Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 303 Olds Valve Cover Torque Specs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cmarcus, Apr 23, 2018.

1. cmarcus

cmarcus

Does anyone have the torque specs on the valve cover bolts?

I don't have a manual yet, and CANNOT for the life of me find them online anywhere.

Thank you!

2. Valve covers don’t really have a torque spec just tighten me down really and if you really need a number look at a small block chevy

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Sbc is 3ft lbs so no more than as much as it takes to tightened with fist around a rachet wrench

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

except a sbc is nothing like a olds really. sbc has 4 peripheral bolts where a 303 has 2 central bolts. I would think the olds would take just a little more pressure than a sbc. also matters if it's stock steel or aftermarket aluminum. some of the aluminum ones are not the flattest.

5. Just looked in my 52 Shop manual. There was no mention of a torque spec.
    My 58 manual says 5-6 foot pounds.

6. TERPU

TERPU

Snug, that's all no more and no less.

LOU WELLS and porknbeaner like this.
  7. Tighten them up with your hand on a wrench. If they leak, snug them up a little more...

8. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Or use Dodge flathead tappet cover thumb screws...

Attached Files:

9. This is going to sound a little crass Ok a lot but I am going to say it anyway. If you are torqueing a rocker cover or looking for torque specs to torque a rocker cover you are way over thinking it.

Just grab a wrench and tighten it down, if the gasket squirts out the sides you over tightened it and if it leaks you need to snug it a little more. Most ( not all) mechanic work is done by feel. I think that is why mechanics used to serve apprenticeships. Books are fine I keep a few around but the real education comes with time and a wrench in hand.

10. Exactly what I was getting at. It's a part that doesn't require a torque reading.

porknbeaner likes this.
  11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

12. I know but I speak Canadian. :p :D :D :D
    We are nearly always on the same page I just read from the bottom to the top. Well that and you usually go faster than I do. ;)

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  13. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

beaner, when someone asks a question like this, I can tell the wrenching hasn't happened much and there probably isn't a phone a friend option. if they don't have a "feel" for it, a torque spec that doesn't require feel may help him to prevent the next question which is, how do i straighten my bent valve covers....

Budget36 likes this.
  14. My girlfriend says the same thing. :(

15. BJR

BJR

My friends snobbish asshole of a half brother asked him how much to torque the valve cover bolts on his MGA. He told him 20 lbs. You guessed it, the ass broke off both of them! :p:p:p

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's the same as a Y-Block Ford.....Google it...:rolleyes:

17. cmarcus

cmarcus

Thanks guys...it was more that they are leaking a little, I went a little more on them, and just feels like there is "more there", but don't want to overdo it. Sorry if I am over thinking it, but also didn't want to break anything is all. I have no idea if they have ever been off before. Sorry if it sounded uneducated. Thanks.