Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods juice brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadgary, Apr 24, 2018.

1. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i am thinking about building a '23 t gow job. i will build the frame and put a model a axle on it with a '33 ford rear bandgo. the reason for the rear is, i have it. i also have the motor and trans. the motor is pristine, hence the use. i will be getting round spindles for the front so i can use the usual '40 brakes, but the rear is a caution. will the '40 ford brakes bolt on? also, are the fronts the same as the rear? i have 4 model a wire wheels to use, is there a problem bolting these on the '40 drums. i see most of these builds use the mechanical brakes , but i drive the wheels off my cars and i like the safety factor.

2. alchemy

alchemy

40 brakes will bolt on a 33 rear like they weren't made for it. The A wheels will bolt on the 40 brakes but you will need inner support rings. They replace the ridge present on the A hubs but missing on 40 hubs.

3. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

wow!! you guys answered all my questions. thanks a lot. except one. are the front brakes the same as the rear. in other words, will the fronts bolt on the rear too. if they do, then all i need are 4 sets of brakes right? fronts or rears.

4. Garpo

Garpo

Rear is similar. Same shoes & drums -smaller bore wheel cyls and handbrake linkage to make the h/b work.
    Note as with front left and right are mirror image. Garpo

5. Note that the rear backing plates are different from the front in that they have a tube to guide the emergency brake cable. Make sure to get backing plates with all of the hand brake linkage as it is difficult to find piece by piece.

Charlie Stephens

IMG_7884.jpg IMG_7887.jpg

6. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

that's it. i have never even seen '40 brake parts so i wasn't sure. the pics really tell the tale. thanks again.

7. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I take an extra couple of minutes and TIG the mounting holes and redrill them to reclock the backing plate placing brake.jpg the wheel cylinder in the upright position. Ron