Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Murphy Head welding cast iron ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rexrogers, Mar 3, 2018.

1. rexrogers

rexrogers

We are working on a Murphy overhead conversion and the head has a few cracks that need attention and some previous repairs that need cleaned up as well.
    I don't have access to an oven to preheat and post heat the head and with the rarity of this head i would like to get it done correctly. Does anyone know or a reputable company that can perform the repairs?
    20180303_103512.jpg 20180303_103539.jpg 20180303_103549.jpg 20180303_103603.jpg 20180303_103611.jpg 20180303_103718.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

get someone with a Henrob to weld it. No pre or postheating neccessary. Its an easy weld and I've never had a failure using a Henrob

3. rexrogers

rexrogers

Thanks, I have a henrob, mainly just use it for gas welding aluminum and cutting. I have never tried using it for cast parts before. I don't think I will practice on this head but now it's on my list of things to do. I have a exhaust manifold that needs some attention.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

The reason I bought the Henrob is to weld cast iron. Its very easy and I've never had any problem doing the weld. Use the Peteresen No 2 flux and heat the work until it begans to glow gold and start feeding the filler rod in. It turns into butter but never drips out. Easy, Amazing. You can drill and tap holes too

6. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

While you can get away w/o pre/post heat on many welds, the type of welder you use does not change the nature of the metal you are welding. Cast iron cracks easily under tension, and if the weld is in a place that can not shrink freely as it cools down there will be tension in the metal - that's why "complicated" cast iron items need preheat, the area around the weld needs to shrink along with the weld as it all cools down slowly.

The cracks in the first picture can probably be welded pretty well w/o preheat, looks like a corner that can "move" relatively free, other cracks "in the middle" of the head is a diffrent matter.

And besides... With a rare (and valuable?) part, I'd always go the safer route, pre/post heat reduces the risk of problems and when you won't get a second chance any risk reduction is a good thing.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The37Kid likes this.
  8. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Question can this type of weld be done with the engine still in the car?
    The outside threaded hole for a 350 that the starter motor bolts into cracked and just wondering it the engine needs to come out first or it can be welded with the engine in the car.

Jimbo

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

Sorry but thats WRONG. The Henrob needs no pre or post heat. I have been doing this successfully for about 15 years. Since you havent used a Henrob, dont spread wrong information.

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

Maybe pre-heat needs to be defined. I think of pre-heat as something similar to putting a cast iron cylinder head on a burner, like a stove top and bringing up the temperature of the entire head. I dont do anything remotely close to that.
    I do wave the torch over the head for 5 seconds or so but thats not pre-heat. When I finish the weld, I turn off the torch and walk away. Absolutely no post heat at all and I've never had a failure.
    This is according to the instructions that come with the torch. I cant argue with success. The Henrob has changed named several times to Cobra, Dillon and Detroit torch. https://detroittorch.com/

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

This may be a good place for a Lock n Stitch repair. Stronger than welding and doesn't cause stress or warpage. Let Jay Leno explain.

12. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Take a look at my profile picture on the left.

Hnstray and razoo lew like this.
  13. rexrogers

rexrogers

I sometimes forget what all the Henrob is capable of, I use it for gas welding aluminum, but last week I cut some 1/2" plate like butter with it.
    The head has one long crack on the back side that was drilled and pinned.
    I think I will make few phone calls on Monday and talk with a few of the companies that do head repair.
    Need to do a little clean up work on the head with the fair amount of cracks I'm starting to wonder about the quality of the casting to begin with.

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

If you can't find anyone closer I have used Cylinder head repair in Wichita Ks with good success.

15. rexrogers

rexrogers

We sent the head out to Midwest cylinder head, they passed on attempting the repairs. We might have to selve that idea for now. There is a Joe Gemsa head that might replace the Murphy banger.

16. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I've seen Midwest pass on very few items. That really surprises me but they know their limits. Sorry to hear the outcome.
    SPark

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

18. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They may have passed due to the previous repairs that have been performed. That is a variable that can make additional repairs complex or impossible to successfully complete.
    Mrs. Murphy may have stepped in on this one
    Let us know which way it winds up. Either way would be cool.
    Larry

19. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

This guy says pre heating thick aluminum is critical;

Hnstray likes this.
  20. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

This head looks like it's had a ton milled off of it, removing most of the head gasket surface & exposing the water jacks in the head !