Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Crate engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hawkerdriver, Apr 25, 2018.

1. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Im starting a new build and looking to put a 327/350 SBC in it. In the past I’ve had more traditional mills and now trying the brookville bodied new approach. So looking at all the usual advertisements from Speedway, Summit etc- what’s a good all around SBC already built crate motor? They’re all fairly competitive but just curious if anyone in her is running one and if there’s been issues with the engines, build lead times, shipping etc.

2. jegs has free shipping

3. No experience with 'em. But please don't count out your local machine shops. Sometimes they even have project engines folks have walked away from. Usually they can supply core blocks. It sure is nice to walk in and talk to a human being across the counter.

4. indyjps

indyjps

Fill in your location in your profile, lot of members here with garages full of spares.

Hot Rod Nut, lothiandon1940 and Thor1 like this.

5. where are you located i know of a 327 with a five speed for sale.

pat59 and TFoch like this.
  6. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

I’m out in eastern PA. Looking to put a 350/400 automatic behind the SBC. Tired of shifting in traffic

7. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While you were asking about experience with "Crate" motors ( I have none of that) I would add this. I do not like the idea of Crate motors. Now that will not be a well received comment but let me explain.

I truly believe that this Hot Rod thing we all do should come with a little do it yourself experience. Buying a crate motor is the easy way out. Building that motor yourself, even if you have never done something like that before is the experience. In this modern age we all live in today gaining the ability and learning a few new skills and a new accomblishment is worth more than money can ever buy. If a guy is going to own a Hot Rod he ought to do more than just fork over some cash to someone else to build every aspect of that car, or in my opinion any aspect of the car.

I also understand the argument for the Crate motor. Oh they are cheap and fast, they produce more HP, they can build it better than the average guy, and oh yea the cheap thing over and over again the cheap thing. So what? So what if they can build it cheaper? So what if its easy?

I never once saw it written anywhere that building one of these cars was supposed to be easy or cheap. The knowledge learned and the experience gained cannot be counted the same way you write a check or count dollar bills into some cats hand. It is worth more than that...

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What's more traditional than a 327?

If I understand you right, you are expecting to find a 350 hp 327 crate engine at Summit or Speedway!
    Maybe your wording doesn't match your thinking.

Oilguy likes this.
  9. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that engine in Connecticut?

10. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

I appreciate the response and I’ll look into something local as well.

11. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

A small block Chevy. Automatic transmission. Pretty simple shit.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

A lot of people don't have the tools, time or inclination. Doesn't make them any less an enthusiast. I have a good friend who's building my engine. He's a metal fabricator and builds engines on the side. It's a way for him to support his family. He's done so many, he could probably build an engine blind folded. Sure, I could get all the components, a copy of "How to build a SBC" and buy all the tools needed and give it a shot, HOPING I do everything right. But it's not worth it to me and my situation. And I won't have to start a thread titled, "What's wrong with my SBC?"

I dig the guys that can build an engine, but I don't care to be that guy. And my pride is doing fine.

As for crate engines? I've seen good deals and bad deals. Being able to drive by my friends shop, if I have a problem, took one off my list.

13. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Pace Performance puts together complete packages for a reasonable price, check out their "Connect and Cruise" pkgs

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Personal values...nothing wrong with them....I even agree...in part. But, how much of your home, or it’s furnishings did you build? Did you build your own computer....parts are available...your TV set?...etc, etc. somewhere along the long road to civilization we recognized few of us could do it all and specializing in what we do best had some merit.

Ray

15. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

summit crate 350 ci are made in mexico , the ones I have seen anyway .

16. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

I’ve built engines in the past including SBC’s.
    With three kids at home, shit to do around the house and a job that takes me all over the world- I honestly don’t have the time to do everything to a car anymore. So yes, some things I’ll farm out. Most of it I will take on. It’s all in good fun.
    (Isn’t that what it’s supposed to be?)

17. I had to learn to do all my own work, because I never had enough money to pay to have it done.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Exactly!!! Do what you can, farm out what you can’t ( or won’t ) and have fun!

I do all the mechanical and electrical on my cars, floors , frame welding etc.

