Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Save of the day!!(single seater)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

If those are our choices; big.

2. phat rat

phat rat

Then keep looking. Your opinion is the one that matters

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I dont like them because the car looks so kool with out lights. But I have to put something on it.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  4. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

I lean more to the smaller ones, I think the bigger ones stick out like sore thumb. But that’s just me throwing in my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

You could make them easily detachable so in the daytime you can take them off and tuck them behind the seat or someplace they don't show. Driving in the daytime most cops probably wouldn't notice that you don't have headlights. If they do, just pull them out and install them in front of him. Most of the late 60's Mercs had disappearing headlights, seems about the same to me. They had headlights, but they didn't show til the driver needed them and turned them on.

Stogy likes this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Wayne67vert

Wayne67vert

Big looks more period correct.

brEad, chop job and patmanta like this.
  9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I thought about that also. I have an O.T. XS 650 Yamaha street tracker with a number plate on the front with headlights hidden behind it. I built a track so I can lift the plate and have headlights. First ride on it I had ridden no more than 10 mins and got pulled over because the cop thought it was a full tilt race bike. I'm thinking thats what would happen with the single seater.

sko_ford and Stogy like this.
  10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Stogy likes this.
  11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Just for fun, you might consider fab-ing up something like these Alfa Romeo GP / GT car mounts (but a little lower!) that allow the lights to be turned 90 to the inside, to keep their lenses clean and free of rock damage when not in use. I doubt there was any aero advantage, but they look racy to me. I still might do a pair for my Model A, whenever that gets started. Or not. Gary
    [​IMG]

DSC_7761aW2000.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  12. abner36

abner36

The big ones, mounted lower like stogy photo shopped them looks pretty cool.

Doctorterry and Stogy like this.
  13. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

If you're driving the car mostly in the same county, it shouldn't take too long to train the cops to know that you're legal.
    ...just sayin'

Doctorterry likes this.
  14. atch

atch

I'm sure that the folks who say the bigs look more period correct are right. However, that said, I think that big looks out of place on a race oriented car which should (imo) strive to be minimalistic. I think that the lights should come as close to disappearing as is physically possible.

Doctorterry likes this.
  15. What a pleasure to witness such creativity and engineering skills come to life... visionary.
    FWIW - big lights seem right to me

16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Dicked around and cut down a 29 Packard eight side curtain I had found at a ranch years ago. I think its going to look Bitchin. I only have the one side but being that the car is going to have a six in it I think being asymmetrical will look alrite. IMG_2765.JPG IMG_2766.JPG IMG_2767.JPG IMG_2768.JPG

17. sodakmini

sodakmini

Side curtain looks great! What about only one of the big lights, Centered?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RR-GGV3a.JPG

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Dusty-NZ, BigO, Doctorterry and 3 others like this.
  19. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ha Ha stog, Did I mention that is the exact tire choice I want to run or did you read my mind? I would have to go back a few pages to see if I had mentioned that.

Stogy likes this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You did mention the choice in a previous post and I figured at least the back ones were correct...these are dirt tires I understand and they look quite fitting on this Racer.

Quite often initials were applied the the guards used as well. Finding suitable doners for the photo experience is a challenge. If the angle is off you can only distort it so much without losing reality.

Hope this all helps make decisions down the road.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  21. alchemy

alchemy

I think that hood side would be just fine. Then run the same bead around the edge of the other side, and have the car-length chrome pipe poke right out of the middle.

I like the bigger headlights. I have something similar planned for my narrowed T modified, but mine are slightly different. I realize the racers shouldn't really have lights, but I hope my plan will make them look like they belong.

22. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I like the look of a wider wheel in the rear so I have been building a set of wide 5 wheels. I found a pair of Dodge intrepid 16x6 1/2" steel wheels(in the pic it says its a Ford wheel but it is not), the wide 5 centers fit like a glove. IMG_2769.JPG IMG_2771.jpg IMG_2772.JPG IMG_2773.JPG IMG_2774.JPG IMG_2775.JPG

Atwater Mike, brEad, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  23. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Very cool mod! Did you set the run-out and weld them yourself?

24. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I did. Every thing turned out good on the first wheel. Had about 10,000th on my homebuilt wheel stuck a stock wheel on and it had about 50,000th. so I think I did ok.

25. AmishMike

AmishMike

Ref steering wheel: friend had water jet company cut circle & 4 triangle holes & mounting holes all 1 piece aluminum ( .25 ) I believe. He then fit 4 sections of sanded wood on top & 4 under & mounted with brass bolts sanded down to look like rivets. Ended up with great wheel. With your skills u get the idea & can build. Great car

brEad, BradinNC and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

27. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Picked up my 40 Dodge pickup 3 speed top loader tonight. Along with it I got a bell housing ,flywheel ,pressure plate ,clutch disk, throwout bearing and drive shaft . The guy also threw in an old exhaust manifold so I can cut the flange off to split my manifold and a set of dodge pickup shock mounts Like the ones I already have. Now I have four matching mounts. IMG_2798.JPG

28. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Havent done shit on the project. Today after work I cut down my Dodge truck bell housing to fit between the frame rails. I still need to figure out how I'm going to mount the motor and trans. I think I,m leaning towards mounting it solid(like a real race car) IMG_2817.jpg IMG_2820.jpg IMG_2821.JPG IMG_2822.JPG

29. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Still looks mighty heavy. If you're not going to use it for mounting to the frame, you can take a hell of a lot more. Could even Swiss cheese it. Looks almost as heavy as the engine block, haha.

chryslerfan55 and sodakmini like this.
  30. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Its still heavy as hell but until I have the motor and trans bolted to it I'm not cutting any more off it. And yes It might get some lighting holes in it.

chryslerfan55 and Fabber McGee like this.