Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gas tank in the trunk 26 T? (update)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Trent_A, Apr 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trent_A

Trent_A

Looking for opinion on the locations of your Gas tank? Should I mount the tank to the frame and then put the floor in over the top of the tank or make it simple and just mount the tank on top of the floor? This tank was free so I would like to use it. But if anyone else has any suggestions I would like to hear them.

Attached Files:

knifefighter likes this.
  2. knifefighter

knifefighter

I love the repurposed tank!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Under floor or in trunk with firewall separating trunk and cab.
    Where will the filler be?

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

Mine's placed just a little forward of that. Gives just a bit more trunk. If you place it under the floor, you would have to remove the body if you ever had to service it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

aswd.jpg That's a great tank. I wouldn't hide it under the floor. Saw Paul ask where the filler neck will be. that would be my question too. I would be careful how you vent it though if you don't hide it.

6. In the trunk as far forward as possible. We leave the filler in trunk too. Un-vented cap. Run the vent tube/hose up as high as possible and then down thru the floor.

Just talking about boat tanks the other day; remembering when you could just run down to Monkey Wards and grab a nice steel tank for your hot rod.

ramblin dan likes this.
  7. Trent_A

Trent_A

The gas filler and cap was my next question. If i left the filler and that under the trunk lid will i smell gas fumes all the time? I will be running a fuel pump because this has a TBI. Can i drill and tap the tank for a barbed fitting then run a gas friendly rubber hose out of the trunk to vent it? This is a someone else's project that is no longer with us so I don't have a clue what he had in mind when he was building this.
    also ... are Wood trunk floors "Kosher" ?
    thanks guys!

8. If you don't want a Gas Cap being visible this works pretty good. Weld it in, paint it up and it's near gone.
    20160520_102103.jpg 20160701_162952.jpg

9. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This picture shows where Clark Bates put the gas tank in my old coupe. There are panels that attach to the square tubing. The back of the seat attaches to the panels

[​IMG]

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I would mount it under the floor to keep it separated from the passenger compartment as much as possible, just my personal opinion.

11. evintho

evintho

Mounted a Geo Metro tank in the back of my roadster. This is an old pic and I've since remounted it about 12" lower. Used an aluminum filler door off a Dodge truck. Cap is vented.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ramblin dan likes this.
  12. With a TBI you will probably need to use the existing vent on the tank for a return. If you want to keep the filler in the trunk; you could you could build a short fill tube with a vent fitting. Run the vent up high, then back down and out thru the floor and use an un-vented cap. Shouldn't have any smell.
    Maybe it's just me; but I think it would be easier to build a metal trunk floor and divider panel.

Oh yeah; get your seating arrangement finalized; before mounting anything behind it.

13. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I went with a 48-52 pickup tank for my roadster. The back is flat and goes up against the back of 48 to 52 pickup.jpg the seat. I believe it's only 9 inches wide. The filler neck can either go out the body side or make another neck in the center of the tank hidden. Because it's from a classic truck it is easy to get a new 12 volt sending unit for it.

14. Trent_A

Trent_A

Giving you guys an update on this.
    The boat gas tank had a lot more just in it than I first seen so i went with a fuel cell and vented it out the bottom of the trunk.
    I painted HotRod flatz firethorn and except some FI wiring issues it's been great. 20180620_153007.jpg

20180531_101908.jpg 20180727_180212.jpg 20180730_192956.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.