Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1941 Ford pickup build thread, 303 Olds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40FORDPU, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Did this truck come from Spokane? Looks like a great project

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Thanks guys.
    I bought it from a guy in Spokane, but I believe it spent most of its life in Deer Park, according to registration/title.

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  3. triumph 1

triumph 1

40FORDPU likes this.
  4. I thought so, I bought the engine and trans that were in it, after you bought it

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you thinking of using some sort of rubber isolater on the rear mounts? Cool project!

Stogy and 40FORDPU like this.
  6. Thanks.
    I considered it, and haven't completely ruled it out (any input you wish to ad won't offend me).

Stogy and LTM75110 like this.
  7. Since I won't be running vacuum wipers, and space restrictions I used an AC fuel pump #41209.
    Thanks to the "The Oldsmobile Rocket 303 324 371 394 to end all other posts.
    Carter#M6951
    AC #41209
    Airtex #41209
    These were used on Buick Skylarks '78+
    IMG_2776.JPG IMG_2788.JPG

kidcampbell71, Stogy and Old-Soul like this.
  8. My intention was to use the Olds steering column, but the longer length of it, and interference issues convinced me to retain the stock Ford column, and a floor shift.
    I decided to go with an external hydraulic clutch slave, so needed to create a bracket/plate IMG_2774.JPG to secure it to the block utilizing the three threaded bosses on the block.

Stogy likes this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

What a nice project, hope to pick up some tips to use on my '39 Pickup project. Bob

kidcampbell71 and 40FORDPU like this.
  10. I am using the '60-'62 Chev p/u slave cyl., I had to modify my bracket for the body of the slave cyl. to tuck it in closer to the block, to get better alignment, by cutting a relief for the slave in the plate, can't really see that from the pic though.
    IMG_2780.JPG IMG_2781.JPG IMG_2782.JPG

11. I had to change the direction of the clutch pedal motion, by welding on an ear/tab so when depressing the clutch it will push the pushrod towards the rear of the truck, where I will be mounting the clutch master cyl. by the brake master cyl.
    I wanted to retain the stock pedal arrangement.
    IMG_2785.JPG IMG_2786.JPG IMG_2784.JPG

12. bubba55

bubba55

Keep at it - looking good!

40FORDPU likes this.
  13. I created a mounting bracket for my clutch m/c. I need to continue plumbing to the slave cyl. with a flex hose.
    For my clutch m/c I used a '47-'50 Chev p/u brake m/c (NAPA #9219).
    The clutch slave cyl. '60-'62 Chev p/u is NAPA #19097.
    IMG_2793.JPG IMG_2794.JPG

14. I found a nice Hurst synchro-loc 3 speed shifter at the Monroe swap meet for $30 complete with rods, mtg. etc.
    I fabricated my own mounting bracket etc.
    I ended up using my Olds rods after straightening/ shortening and re-threading.
    The tabs from the trans were pointed in the wrong direction, so I cut them off, and welded them so they would be facing up (couldn't just rotate their positioning as they are serrated).
    I wanted to have what would appear as an original shifter appearance, so I heated up and bent the Hurst handle to locate the shifter more towards the center hump, the cut it off, and welded on some round stock for my new handle.
    IMG_2803.JPG IMG_2805.JPG IMG_2826.JPG

15. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might want to reconsider the CMC location. That basically forces you to run the exhaust under the chassis. Unless you're ok with that. I made an adapter plate to mount mine to the original bracket. Great build thread and good luck. Funny, I'm in the same Daddy-store-it mode.

Stogy likes this.
  16. trebill, I'm kind of in the mocking up/creating what I believe will work phase, considering options.
    I looked up your build thread, and saw what you meant with the CMC mount (looks good).
    Exhaust routing is an issue on these, something I'll look further into.
    Once I get things in the final positioning I'll take it apart to the bare frame, prime and paint it, then re-assemble.
    Thanks, comments/ideas are always well received.

Stogy, Hamtown Al and spurgeonforge like this.
  17. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll admit my exhaust will have to make some crazy turns to go through the factory openings and down along the frame rail. And it will be 2" diameter. But it's just a mild SBC and I intend to drive it on our crappy streets.

18. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice truck. I just found this thread; I'll be following

40FORDPU likes this.
  20. Thanks..I got side tracked.
    I bought a '40 Convertible I'm in the process of re-doing, once done I'll be back on this, and will update.
    IMG_3075.JPG

21. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^Funny how that happens!!:eek::D
    Most of us know all about it.;)
    Good luck with both great projects.
    If you haven't already; you should get a thread going on the convertible so we can follow along.
    Thanks,
    Al

Stogy likes this.
  22. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Great build thread. I especially like your bracket work. Do you mock the brackets up with cardboard first (that's what I have to do), or do you cut and test fit the steel pieces as you go along before welding them up. Very nice projects you have going.

23. DesertRat#1

DesertRat#1

I like this build, I can learn from this.

24. Thank you
    I typically use cardboard, creating brackets/mounts are one of the steps of the projects I enjoy the most.

Stogy likes this.
  25. I've pretty much completed my '40 convertible project, the interior is what's left.
    I bought another '40 pickup I'm working on now..once it's completed I'll be back on this '41 project (which I'm really looking forward to).
    Here's a current picture, without the other '40 and '41 project that are in the shop.
    IMG_3134.JPG

26. F&J

F&J

wow, nice line up...that's too many for me. :)

That emerald green coupe of yours reminds me ... When I was maybe 11 or 12, around 1960 or 61 my favorite AMT 3-in-1 model kit was 40 Ford Deluxe Coupe, and then I spotted a real one at an old repair shop that sold old broken cars, who had an emerald green metallic 40 coupe with an Olds Rocket motor. My cousin went in to ask how much and it was $600. I had barely enough at home for another model kit..like $1.50 :( I will never forget that 40.

kidcampbell71, Stogy and 40FORDPU like this.
  27. Thank you F&J
    When I was a kid (long before I could get a drivers license), I was really into building model cars, my favorite car then, which started my love affair with '40 Fords.

Stogy likes this.
  28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

img20181125_12562716.jpg IMG_2996_1.JPG Great group of vehicles ! You are making me regret not putting an Olds in my 40 pickup, like F&J, I had the 40 coupe model in 1961, and as I remember, the kit came with the Olds engine. I still have a picture of it, and I don't have the excuse of not having an Olds engine, check out the comparison.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  29. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

they re all beautiful

Stogy likes this.
  30. sssraj

sssraj

You have an Awesome collection. I love the wheels on the Old '39 coupe.

40FORDPU likes this.