Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***April 2018 Banger Meet - Don't Be Fooled Into More than 4***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Doug,
    Since nobody's had any answers to your questions, I'll try to address them. The only caveat is that I know NOTHING about the architecture of the Model T block.

1. The rule of thumb for oil pressure is 10 psi per 1000 rpm
    2. When the whole system is pressurized, I go for a pick up (shielded with anti-vortex or drysump tube pickups)), pump, filter (then storage tank if drysump), oil distribution gallery, crank, cam (with spray on cam gear)
    3. Pressure relief is in the pump.
    4. Wrist pins and Piston skirts are lubed by drilling a hole in the top side of the rods at the crank cap and bearing. No more than 3/32nd (if that much).
    5. Oil storage can be anywhere. Gravity shouldn't an issue; but the number of stages in the oil pump will be. I, for example, in my current engine (in the race car) have the oil storage under the crankcase, separated by a series of baffles. I' m one that believe's that oil is not only a lubricant, but a coolant. Therefore my system contains about 2 gallons of oil. Further, oil storage should be of the type that the inlet should be on a tangent and the outlet should have a vertical stack, all to provide surface area to rid the oil of foam.
    6. By all means use compression, or better yet, AN fittings.

With all this said: if it were my project, I'd get rid of the Model T tranny. Even though Dan McEachran, in San Jose, has modifications for them, those transmission must eat up a bunch of power and create a lot of heat; that all your engine "mods' are going to be for not. I'd go for a Volvo 45. Or if you want to stay "in period" an early Chevrolet 3 speed.

Dannerr and winduptoy like this.
  2. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

my motor . yes I took up a lot of band width . a young man asked me to post .

Attached Files:

3. Jiminy

Jiminy

Thanks! It has been many decades since I was referred to as "a young man"!

4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

well don't get a big head ! LOL

5. It’s official....Fuel pump boss...Model B it is!!!

Now to find some B rods...cheap!

Thanks all for your patience and information!!

Dannerr and winduptoy like this.
  6. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

Some pics I took at the Model A Pancake Breakfast today. What a great turnout 20180422_104826.jpg 20180422_104820.jpg 20180422_100311.jpg 20180422_100200.jpg 20180422_100236.jpg 20180422_100042.jpg 20180422_093334.jpg

Jet96, Dannerr, Old Dawg and 2 others like this.
  7. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am going to have some B rods with good (new) babbitt. I'm going to insert the engine
    I'll make you a deal

brett4christ likes this.
  8. Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  9. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you, could you elaborate a bit further on this part:

" storage should be of the type that the inlet should be on a tangent and the outlet should have a vertical stack, all to provide surface area to rid the oil of foam."

When you say the inlet/pick up should be on a tangent, do you mean the pick up should be angled slightly as opposed to parallel to the bottom of the sump? and what do you mean by a vertical stack on the outlet? (is the vertical stack, like a exterior tank?)

Old Dawg likes this.
  10. Jiminy Christmas, I had no idea it was so big. I'm a fool for skipping it. Next year..

11. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DM sent

12. lake_harley

lake_harley

Thinking that many who follow these monthly 4-banger threads may not check the "Wanted" Classified ads on a regular basis I thought I'd mention that I'm interested in finding a Model B carburetor for my Model A. I've seen several on ebay, but they're what I'd consider either overpriced or locked up, missing parts and look like they were dug out from under a foot of dirt. I'm interested in something useable and/or rebuildable. I'd rather find and install an aluminum down-draft aftermarket intake and carb for the "hot rod" appearance, but considering the only mods I intend to do for now are relatively minor, a Model B carb will probably be an improvement.

Thanks

Lynn
    [email protected]
    (573) 788-2574

For anyone looking at this older thread and this post, I have found a Model B carb. Thanks to those who contacted me about one.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  13. I must preface my remarks by saying that I have never built or used a tank such as I describe. I'm retelling knowledge recounted to me by Bruce Burness who was once a builder, mechanic and crew chief for George Follmer on several of Follmer's cars. The idea for this tank was passed to Bruce by Jim Hall to be used on a Lola T-70.

The type oil tank I'm referring to is generally cylindrical, probably at least a one gallon capacity (I use two gallons in my system). This allows the inlet running at a tangent to a lower side wall to allow the oil to enter at such an angle as to start to dissipate trapped air. The outlet should be at the bottom of the tank, with a vertical pipe (standpipe). I would think it would work best if the vertical outlet pipe went up from the center bottom of the tank; it's opening being in the upper quarter (or eighth) of the tank. The outlet pipe should extend higher than the inlet. This so that a full complement of oil will be in that reservoir at all times. In fact, I THINK to operate properly the level of oil, with the engine running, should be HIGHER than the entrance edge of the "Stand pipe". And perhaps put an ant-vortex shield on it. The filler should have a vented cap. You will need a second stage on your oil pump to take the oil out of the tank.

14. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll check and see if I have a spare.
    You need to open up the A intake bore also. You can use the 'B ' intake but it puts the carb off at an angle.
    I'll send you PM if I have an extra.
    Larry

15. lake_harley

lake_harley

winduptoy....Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you. If you'd like, you can let me know by e-mail if you find something. Perhaps you could send a photo too?

Lynn

16. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

GASSERBOB, Binger, waxhead and 4 others like this.
  17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have one that has been bead blasted and looks to be complete and buildable.
    I'll PM you with some photos

Larry

18. rockman29

rockman29

Thanks for posting Larry, motor looks great. If anyone else is interested I have one more smooth cover for sale $50 + shipping. This is well below cost, just selling off the rest of my stock.

winduptoy and Dannerr like this.
  19. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Rockman, sent you a DM. I will take the cover if you still have it.

winduptoy likes this.
  20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

[​IMG]

I have one of those but made by "condor" , now out of business . great looking motor ......... what OHV system do you use

21. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is a Cragar/Miller cast iron head. I've got the most experience with them. I'll post up some photos of it when I get a little farther along.

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

graveyardsledder likes this.
  22. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

ill be looking for them . I just put together a cragar a few days ago . this was a 2 port . nice little head .. thanks .. steve

23. RussTee

RussTee

What plugs are you guys useing with your thomas heads?

24. Jiminy

Jiminy

25. I met Jim at the Long Beach swapmeet in 2000 and we traded parts from then on... We touched base after each medical procedure and geographic move. I do have photos of he and Z and I promised him that would not be splashed on the internet. We've had hamburgers with Ed Iskederian at Pamona.... Chili at the Nitro Nationals and great laughs at Long Beach. He had me look at secret car stashes in Wisconsin and just knew a lot of things about a lot of things as well as people. II'l truly miss him and his early morning conversations to account for the time difference from Poland. I pray for Z for her loss and for healing. I'd tell Jim I was praying for him and he'd say I don't believe but I appreciate your thoughts and well wishing. Well Jim... I hope you found out some of the answers to your questions! I miss you buddy!