Register now to get rid of these ads!

Possible scammers on the HAMB

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Fatkidscars, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Fatkidscars

Fatkidscars

Possible scammers on here ???

On a few wanted ads I have posted I have gotten a reply form a new Hamber sending a message saying send a email to ...... and they have what you need, and if I look up the new hamber they have just joined the group just a few days ago. And have no ads or anything in there profile.... Are they just fishing for email addresses?

Also...

Have received calls for people regarding an ad on the hamb and they say they have what I am looking for but have a old school phone so no pics available and no way to send pics but send the money fast because they have others after the same part. SCAMMERS in my opinion. Just thought id see if any one else has had this encounter also?

2. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Report to Ryan. Red flags are a flyin.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. If it walks like a duck... you know the rest,

Your smart enough to avoid being scammed. HRP

4. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

DON'T FALL FOR IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES !

Yes - Total scammers..............

Classic Scammer profile......

Just signed up - ( no posts - bogus member )
    Communicate by Email only ( outside the HAMB system)
    Send money FAST ( usually buy Western Union - Walmart Transfer - USPS Money Order , Money Grams etc etc etc.)

Don't fall for it.

PS - Don't put your phone number in any of your ads......

5. Ken Partch

Ken Partch

6. Ken Partch

Ken Partch

GOT SCAMMED
    Well, I did get scammed yesterday. I posted a want ad here for some V8-60 Aluminum heads and a guy with an H.A.M.B profile sent me some pictures (that I just now have learned said heads were sold on this site in 2015 by some other fella). He must have scraped the photos before sending him $440 through MONEY GRAM. Once the money was picked up he basically folded. I emailed him several times and he just laughed - called me a 'stupid Man'. I told him I am going to heaven and not one meal will I miss. But still, to lose money felt horrible. Another guy tried this same thing - pictures and all - a couple hours later. By that time I had caught on. Both H.A.M.B members - and no trace of their profiles now. I have the original posts as I kept them. Guessing it is easy to see what is going on at this site and easy to get a membership with H.A.M.B. Something must be done about this.

7. MONEY GRAM screams scam,please look before you leap and ask the hamb questions,sorry you got burnt. HRP

8. 5window

5window

Also sorry you got burned. A HAMB profile is pretty easy to construct. A high post count is less likely to be fabricated. If it's an Alliance member, Ryan can maybe help you. Moneygrams, no pictures, offshore drilling rigs,wonky language or sentence formatting all can be giveaways. Pictures can be scammed, even ones with today's paper in them. Be careful. Too good to be true, usually is.

9. I always put my phone number up selling or wanted I will not do business with anyone Who will not talk by Phone.

Plus you can't get a read on some one through text in a P.M.
    You know instantly if someone can't answer questions or if they are doing a lot of stumbling and dancing around on a phone call. People like that are the ones to watch.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    clem likes this.
  10. 5window

5window

I think you mean, "Won't talk by phone"?

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  11. Yes, I corrected it.

5window likes this.
  12. jetmek

jetmek

Yup this place is scammer central I almost got taken by some douche nozzle today responding to my wanted ad...awesome pics and description wanted a money gram and couldn't answer my calls because hes hearing impaired disappeared when I demanded his name and address BEWARE BEFORE SENDING ANYONE $$

13. Blown468

Blown468

Same here on someone attempting to scam me. This guy (or gal) who coincidently just joined the HAMB this past Wed responded to a “wanted” ad i have for 40-41 willys coupe fiberglass doors. Told me they have what i need & to text them..and yes, of course i did. They responded to me with photos & some bs about parting out a 41 willys (really? who parts out a 41 willys!) I know it borders on possibility, highly unlikely tho.
    But yes, you know us willys freaks, my heartrate went up as i looked at photos of the doors (& possibly more parts i would be owning soon) wooohooo!
    HOWEVER, the more i looked at these photos the more familiar they became...i knew the car but couldnt quite put a finger on it..then as if i never had short term memory loss, i remembered where i saw this car!
    There was an old article thread here on JJ i read about a “barn find” real deal steel willys coupe, so i went back in the archives & guess what?....yup, you got it, my “would be” trove of parts bubble just bursted into thin air...lol
    Oh well, not trippin, no one got hurt or burned out of cash & i’ll find my doors but man, people are seriously f’d up these days..losers!
    Oh, & after doing a reverse phone & location look-up of the “perp”(s)...it turns out the number from which they txtd me from was a spoof or burner number...annnnd of course the address affiliated with it is....guess...yup, non-existent. Go figure.

***So lets flag this POS*** user name: mw81x

Anyway, thanks all for letting me rant. Have a good one, rubber side down & if anyone has a 40-41 willys coupe fiberglass doors hookup, give me a shout. Thx!

14. Very sorry to hear that you got scammed Ken,

However you MUST be vigilant! If someone wants a payment like a "Money Gram", Dollar General, Walmart or other money cards as payment...You should run! It is ok to post wanting something, but you have to understand doing it makes you ripe for scammers & there is nothing Ryan can do about people creating a new Hamb Identity just to screw you! You must do your "due Diligence"
    Hell, there are scammers on here who are in my transport industry & give the rest of us a bad name!

God Bless
    Bill Squires(owner)
    Bill's Auto Works