Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. I primed up the oil system today, (no leaks) Yeah. just need to connect a few more wires and its start up time. hook up water temp bimetal tube and I can then fill the radiator, add ATF to tranny. So Close !!

2. New arrival, Thank you Kirkey Racing Seats.. When Safety is paramount Kirkey Racing Seats fill the bill. IMG_0636.JPG IMG_0637.JPG IMG_0638.JPG IMG_0639.JPG IMG_0640.JPG IMG_0641.JPG IMG_0642.JPG IMG_0643.JPG

3. I spun the engine over today just to see if it would fire and BAM!! she fired right up. But no oil pressure. I shut it right back off and looked for the problem. I found the oil feed line and the pressure line were reversed. I had to flip the pump over and corrected the problem. this off set the pump shaft so I had to order a longer drive belt. they will be hear Thursday in time for the start up party this Saturday .. OMG She Sounds Awesome

4. I'll bet it sounds wild! Can you post a video when you fire it up? Would love to hear it...

loudbang likes this.
  5. Will do

loudbang likes this.
  6. Engine break in completed today tomorrow will be clean up day then load up the truck and bring it home for the start up party this Saturday. Thank you all who have helped to make this project a reality. If you have supported this project you are officially invited to the party. For those who can't come I will post a video of the start up..

7. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll wear my tee shirt all day Saturday provided to me graciously by Tom T.
    Awesome, quality project.... now you have me wanting to go soooooo bad
    Thank you for sharing and looking forward to that video
    All the best
    Larry

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. hear are some pics from the start up party today IMG_0648.JPG IMG_0659.JPG IMG_0662.JPG IMG_0673.JPG IMG_0675.JPG IMG_0676.JPG IMG_0677.JPG IMG_0679.JPG IMG_0681.JPG IMG_0682.JPG IMG_0683.JPG IMG_0684.JPG IMG_0685.JPG IMG_0687.JPG IMG_0688.JPG

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations to all involved on this milestone in the adventure...;)...Spring has sprung too I see...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. Thanks Stogy, spring is hear finally, what a great day...

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  11. OK boys, here's a little video, sorry it starts out sideways, but you get the idea. This is one NASTY six banger!

12. Sounds excellent! Thanks for the video.
    Can't wait to see/ hear it at full throttle going down the salt!

chryslerfan55, loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  13. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How very well done. Glad to see you realizing your dream. What's next?

loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  14. Final body work and paint.

15. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK that does it I'm going to have to see this run in person.
    Thank you for posting and see you in August

Larry

loudbang, D-Russ and RMR&C like this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

Nice turnout of fans!! Nothing sounds like a hopped up 6 cylinder mean and nasty. :)

chryslerfan55, Stogy and D-Russ like this.
  17. I took a few days this week to catch up on my honey do list at home. the truck is back at the shop and I will be hitting it hard next week. again less than 100 days to Bonneville Speed Week and I still have much to do.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  18. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

John ,

Great thread and build. Just a note , you know as soon as you unload on the salt the engine has approx 20% less hp than it had at your house right??? Then that number changes almost every hour thru out the day.. The air density is hard to track out there...

chryslerfan55, loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  19. Yes I know, 4700 or so feet A.S.L.

20. Great work day today, D-Russ came and preped the cowl and dash, taped up and ready for paint.
    Also more body work on the hood.
    Thanks Dave,

21. new work update, painted the dash and cowl. fabricated the door safety panel and installed it.. pics IMG_0689.JPG IMG_0690.JPG IMG_0691.JPG IMG_0692.JPG IMG_0693.JPG IMG_0694.JPG IMG_0695.JPG IMG_0696.JPG IMG_0697.JPG IMG_0698.JPG

22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Closer to 9000 in August but much better in October where I've had #'s in the low 4000's.
    If you don't have 14-1 you have a tough road in some classes chasing the record holder who has already done it. then a lot of useless parts when you sell stuff off.

23. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks good, make sure you get the approved arm restraints. Right now I believe the Diest and DG are but others will follow. Drivers have been known to loosen them after they leave the starting line and then are stupid enough to post videos of them driving and the officials see it. Also in very violent crashes the "D" ring style have split.

Tman, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  26. I polished the drivers door safety panel, finished the body work on the hood and have it in final primer ready for block sanding. Pics tomorrow

27. I finished the window net install today, shimed the dry sump out to tighten the drive belt just a little more, mounted the fire suppression bottle, blocked the hood and applied the final primer coat.cut and buffed the dash only to find it needs another coat of color. Working on a equal lock rear carrier for the 3.50 gear. Photos to follow tomorrow.

28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everything looks great 90+ days to go...

Stogy and loudbang like this.