65 F100 and I need fittings for the switch. BTW...I had just dropped a big lump of cash on 4 drums so it's not like I was Nickel and Diming them.
    Thing is, I bought that crap!o_O
    I'm a nice guy and I just wanted to get the hell out of there. I interupted his ass cushion time so Sacrificing 3 bucks so I never darken thier door again was worth it to me. As far as educating that dumbass......are you kidding?

" Guys around here use them on thier tractors all the time.":rolleyes:

Who knows maybe the ice maker will develop a leak.

The folks that need our support are the specialty parts vendors.....
    C&G....Bob Drake....Dennis Carpenter....Jim Carter....Chevs of the 40s....Early V8 parts.....Macs:rolleyes:.....NPD....Dearborne Classics.....Coker....and all the like. Those guys, the specialty guys.
    Many are Alliance Vendors.

9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The Vehicle Identification Number Number? Then it has to be paid with your Personal Identification Number Number or just maybe go to the Automatic Teller Machine Machine? /jk

lonejacklarry, BJR and squirrel like this.
  10. Being a parts guy in the '60's (which I was) was pretty easy compared to today. A few different Fords, a few Chevys, a Ford pickup was a Ford pickup. Now days with all the hundreds of varieties of rice burners, the name of most I don't even know (or care) I can't imagine keeping up with it. Just the emissions parts alone would boggle the mind of any parts man.

zzford likes this.
  11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It all started to go downhill when Radio Shack started asking for our home address (or was it the Zip Code?) at the checkout counter. I recall the outrage - we'll show them! "90210" muhuhahah! Suck on it bitches!!

Today everybody is tracked 24/7 they practically want fingerprints and a DNA sample and nobody bats an eye.

williebill and zzford like this.
  12. greybeard360

greybeard360

I walked into a Chief Auto when they first opened... The first of the fully computerized catalog that ANY person can look up parts with. Their idea was to make it bullet proof so they could hire minimum wage know nothing "parts people".

Anyway, I walked up to the counter and told the guy I needed 8 N9Y Champion spark plugs.....

He asked what they are for. Said he had to make sure those were correct for my application.

So I told him... 65 Chevelle with a 396.

I bet he is still trying to figure it out and that was 40 years ago!

BTW... There were no 396 that used N9Y plugs. This was my race car and used colder plugs, factory was N12Y.

Clay Belt likes this.
  13. I've ordered from summit no less than 1000 times and I have never been asked anything other than 3 questions. Next part number? Last 4 of the credit card? Can we ship this to xxx? Not once ever

F-ONE likes this.
  14. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

What year?.....1983
    What make? ......Delorean
    What Model? ......DMC-12
    What engine? ......2.85 L V6
    What transmission?........a 5 speed manual.
    What part do you need?.......A flux capacitor.
    We're not showing it.......Well I need it. It won't work without it. Can you call around?

When my flux capacitor comes in I can go back to 1955, to a real parts store.

williebill, j-jock, Montana1 and 2 others like this.
  15. zzford

zzford

"Autozone, Advance, Oreileys (Wal-Mart is Oreilleys) Pep Boys and even NAPA.
    It's all the same stuff now. It's all the same quality. Napa may have some holdover stock but for the most part, they're no different than the others."
    That's one of the things I like about Rock Auto. You can choose good name brand stuff or cheap crap. I'd take Delco parts over Wang Fu's universal one- part -fits -everything.

F-ONE likes this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All three "local" national parts houses have websites where you can look up the part and even order it to be picked up at the parts house if you want. I used to do that a lot back when O'Reilly's gave an online discount. All picked and paid for with the slip waiting for me to sign it when I walked in.
    https://www.napaonline.com/
    https://www.oreillyauto.com/
    https://www.autozone.com/
    Found out I can do it here with Advance.
    https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/

Rock Auto is good for looking up parts numbers and they usually show national brads so you can get a number that will cross at the local parts house.
    I worked in several parts houses and farm equipment parts and the best way to really piss a parts guy off is to throw something generic out like "small block Chevy" and then say "they are all the same".

The "undocumented workers" around here are probably the smarter ones as they are in the habit of taking the registration slip for the car they are working in and laying it on the counter and saying they need a part for "this".

17. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

It's like buying tires. Used to be there was a selection. The umpteen gazillion types of tires boggles the mind. The irony is the actual selection is less.
    Try to find a 15" tire that does not look like shit at the local tire store. If it does not have zippity do dah rain lightning grip anti skid rain gutter super terrain treads.....it has lighting bolts and tribal runes on the sidewalls.

18. True to a degree. I think "only get harder" is a better phrase than "worse", though. It's a new century. It's not 1955 anymore. Old stuff is getting to be an ever smaller slice of the replacement parts business. Supply and demand has always dictated service and availability. If you want to dabble in automotive archaeology, more and more you have to be an archaeologist, and maybe a bit of a detective too.

A few months ago, I helped my son buy a 2017 Ford. It's a base model and while talking with the sales person we happened to learn that during the course of 2017, some were built with power windows front and back, some with power front - crank back, and some crank front and back. (My son got the middle one, end of year build.) Now multiply that mixture by all other systems, times all the various car manufacturers, and it becomes clearer to see why coughing up the vin number is necessary for the mooshy-mess of today's current model parts. The parts counter guy isn't always going to be able to process in his mind why asking for the vin is his first step. He just knows it usually works for him.