Do I do paint and body work ? On my beaters I do, on my “ good cars” no as I just don’t have the patience to follow allllllllllll the steps to the end to get a perfect finish

Anyways I second going to your local machine shops and see what they have, my buddy is always ending up with nice engines as cores, guys drop them off for rebuilds, get a quote and run away leaving the engine behind, or a rebuild is started, money runs out or project changes and my buddy is stuck with a machined core and a bunch of parts that are paid for ..... he lets this stuff go for cheap just to get his money out and keep going

ramblin dan and chevy57dude like this.
  19. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I've had a good experience with a Goodwrench GM crate engine.
    At least they are totally new and not recycled engines.
    There are many stories good and bad with them, but I'm sure no more that what you can get from other sources.
    I purchased a 260 HP 350 engine with 8 point something compression and bought all new bolt on items as recommended by GM.
    I shied away from top end HP engines, they all sound good on paper but then you can be confronted with over heating issues and can sometimes struggle to find the right gas for them.

Before I made my final decision, I did actually visit the shop of a guy called Alan Baker in Blanchester OH who I was led to believe does build engines to your spec's and can supply all the bolt on items to your desire.
    He did not seem that expensive and the clincher for me was that he did test run all his engines for 30 minutes before shipping them.
    The biggest handy cap to his pricing was that he mentioned he struggled to be able to provide competitive shipping rates from where he was located for some reason.
    His business name is Cricket Engine Performance.
    I have never had an engine from him, but would consider him when the need arises next.
    As I get older, I have started to realise that near to stock is best with just a few minor tweaks to carb, exhaust and ignition which will generally satisfy most of us...

upspirate likes this.
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally a "Crate" engine is directly from the GM dealership parts counter or affiliate, it can be stock replacement or performance. Everything else is an assembled engine from an engine supplier/ builder. Read what they say, "seasoned" block etc.
    I'm not sayin' what's best for you at all, just my opinion. If it was mine and I was idleing at a cruise you would never know my engine was running.250-300 HP in a 2500# roadster or coupe would be plenty for me. Have fun first.....

mountainman2 and Hnstray like this.
  21. rdynes01

rdynes01
    from colorado

Right on point

22. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the info. Too far from flyover country.

23. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

I seem to remember reading that when Chevy released the 283 hot rodders bought them over the counter as crate motors. It was one of the reasons the platform was so successful. Seems a pretty traditional route to go. rebuilding a motor just isn't as affordable as it was. Fun though if you have the time, tools and talent. You can't go too far wrong with a GM Goodwrench for a reliable starting point.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  24. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

ah ha! got it! ......."Hawker Driver" ;)

Ray

lothiandon1940 and Roothawg like this.
  25. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Well that was a few years back. Now it’s Gulfstream driver. So now I’m REALLY gone all the time.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. If you want general stockish motivation the GM engines from summit are pretty good.
    If you want a bunch more umph for a few bucks more look at blueprint engines.
    If you want something that's really high stepping then find your local guys who know their shit. The local guys really just can't compete on the stock level with the new crate engines, exceptions and right time right place deals do happen there. The local guys seem to be more competitive on high performance builds though.

27. Bought a crate motor on eBay. GM dealer in Virgina. No tax free shipping and $400 less than local dealer. Bonus a $50 dollar visa gift card. Was here in 5 days. Picked it at the shippers lot.
    Very nice people to deal with. Hadley Chevrolet I think

28. I bought an O/T astro van with a 260 HP 350 crate motor in it. Don't know how many miles were on it but I'm sure it was over 30,000. I put another 50-60,000 on it with no problems. Had a aluminum intake with 600 Holley and a pair of full length headers on it...Never gave me trouble. Ran ok but at 260 HP it wasn't a wailer.

29. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

We haven't used a sbc engine of any type for the last 4 or 5 years but instead use the infinitely better Hamb unfriendly newer one. The last sbc we used was from Summit and a bit of advice; don't get the $1600 cheap one unless you have a COMPLETE parts engine. By the time we chased down intake, carb, starter, alternator, dampner, distributor, water pump, fuel pump, and on and on we would have been WAY better off getting a five grand turn key one.