Register now to get rid of these ads!

Testimonials about Scarebird Classic Brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Trigun15, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Trigun15

Trigun15

I'm new to the HAMB...and noticed Scarebird Classic Brakes in the vendor listing. I like what I've seen on their website, but I was wondering how many of you have used their products, and what can you share about them?

Thanks in advance.

2. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

I have his rear caliper brackets on my Olds rearend. They bolted up and fit good, my only complaint is I can see a slight bit of deflection in the 1/4" bracket when the brakes are fully applied. This very common with the fabricated flat plate steel brackets from what I understand, no big deal at all, they work good.

Marty McFly

Attached Files:

3. Trigun15

Trigun15

Thanks for the reply Marty. Input always helps when dealing with a new vendor.

I see there have been a lot of views here but not many posts. Is there anyone else who has worked with this vendor. My '53 has a Camaro subframe (rearsteer), and still running the drum brakes....I would really like to make the change, and this company's product interests me.

Has anyone used their GM front disc conversion?

Regards,
    Sam

41rodderz likes this.
  4. Gator

Gator

5. Why don't ya go to the wrecking yard or ebay and pick up a set of stock disc? gotta be a lot cheaper. I got their kit on my 50 and am not to impressed, it works.

6. The Fairlane of American Club editor wrote up an article about his brackets for 62-65 fairlanes. It was a very positive article with few notes and suggestions. Scarbird saw the suggestions and made the changes for a better product.
    I believe he sets you up with a list of parts required for the conversions.

7. Trigun15

Trigun15

Thanks for the responses gentlemen....any information or opinions are always appreciated.

Gator....thank you very much for the tech link. VERY helpful.

I'm really liking the boards here at HAMB. =)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  8. Abomb

Abomb

I put a scarebird kit on the front of my 55 Buick and couldn't be happier.......

9. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

I got a set up for my '62 Falcon, everything went together with the parts they reccommended, no complaints. The service was excellent! Plus the cost was great! I have no complaints at this point. I haven't drivin the car yet as it is a work in progress but I cannot forsee any problems . Quality stuff as far as I'm concerned. :)

10. JOHL92118

JOHL92118

Man, I'm a bit late on this one. Question Tombstone how did this work out in the long run? I was looking at these for my '61 Falcon but haven't found any great documentation online.

11. 62hotcat

62hotcat

We used his kits on 2 of our 62 Pontiacs 1 was a daily for 3 years. No problems whatsoever. I think he's on here as Scarebird.

12. BJR

BJR

Why not just use newer Camaro spindles from a bone yard. Get spindles, and buy new rotors, hoses, calipers and pads.

13. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

I’ve got lots of miles under this car , I’ve also put a disc brake kit on the ford 8 inch in this wagon , and have had absolutely no issues with the kits . I’d recommend SCAREBIRD kits.

14. I just got my Scarebird 8" rear end disc conversion brackets. Which way does the e-brake cable come in? Top, Bottom, Front, Back? It would probably work any way I install them but I don't want to try every way to see what's right.
    Thanks 20190912_165532.jpg 20190912_165528.jpg

15. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

I don’t have the car anymore so I can’t run out and check it , but I believe I went with front /bottom . Sorry I can’t give you a definitive answer.....

16. manyolcars

manyolcars

I bought scarebirds kit for discs on my 1950 Ford. They do not fit unless I grind on my spindles. And I dont want to do that. Do NOT recommend!

17. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I had to grind reliefs into my early ford spindles to fit F100 drum brakes... Doesn't seem to be an issue.

18. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I have their front disc brackets on my Mustang for about ten years now. They work good, they made the swap really affordable with off the shelf parts.

19. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

I put a disk brake kit on the front of my 48 Plymouth. Works perfectly.

20. 34Phil

34Phil

Nova discs work too as Camaro will be rare in JY. That's what I used on G body subframe.

21. earlymopar

earlymopar

I have their front spindle hubs and caliper brackets on my 65 Dodge. The rest of the pieces were off of the parts list they provide. No issues for me and everything works well.

- EM

22. 00buck

00buck
    from N.C.

I used Scare bird disc brake conversion brackets on my 1950 Plymouth Business Coupe got off the shelf calipers pads and rotoes. Which is very convenient. Did the conversion 2011 driven the over 12 thousand miles without any problems.