I understand the frustration in all the posts. All I can really say is I miss the "good old days" too and I feel sorry for all of us living in today's new world.

Montana1 likes this.
  19. Latigo

Latigo

I moved a couple of years ago and sure miss my NAPA guy. He had all the old books and knew how to use them. I used to go in and say,"time to play... STUMP THE PARTS GUY!" He always won.

Thor1 likes this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

they show it, but it's out of stock.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/flux-capacitor

21. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Ahhh
    Summit! Back in the late 80s the new Summit catalogue was an event.
    Professor Overdrive.
    I still remember reading through the cam selection with my brother......
    RV cam good for towing.......
    This one is getting up in duration and sounds like it too.......
    And my personal favorite cam description.

It's for Horse Lovers.......

I ordered online from Summit....no problems.

Montana1 likes this.
  22. Ford is the worst at that stuff. When hunting parts for a ford remember that FORD stands for - finished on right day.

The ford dealers here will not absolutely under any circumstances give out a part number either.

23. Sad but this is what it comes to. BUT... while you're at plug the part number in and see who has it. Advance is okay so far, my local NAPA has let me down too many times. If I can wait 3-5 days, order it online. Cuts out the headache.

24. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Back in the 80's I had a Foreign Car Parts operation. Guy calls wanting water pump for his 60's Toyota. Can't tell us what model it is...Corolla, Corona, Hi-Lux, etc. We tell him where to look...still can't find it. Finally calls back and says "I found it, it's a Schramm"

Schramm was the first Toyota dealer in our area!

pat59 and Montana1 like this.
  25. But then, I'm not very computer savvy... :confused:

When I go to a parts store (or any store for that matter) I prefer to talk face to face with someone that has a little more expertise than me. That's why I go there.

I think it's absurd to ask me for the make, model, year, SS#, VIN, etc, for a piece of 3/8 fuel line, 2 ft. of vacuum hose, or even an oil filter or spark plugs for an SBC or SBF.

Heck, I don't even go to the self check out at Wal-Mart, unless I absolutely have to! It takes me FOREVER, and then ten guys behind me get all huffy and I have to get the young lady to come over and help me!

I don't have or want a "smart" phone. I do like my flip phone, but I only know how to make and answer calls. I can barely get my phone messages.

I almost cried when they quit developing my 35mm photos at the local drug store. I've never had a credit card, or owned a car with EFI or digital entry. :eek:

Now, I do like radial tires, electronic ignition, disc brakes and multi-grade oil.

I do have a laptop, but I only barely know how to get my digital pictures off the camera. I can get on the alternative news, the weather, e-mails, and the HAMB. The rest is gobbledy-gook to me. Not much in the digital age that makes any sense to me.

And you guys want to talk "old school"? Come on! :D
    Rant over! :)

belair, jaw22w and williebill like this.
  26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

And that's why they don't give a shit, when a "bad ass" Hot Rodder comes in without the correct information. In this day and age, we all know what information today's parts guys are going to need. So, why is it so hard to try and have that information? Maybe explain what you're building or fixing up? Hell, when it's all over, you may spread the fun of old cars to a future generation.

27. rgdavid

rgdavid

When i was still living in england our town had a parts shop run by an east indian guy and his wife, he knew everything, he was so good and interesting,
    One day as a challenge in 1992 i took my old lorry (1938) sparkplug and put it on the counter to ask him if he had some (they were the big threaded ones that separated for cleaning,)
    He not only told me what lorry they came from without looking at a book but to come back in 2 days, he got them !...lol, I miss that guy and his wife, they worked non stop and were a wealth of information,
    Its was when bisness was not only money but a way of life and people had a passion in what they sold

egads, Fordors, Montana1 and 2 others like this.
  28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Needed a water pump for my F100's SBC in a hurry...Blew the seal when about to leave for Eagle Field drags!
    Drove a few blocks to Autozone. Parked in front, went inside and asked for a long water pump, '89 350 Chev. Guy asks what the engine is in. I tell him, "My Ford pickup, right there.."
    "That's a Ford. Chevrolet engines are in Chevrolets."
    "No, there's a Chevrolet engine in THAT Ford pickup."
    "There CAN'T BE! Fords have FORD engines, all of them."
    I showed him. He said, "That's not a Chevrolet engine. It's IN A FORD!"
    I then realized. I was IN THE 'ZONE'...
    Went across the lot, bought a gallon of water, filled the radiator, leaked it all out by the time I got to O'Reilly's. "Yeah...got it in stock..."
    Made it to Eagle Field before 10:00 A.M., backed into the V.I.P. section. "Auto Show"...(I'm in primer...)

Montana1 and Thor1 like this.
  29. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

as an 8 year Oreillys, counter person, and 5 year Parts manager at a Subaru dealership, we have to ask questions, because that is how the computer is set up. it ask most of the questions, before it will let you advance to the part/ next question. some parts are best looked up with a vin. In fact, the Subaru system, without a vin, will usually just tell you "multiple" for a part number. The good old trained parts guys are passing away, and unfortunately taking their knowledge with them, because "them young guys don't know nothin'" and the young guys don't have the experience with older cars. Back in the day, a parts counter job paid pretty well, and was a skilled job. Now nobody wants to pay, so you get the high school kid, that makes minimum wage...you get what you pay for. The parts house's greed didn't help the issue, it fed it.

30. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Building my 40 I ordered all my brake components (name brands) from Amazon......Cheap!