Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Was there ever a Ford FE 427 with the distributor in the rear??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Is it just me, or does that engine have an abundance of exhaust ports... and spark plugs......???

Ray

chryslerfan55 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  2. zzford, Blue One, subdajj and 2 others like this.
  3. I have one.;) I can't take any pictures of it though to show you as it has been tied up in litigation with Ford for several years since they found that I had it.:( It was originally installed in a 1965 Ford Lion which was a European Galaxy export which wasn't intended for domestic sale. Carroll Shelby initially had the car but sold it when he found out that Ford wanted it back.:eek: After several owners I acquired it in 2001, running but the vehicle is in rough shape.:( So anyway if you want to see a picture of it I am waiting for Ford to settle with me for $2,8000000000000000000.:rolleyes: Until then, no picture. Have another nice dream.:confused:

zzford, Clay Belt and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

And two motor mounts per side, one going right into the headers!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. Deuces

Deuces

It's been photo chopped....
    Here's the real one..... SOHC 427 Ford.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You used to couldn’t believe your ears, now you can’t believe your eyes! Bones

Hnstray likes this.
  7. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

The burden of proof shouldn't fall on you to prove they were never in the rear, it should be on him to prove it did.....

Hnstray likes this.
  8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I knew a guy that had a cougar with a Tunnel Port 351 Cleveland..Really..

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That's the theory of law too......"Innocent until proven guilty".....but pity the poor (innocent) bastard
    who goes to court relying on that premise.......:D

Ray

chryslerfan55 and Randall like this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

intake (1).JPG s-l640 (4).jpg
    Nothing more than a 4-bbl Cleveland motor... Them things have BIG intake ports....

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    seb fontana and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

In "The Friends of Eddie Coyle", there is a 71 Road Runner, with the "383 hemi". It gets trashed.

12. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I actually seen a "Ball Stud Hemi" once. Literally put hands on it. It was neat! A acquaintance of mine, Lee M., bought it, had the late "Speed Specialties" (machine shop from San Diego) help him get it machined and bolted together. Mr. Lee doesn't keep anything, so it was sold.... I was really fascinated with the odd Engine.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. bogart62

bogart62

In the front of the engine. Great engines. This one is in my boat IMG_0321.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I think I remember seeing one in a Model A 3 window coupe.........

zzford likes this.
  15. I can't believe this has gone 2 pages on such a basic question and answer...

Hnstray likes this.
  16. sunbeam

sunbeam

The same guy probability swears 67 350s had small journals I've met more than one of them.

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

'slow news day'...............

Ray

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hell, I'd bet he'd swear there weren't any 350's in 67.

19. Deuces

Deuces

Well, you know how it is.....
    Everybody wants to put their .02¢ in.... :)

20. rodnut

rodnut
    from indiana

21. rodnut

rodnut
    from indiana

FED60D3C-B3B4-44D3-BBDF-16941DB21262.jpeg Here is a pic of my 1963 427 distributor in the front

22. Actually I have seen more then one 427 with the distributer in the rear some tall decks and others not. They were all GM motors though. LOL

I don't see any reason why Ford would take a good performance oriented motor and make it have more timing deflection by moving the distributer/magneto to the other end of the cam shaft. I am not Mr Ford but Ford had it right when they put the distributer in the front. It is just a better design. ;)

Stupid is like crazy if you are you don't know that you are.

I personally am batshit crazy and dumb as wood. But I like life in my world better then the one everyone else lives in.:confused::p:rolleyes::D:D:D

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Hnstray likes this.
  23. And, in 1955 I had a brand new Chevy. Just for fun, I pulled the distributor out and put the oil fill tube in the hole. Then I got a big 1 1/2" auger and ran it down the hole where the oil filler used to be. Then I pulled the cam and put it in backwards. Last I put the distributor on the new hole and drove it that way for 60 years. It was all worth it as I changed points every 6 months.

porknbeaner likes this.
  24. Deuces

Deuces

Ummmm..... Yeah! :rolleyes::confused:o_O

porknbeaner likes this.
  25. did you turn the oil pan around and drive the oil pump from the front also?

porknbeaner likes this.
  26. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that.

Old wolf and porknbeaner like this.
  27. @Hnstray I like this world too. :D ^^^^^

getting back to point I have never seen or heard of an FE with a rear distributer.

You can put 426 heads on a B or RB block. Bigger head bolts/studs and outside drains. Its an easy mod, well in the world of modified engines its an easy mod. The 426 Hemi used the same basic platform, basic being the operative word here.

I have considered the front distributer kit for my small block. Not to look like a Ford or to make it easier to change points even, from a performance aspect it just makes good sense. Of course there are two things that are a real set back on that. One is I don't have an article from a little book with that mod so I couldn't say that it is trad :rolleyes: and the other big killer for the mod is ccost. ;)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Old wolf likes this.
  28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

pffftt! you are too modest.....I suspect that would be mere pocket change for Raytown's leading automotive luminary..!! :)

Ray

porknbeaner likes this.