Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Where is the best hot rod town?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheeldog57, Apr 23, 2018.

1. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Let's take into consideration the amount of hot rods and customs, rod shops, traffic, weather and roads. L.A.? Austin? S.L.C? Orlando? Is the best hot rod town even in the USA?

Sent from my E6810 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Gatlinburg Tenn. use to have the most car shows that I knew of. I would move there if my wife would go.....

WTF really likes this.
  3. robracer1

robracer1

A vote for Lake Havasu AZ.

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Prescott Arizona. Probably more Hot Rods per capita than most places.

da34guy, Special Ed and lurker mick like this.

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Inland Empire, SoCal.

GuyW, Blacktop VooDoo and 32Dan like this.
  6. We do pretty good in Connecticut and surrounding States. Something going on every weekend and cruise nights every night of the week within an hour or less.:cool:
    The West coast has lots of stuff, but how do you guys get there.:eek:
    Must use back roads only. :rolleyes: Have seen some nice cars out in Cali.
    I will admit the best Hot Rod culture these day seems to be in other countries.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  7. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

The small town of Burnout in the country of Rodlandia.

8. pitman

pitman

I'm wanting to check out Austin sometime. (Or maybe Squirrel's AZ region!) Sumthin' in the water thea!

Doctorterry and wbrw32 like this.
  9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There's a town in Canada called Kempville which surprisingly has few traditional customs.
    You need to find Radiator Springs on Route 66.

B Bay Barn and 23 Skidoo like this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, lots places to go and see to decide for yourself - California has a pretty good window of opportunity to do stuff because of the weather. some other places freeze in Winter, or are already too hot that limits activities - maybe do like the "Snowbirds" and follow the Sun

11. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Voting for some place in Alabama. Unknown where yet, but the lack of need for title is amaing

12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

The one ya find good buddys to hang with,do hot rods an customs with fun get togethers. It could be anywere at a given time frame. My own has been Miami Fla. for the passed 70 years

pitman, Clay Belt and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There were hot rods here (Merced, CA) in the '80s. We moved here a short time after Richard did...(Richard Ruth of 'Graffitti Falfa' fame) There were skads of hot rods then, but soon as I get here? They all turned into 'street rods'!
    There were a few members of the 'Merced Street Racers'...one of the self-proclaimed 'fast Malibus' saw my son's '65 Mustang stage in front of his store. We couldn't even get a race with "Merced's Street..." :eek::D
    The owners did look a little older by then, hence all the Vega steering, AODs, tilt columns, power windows, A/Cs, tame crate SBCs, etc. Lots more 'Retired' flat-front ball caps, too.
    ...And the flamed shorts! Saw an old geezer (about my age) wearing those, in the bank. I said, "Hey! Hot Pants!" He didn't get it. Hell, probably just a good guy.
    Nope. The hot rods have split.

Gman0046 and rust runner like this.
  14. Long Island NY has tons of old cars, but the driving season for many is short. I drive mine all year when the roads are dry and the salt is washed off them. Every night of the week you can catch a cruise night, a few of them draw hundreds of cars.

Tsp_olds likes this.
  15. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

As mentioned, the best place is where your heart and hot rod are parked.
    Throw in some buddies (male and female), a place to watch race cars (or race), a place to park on a Saturday morning for some coffee and donuts,,,, what more is needed?

16. Well stated Dana and I whole hardheartedly agree with you,mine happens to be in the upstate of South Carolina. HRP

pprather, ABONES and dana barlow like this.
  17. trollst

trollst

Wherever you park your hat, make the place fit you, not the place fitting you in.

dana barlow likes this.
  18. Gman0046

Gman0046

Kentucky is old car friendly. No PD harassment and easiest YOM statutes in the country. NSRA Nats (over 10 K cars), NHRA Hot Rod Reunion, Goodguys at the KY Horse Park, and within driving distance of many hot rod events in Ohio, Tennessee and Indiana.

Gary

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    55 Ford Gasser and Hnstray like this.
  19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Name a town...not an area....... It's Huntington Beach Ca.

Surf City likes this.
  20. Buffalo,NY is loaded with car stuff 6 months out of the year, multiple cruise nights each day of the week drawing hundreds of cars at each and multiple car shows on the weekends doing the same. 20180424_202357.jpg 20180424_202453.jpg

21. Gman0046

Gman0046

Lots of great towns in Kentucky. Take your pick. If it ends in KY its got to be good. KY is green, treed and rolling hills. Not much traffic with the exception of Louisville and Lexington. Still Americana with decent housing prices and taxes.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    nunattax and 55 Ford Gasser like this.
  22. Not a year-round choice, but Wendover during Speedweek is a great hot rod town.

Overall I agree, it is where you are and enjoying the other cars and people to hang out with.

pitman and dana barlow like this.
  23. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Some cool responses guys. Long island has always had a street racing scene and everybody knows Socal has year round hot rod weather.
    But traffic woes plague both areas. I agree that where you hang your hat is usually the best because you know where and when to go to the cruises and rod runs.

Sent from my E6810 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Squablow

Squablow

It's not anywhere in Wisconsin, that's for sure. The weather and roads tend to turn old cars to dust like that Nazi guy at the end of Last Crusade. He chose....Poorly.

DA Suede Rods and fourspeedwagon like this.
  25. It's nice to hear about the pride some have, and are sharing in/about their hometowns.
    As is evident with this thread there are many car events throughout most all areas..so get your ride out and enjoy it with like minded people, while at the same time showing the younger generation our passion with the bonus of potentially recruiting more into our world.

pprather likes this.
  26. No brainer...it's Omaha, Nebraska!
    Twice I've lived in San Diego and after reading hot rod magazine I thought I'd see hot rods all over the place...shee-it! I didn't see any hot rods but I did get involved in a hot rod pickup club while living in Sacramento for awhile.

Malcolm likes this.
  27. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Glendale, CA (then)
    Pomona, CA (now)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    1stGrumpy likes this.
  28. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

I'll throw my opinion in for Spencer Iowa, I went there and called a guy I met once passing through my town (in a blown 34 Ford) he proceeded to take me to 3 or 4 home shops and there are hot rods everywhere! Parked on the streets and driving around! He took to a museum a few miles up the road where they let locals park their classics in a climate controlled 3/4 scale main street! Neon and all! They also have cruises and a big show once a year that they drag race on the local airstrip! The town is super friendly and traffic is non-existing. I love it! If I didn't already have a house here I would move. It's definitely worth the trip if you get close.

Sent from my E6782L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

verno30 and stik70 like this.
  29. I'm out east enough so traffic isn't bad. I avoid events that are congested and have traffic problems like Coney Island (Rumblers show) and the Belmont car shows. Even a few local shows have a one-lane in and out thing going against them.