Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My brother bought a 32 Ford 5W- Old California hotrod with a 348

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Apr 29, 2018.

1. He likes the engine, but it’s not in very well. There is currently no water pump or fan...both are electric. My brother likes that the K member and firewall are not cut, and to make the 348 work you have to cut both. Which he may do? Time will tell. It also won’t allow the hood sides to close all the way with how wide it is

Stogy likes this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was said it was seen at a swap and bought after.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  3. I went up to my brothers today and we removed the package tray and moved the seat back, which really helped for room inside the car. We drove it around a bit and it really runs well. That 348 has good power and gobs or torque. The transmission 2nd gear is goofy, may have to pull engine/trans and out another trans in. Aside from that he’s planning on lowering it and changing tires/wheels and adding caps. Just a neat ol hot rod

4BD4210D-9F17-4472-801D-3C9C75EF8847.jpeg 4A9246CF-D8B6-4EB5-90B4-2CD593D1E018.jpeg B02F4FE3-B877-4892-833F-C288B7744DEF.jpeg 75F95E27-04C4-4D86-8592-6F87ECFC54DA.jpeg E6FD0113-B0F6-4455-9698-196F17B50FE4.jpeg 05E94454-6A00-48F5-9279-A7BB5EE48C71.jpeg FCCF18D1-242B-4420-91CC-D410C8960874.jpeg EBF2C48B-8D0E-4773-9A36-7F4F6504E51E.jpeg FDF4AD6C-2D20-4EB2-BAE6-5C35A9CA90C3.jpeg

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chris whats with the clock in the rear view mirror is that a cool 60s dodad? That back end really works well together...Overall lots of cool going on and its a turn key wow...

Is your brother a Hamber? If he isn't he should be after all its really the place to be with such a cool set O wheels ;)

5. The Bitchin' factor is pretty high on that!
    So cool with a 348, Hope you can find out some back story.

F&J likes this.
  6. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Wow, that's a awesome 32 5w congratulations

F&J likes this.
  7. He changed the steering wheel?

rexrogers likes this.
  8. F&J

F&J

I've been into rods since the late 50s building AMT models...but one thing I will never understand is the WIERD deal about the 32 K is something of value? Shit can it, like I did with the Olds Rocket 324, or cut/weld it...keep the 348 for sure! as it is the true "soul" of that old awesome survivor!

Sell me the car for just a few minutes,... I will take that hood off and cut it up in tiny pieces...then sell it back to him at no profit!, or even a ten dollar loss!:cool:

really?.. wanting a full hood on a 348 32 5w? That is like asking John Holmes to wear pants! LMAO..

Hey Chris, I had to run mine without the hood top for a while, I was chasing a pesky leak in the upper tank-to/core of my original 4 cyl rad... Drove it as a daily that way for a month, and people started putting raised fists up as I passed by in the other lane! I can "eventually? take a hint?, o_O...so that hood will never go back on!

9. philo426

philo426

Very cool,and since it runs so well,it would be nice to keep the 348 after the trans issue is resolved.I like the instrument cluster and remember the Stewert Warner tach from Jaws!

10. earlymopar

earlymopar

Bingo!

- EM

11. The previous owner put the wheel in the car and wanted to keep it as part of the negotiation process. It also made the car very hard to drive with how big it is. Like I said, it has had 4 owners in just the past couple years, so it has had some recent changes done to it.

Stogy likes this.
  12. .

The clock mirror is more like a 40's doodad. He is a hamber, although I am not sure how active he is. His name is @hotrod-40

Stogy likes this.
  13. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

Clock mirrors were a popular factory or dealer option in the '30's. My '32 Chevie had one, even said Chevrolet on the face.

Stogy likes this.
  14. Really neat car. Glad it's sticking around and in the right hands!

15. WOW!! What a car!

16. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice car! I'm really digging on the front and rear nerf bars. I too am a fan of the 348.

Max Gearhead likes this.
  17. philo426

philo426

Every one seems to agree that you have a real winner here!Excellent car!

18. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

The color on the dash is great! Congrats to your brother on a great find.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. More cool there than the law allows. Your speculation of early '60s is pretty good. In '61/2 it was trendy to do the underside in white (at least in So. Cal anyway). Usually though that included at least the rear axle housing and sometimes the front. Add bell tipped scavenger pipes hung below the rear axle and you'd be there. Could be over the years some parts swapping (updates?) have removed/replaced those mods. Shouldn't be too hard to find a butchered K member and clearanced firewall if he wanted to improve the fit of the W motor, and keep the good stock parts for "just in case".

Squablow, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. I think it's more that when you are buying a pretty high dollar car, having a nice K member and firewall are a bonus. If it gets cut, it's nice to be the one to do it. Not have some scabbed together stuff. But who knows. I like the 348, it sounds awesome. Very low rumble and runs like a top. I would want to try and make it work. But my brother has a really bitchin 303 Olds with Horn 4x2 and some other awesome speed equipment that he was going to put into a car he sold to get this car. So before getting the car, his loose plan was eventually swap the olds into it. But who knows. I think for now, his only plans are lower it, tires/wheels, fix trans and while trans out go through the tough steering stock steering box. It actually runs and drivers really nice aside from a couple things like 2nd gear and tight steering

21. slowmotion

slowmotion

Man, that thing's bitchin' right down to the tomato soup colored wheels! Only thing I'd change on that one is the oil!:D

F&J likes this.
  22. F&J

F&J

good lord, now,,,wait!...is there any way you guys can fit BOTH of those "yummie" motors in that coupe?.. LOL!!

Yes, the K member ...I hear you on resale of a high end untouched chassis, or Flathead V8 build, or survivor stockish Flathead car...but when reality sets in with quite a few OHV swaps...the K is not really user friendly, and top it off, the K "should have been an X", like Many other brands of USA 1932 cars came out with... "Ridged X chassis, new for 1932" was shown and printed in many car sales brochures, as a new sales perk.

and.. it makes such a difference in body twist issues..

23. bluesman

bluesman
    from spring tx

You know what’s crazy Chris... is how well that 348 fits in that 32..It dam sure would not fit in know 33-34 without a whole a lot cutting! Congrats to your brother..

24. I get what you are saying 100%. For some odd reason I think it is neat that someone shoe horned this engine in and didn't cut anything. They shoved the grill/radiator forward and even bent the original headlight bar out for more grill clearance. So...with that said, whatever engine ends up in the coupe down the road, I am sure mods will be made to get it to fit. Having an electric fan and water pump are really not an option HAHA

Hamtown Al, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  25. F&J

F&J

must have never run the hood if the radiator was moved??...hint hint... NO hood allowed!.. he he

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chris your thought and restraint coupled with your brothers is admirable to this capsule...this Hotrod is extremely fortunate that's all I can say...

27. BJR

BJR

You will need to change the trans and rear end if you are going to drive it much. Asking the original transmission and banjo to take the torque of a 348 is asking an awful lot.

F&J likes this.
  28. clem

clem

B79A5DCE-C42D-4CFE-AC43-23E4C8F4B86B.jpeg

Here’s a way to fix that........

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and rexrogers like this.
  29. clem

clem

Beautiful car.

30. rexrogers

rexrogers

I think you can get a truck water pump for that motor and it will raise the fan and center it in the radiator. the lower outlet will need a reducer to neck it down.
    Outstanding car going over the photos it looks great!

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.