Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Auto body saw

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sporty45, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Sporty45

Sporty45

2. oldolds

oldolds

I never really liked any of them. Used a couple different ones. Like using a saws-all. They can be jumpy. You always wear the same part of the blade out quickly on sheet metal. As soon as the blade hits that hidden bit of structure it is bent and useless.
    Your results may vary.

Hnstray, j-jock, texasred and 2 others like this.
  3. They are a bit jumpy
    But I use mine a lot
    It’s small and fits in places a die grinder with a disc can’t etc etc
    Takes some getting used to as it bites and grabs sometimes
    Over all a good tool

Sporty45 likes this.
  4. papajohn

papajohn

I bought a cheap electric one at harbor freight. Works pretty slick.

Sporty45 likes this.

5. I bought a no name brand and the blades would rattle loose. Took that one back and bought an Ingersoll Rand. Don`t buy cheap blades, keep the base in contact with the metal and you should be good to go .

Sporty45 likes this.
  6. Stooge

Stooge

I have an Ingersoll Rand 429, works pretty well for not being a high end one, but I don't know if I would venture to go to a cheaper one as even at its $80 price point, it can be a little fussy sometimes. I usually just buy a pack of lenox hacksaw blades and clip them into 1/3rds and use those instead of the specific body saw blades as they are usually expensive and the narrow ends make them a little flimsy. https://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Rand-429-Heavy-Reciprocating/dp/B00004XOT3

Sporty45 likes this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My bud did, too. At $17.00, (!) I followed suit. We don't use them much, but they are handy when needed.
    Cheap blades do wear out in one place: the 1/2" or so of contact area. Good blades are 50% better in longevity. I recommend it. $17 for this much 'extra'?

Sporty45 likes this.
  8. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

They work ok , but to save the blades from wearing out fast or breaking , I use Bees Wax or Candle Wax over the Scribe Line to Lubricate the Blade , Helps a lot .

9. Sporty45

Sporty45

Good idea, I never would have thought of that :cool:

10. zzford

zzford

I prefer an air hatchet.

325w, Hnstray and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Wow...Like to see that in use...the name denotes anticipicatory action, I can tell you.

zzford likes this.
  12. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I use an electric cutoff wheel on a 4.5 angle grinder.Saves the air compressor! I have a Astro pneumatic air saw.

Sporty45 likes this.
  13. EW_

EW_
    from DFW

I have a Matco MT2215 and I love it. I saw one in use on a TV show where the operator was using it one handed over head cutting out a wheel well like butter. Having used cheap-o air saws in the past, I was surprised at how well it cut. Not inexpensive but I don't mind paying for good tools.

Sporty45 likes this.
  14. I started with a IR. Used for many years. Bought a high priced Snap on gear driven air saw. Worth every penny . Cuts extremely smooth and doesn't jump .I never buy Snap on stuff, but this was definitely worth it.

Sporty45 likes this.
  15. cretin

cretin

I have a snap on one. Kind of expensive, but it works great, I love it! I use it all the time.

Also, as for good blades, I use the brand “Bahco” they make the snap on brand blades, but are cheaper if you just get their brand.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sporty45 and ABONES like this.
  16. cretin

cretin

Also, I should point out, in my experience, it’s worth it to get a quality body saw. All the cheap ones I’ve used haven’t worked very well, so I avoided the saw.

Then I tried someone’s snap on saw, and I was an immediate believer. I bought mine and use it constantly.
    Just one mans experience.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sporty45 and ABONES like this.
  17. Sporty45

Sporty45

Hmmm... might have to save up a bit if I want a good one, I guess. Thanks everyone ;)

18. Budget36

Budget36

Make sure you get one with and adjustable fence...let's you work on a different part of the blade. I do as mentioned before, just snap off a hacksaw blade and don't buy the higher priced ones.

I run mine at just enough air pressure to keep the cut going, after you've toasted a few blades, you'll see why;)

Sporty45 likes this.
  19. Stooge

Stooge

Ive been waiting for my ingersoll to break to buy the snap on one. Beng able to use 6" reciprocating saw blades in it alomg with the standard sized body saw blades could really come in hady!

Sporty45 likes this.
  20. indyjps

indyjps

Mine looks the same as the eastwood, but is another brand with grey case instead of blue. Theyre good to have, but are finnicky. Use where the angle grinder won't reach.

Sporty45 likes this.
  21. rnscustom

rnscustom

Ingersol here , as said buy the hacksaw blades and cut them ,

reagen and Sporty45 like this.
  22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an Ingersol Rand one, too. I use it constantly, without complaint.

Sporty45 likes this.
  23. I have an Ingersol air powered saw, but prefer the sawzall, both battery and plug in power, for larger jobs. I also use an air nibbler for tight areas, and have a Mikita electric shear for cutting flat material.
    For some jobs, it is necessary to use a thin cutoff wheel, but I don't like the amount of cutting dust that gets spread everywhere.
    Bob

bct and Sporty45 like this.
  24. DAHEMIKOTA

DAHEMIKOTA
    from Tenn

I have a Craftsman. I use it to cut every thing from wood to 1/2" steel. Cuts roll bar tubing like it is hot butter.

Sporty45 likes this.
  25. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have a Harbor Freight saw that I have used for 5 years now. Still works when I need it to.

Sporty45 likes this.
  26. Duke

Duke

Just chopped my car with my friends snap on air saw. Works really well, he said his cheaper one was not even close to being the same tool.

ABONES, Sporty45 and cretin like this.
  27. reagen

reagen

i use hack saw blades ,break them into .

28. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Dang, last night I watched a movie on Dish called IQ where the local (wherever that was) rod shop/gas station cut the roof off of Albert Einstein's old 2 door and made it into a convertible. All they used was a skill saw for the job. Maybe it worked was because they were working around genius. LOL Jimmie

Sporty45 likes this.
  29. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I used mine to cut speaker holes in package trays. You can`t get any other kind of saw in that tight area. It worked 3 times then broke, Harbor Freight. I didn`t know if I would use it much, so that`s why I bought a cheap one. $19.

30. Hack saws have cut many roofs off of cars..

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018