Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rookie question on bias ply air pressure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Knghtcadi, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

26 to 32 psi.....I personally would try 30 psi and see how I liked the ride and handling. Adjust as necessary.

Ray

lothiandon1940 and porknbeaner like this.
  3. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

Ok thanks I’ll try it

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. On my '59 Ford with radials, started with 32 in the back and it bounced quite a bit, dropped it to 30 and better. I'll try 28 psi next. With old cars and bias ply tires, we used to put 28 psi in the tires across the board.

porknbeaner likes this.

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buy an Owner's manual or see if there's one online you can access for free and it'll tell you exactly what pressure to use.

6. squirrel

squirrel

or google it, 26 front, 24 rear.

7. Standard tire size for 1954 Mercury Monterey Custom 4-Door Sedan:
    (in case of different tires in front and rear the dimensional data are valid for driving or rear wheels)

Standard tire size:

7.10 - 15

Tire width (mm):

Tire sidewall factor:

Rim size (in):

Total wheel diameter (mm / in):

705 / 27.8

Tire air pressure (cold):

Front:

180 kPa / 26 psi / 1.8 atm / 1.8 bar

Rear:

165 kPa / 24 psi / 1.6 atm / 1.7 bar

Maybe this will help. I found the specs online for you.

Edit damnit: Damnit Jim ( @squirrel ) you type faster than I cut n paste.:eek::p:D:D:D

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Manufacturer's recommended tire pressures in that era were biased (no pun intended) toward maximizing ride comfort, not handling. Adding a few pounds to minimize side wall deflection in turns was common practice. Also, tires have a range of recommended tire pressures, depending on loading. Such information is/was published by tire manufacturers. Take the auto factory specs with a 'grain of salt'.

As a general proposition, a bit more pressure is less detrimental to the tire than than too little.

Ray

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    lothiandon1940 and Knghtcadi like this.
  9. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

Cool thanks

10. squirrel

squirrel

yup, nice and mushy at factory specs...which is what you want, in a stocker or mild custom, right?

porknbeaner likes this.
  11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

26 in front 28 in back for that soft boulevard ride. 32 all around for fast road use.

302GMC and porknbeaner like this.
  12. Here is the thing with tires and pressures. The factory especially in that time era was concerned with ride quality. Once fuel mileage became and issue they started upping tire pressures.

The old man used to run his tires softer around town than out on the highway, on a rod trip they were brick hard and in town they were not. Low tire pressures means two things, tire heat and poor mileage ( generally speaking). My take on it is if you are going to be driving it for the next 4 hours keep 'em hard and if you are just hitting the local hot dog stands run 'em softer.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

These were the answers I was looking for , I’m going to a show this weekend which I’ll probably go a couple hundred miles of freeway , back roads and around town so I’m sure pumping them up will get it done

14. See how bouncy the rear is. My Ford was terrible at 32 in the rear, I really have to set all my pressures soon.

15. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I was taught, the air pressure is the tool that carries the load.
    you can have a tire with 0 psi, technically it is not under inflated if it is not carrying a load.
    If you are going to load 6 kegs of beer in the back of the desoto, you may want to bump the air pressure to max.
    The max rating listed on the sidewall, is for safety concerns.
    You do not want to lift 3 tons with a crane rated for 2 tons.

If the tire says 32 psi max on the sidewall, that does not mean you should run 32 psi in it, just do not run more then that. 26/24 sounds like a great starting point

16. Remember its a Ford not a Buick. :D :D :D

Most of these old hoopties rode like lumber wagons when you got the pressure up there. A kid I went to high school with had a '58 post car. He always wanted me to check the air pressure when he brought his car into the station and always made a big deal out of he wanted exactly 28 and 30. I finally got smart and just handed him the gauge when he came in.

I think that it takes a bit of playing to get them right. We play with the drivetrain, change the tires, gas shocks or hydraulic. I think it all makes a difference. ;)

Hnstray likes this.
  17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you want to get all propellerhead about it...

Your car is supported on a column of air above the contact patch of the tire. The contact patch is the ideal, oval patch of rubber that contacts the ground. If you have the ideal pressure it will be the perfect size, not too big or too small, with the same pressure all across not lighter in the middle (underinflated) or ligher on the edges (overinflated).

So to find the ideal air pressure weigh each corner of the car individually. Calculate the square inches of tire patch you ideally should have. Divide that number into the weight in pounds to find out how many pounds per square inch of air you need.

Something to keep you amused on a rainy afternoon.

18. Or just make a chalk line across the tire and keep playing with it til the line disappears evenly. LOL

That's backyard applied physics at its best. ;)

Tim and Hnstray like this.
  19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^^^^^^

Benno.......you NEVER disappoint! :D

Ray

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

I save that for my front end alignment

porknbeaner likes this.
  21. AndersF

AndersF

I like to have the pressure on the low side.
    High pressure seems to make the tires more sensible to follow grooves on the road.

Knghtcadi likes this.
  22. Reading and absorbing here. Beaner - you are my hero. Rusty, great explanation. Makes sense. Probably I need to lower the air pressure in my fronts.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. Here's a fact, inflate all four bias ply tires to a minimum of 32 psi and it will almost entirely eliminate squirreling at hiway speeds on any vehicle!

24. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Super high tire pressure does decrease rolling resistance but it just pounds the hell out of wheel bearings not to mention rattles yer fillings.

25. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

So I put 32 in all four tires today , def handles better but has some slight squiling in sharp turns

26. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That could be .....a) natural tire scrub.....b) alignment issues......c) non-stock wheel offset...d) all of the preceding.....

I would try to get an accurate measurement of toe-in...be sure is is set correctly. Toe errors can/will wear tires rapidly. If you can find a competent shop that will do a full alignment, that might be worth considering.

Ray

27. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

It’s def a alignment issue I need to get it aligned again , I had it done last summer but I knew it was wrong and the shop wouldn’t give me print out so I know it was off

28. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

In other words, the air pressure should be proportional to the car's weight distribution. It's what I run on my DD (modern 50-series radials at 38PSI front and 26PSI rear – handles well) but I derived it differently. Increasing air pressure in a tyre affects its sidewall deformation or slip-angle resistance exactly the same as decreasing the load on the tyre. The tyre can't differentiate between carrying 700lbs @ 38PSI and carrying 480lbs @ 26PSI.

The idea here is to get the tyres to respond to the roll-stiffness bias (i.e. lateral weight transfer distribution) rather than the weight distribution. In the case of the DD it just tunes out that ridiculously idiot-proof excess of understeer you generally find in a small hatchback.

Hnstray likes this.
  29. Just to middy up the water and rattle a tree or two.

I am surprised that no one has come up with filling them with nitrogen instead of air. :rolleyes:

Ned Ludd likes this.