Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Model A Coupe Y-Block Build (Father&Son)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by NathanxStewart, Jan 4, 2016.

1. metal man

metal man

NathanxStewart and Jake Sippl like this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No Problem, if your computer is equipped with windows photo viewer then it's easy.
    Save the picture(S) to your computer and when you open them with windows photo viewer you have the option to rotate them. :cool:

NathanxStewart and loudbang like this.
  3. Thank you so much!! Yeah we love Model A's!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Dino 64 like this.
  4. Hard work has its rewards.

NathanxStewart, loudbang and Dino 64 like this.
  5. Hey everyone!! Been awhile since I've been on here. Like my dad said we had a blast at the Autorama and I met a lot of amazing people! Here are some badass pictures that were taken over the weekend.

IMG_9894.JPG
    IMG_9712.JPG
    IMG_9716.JPG
    IMG_9725.JPG
    IMG_9726.JPG
    IMG_9757.JPG
    IMG_9758.JPG

*a few of these photos were not taken by me*

55Deso, kadillackid, 120mm and 6 others like this.
  6. It sure does!! Definitely worth all of the work

BradinNC, loudbang and Ray C's son like this.
  7. WOW! That is BEAUTIFUL!!! Turned out great.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Very cool Nate. The car looks great!

9. Car looks great!

10. brady1929

brady1929

Awesome hot rod

11. BradinNC

BradinNC

Is the car painted in a satin grey or is it primer? If it's in primer, that is very impressive.

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I believe it's in primer as is the new rad looking hood ;)

13. metal man

metal man

It's just epoxy primer. If you look closely, you will see some exposed welds and a ding or two. The panels are just sandblasted and epoxied.... no filler or anything like that yet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

BradinNC likes this.
  14. dylan60

dylan60
    from ny

i love the headers

15. mista

mista
    from Finland

That is my dream car.. I felt in love with it and had to check the whole thread at once. Great job and awesome craftmanship. I'm soooo in love right now..

loudbang likes this.
  16. Have not checked in here for a long time. Car looks great! Congrats!

17. cederholm

cederholm

Amazing build and stunning car!

18. Great build and I am sure you are very proud of your efforts. Saw your cars at Cobo and they look even better in person.
    Question about your wheels/tires...Are you running tubes?
    Did you order through Summit or from Coker?
    again, great job and demo of your skills

19. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

20. metal man

metal man

He's got tubes in the rear tires, but not in the front. We found the rear tires and tubes for sale in the HAMB classifieds, and the fronts came from Jegs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  21. It's been awhile since I've posted about the car on here. Since my last post I had a new Y-block built for the coupe, a very healthy one.

Dad and I went to a friends shop and found a 292 he had sitting around, a good one that was freshly rebuilt. Don't know exactly what was all done to it but I do know it was bored 0.40. So we bought the engine.

[​IMG]

Brought it home and I immediately tore into it. It definitely looked like a good block.

[​IMG]

Took it over to Radar Industries in Sunbury, Ohio (which is about 5 miles from my old mans fabrication shop) to have them look it over, make sure it's a good block, and to do the machine work/assembly.

Radar told us the engine was good and to order parts.

Here are the specs on this rowdy little Y-Block:

314ci, 11: 1 compression, had the crank offset ground to the 312 stroke, bored .060 over 292, puts out roughly 330 ft lbs of torque and around 325 hp (educated guess) haha

Cam specs:

Clay smith cam, 240 duration @ .050 and .485 valve lift

Got a set of '57 ECZ-G posted heads. Tim McMaster did all the good stuff to them, as well as pressurizing and rebuilding the rocker stands cause everyone knows how Y-Blocks had a problem getting oil up top.

Fenton tri power intake with Holley 2110's and progressive linkage which was my 18th birthday present from my old man. This intake isn't going anywhere, as well as the car!

Engine is back and it's time to pretty her up!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know what this color red is called, my friend that owns a body shop let me dig into his pile of some old Centari paint he had laying around and I found this red and I said that's perfect. What made it even more perfect is that it was free!!

Engine is in, hooked up, and we're ready to MAKE SOME NOISE!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also be patient I'm trying to figure out how to upload videos of the car running from my phone!

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You can’t, you have to put them on YouTube and copy the imbedded link.

It looks like you can upload video just like a picture but it doesn’t work.

Side note: how’s that 11-1 like pump gas?

loudbang and NathanxStewart like this.
  23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sounds similar in build specs to the 309 Y block Tim McMaster built for me.
    Mine has a 292 block and a 312 crank, the same heads and a similar cam.
    Truck con rods and flat top pistons with a little less compression.
    All in all a very healthy engine.

Should be fun.

brEad, Dino 64, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  24. First start up!

Started to break in the cam and the car quit running. Figured out it was starving for fuel. Thought it was something to do with the fuel pump. I took the fuel pump off and then found this brake line tubing IN the fuel line. I'm thinking it was in there from when the tubing was on my dads shelf and we made the line with it still in there and not realizing it haha. Oh well, easy fix!

[​IMG]

Put the fuel pump back on and we're in business!! She's pissed!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  25. Finally got the coupe on the road and took it to the local cruise in, everything seemed good and car seemed to be running strong!

[​IMG]

About a week or two has gone by and I had been driving the coupe and working the bugs out of it. Had the car idling and just happen to feel the drivers side exhaust blowing cold? So I started to investigate. Checked the plugs, all looked good except #5. Plug was fouled out, checked for spark and was good there. Pulled the valve cover and found this

[​IMG]

Broken push rod, not good.

Did more investigating, exhaust push rod bent and fell in the valley.

Turns out I made a rookie mistake. The front intake bolt was too long and protruded through allowing the intake push rod to be rubbing against the bolt and ended up breaking in two. Which I'm guessing made the valve lash adjustment get out of whack and that's why the exhaust push rod bent?

[​IMG]

Thought I was going to get away with replacing the push rods. I thought wrong.

Put new push rods in, drove the car for about 10 miles... cam goes flat.

Long story short, tore it all apart and that one intake bolt did more damage than I thought. When the push rods fell, that allowed the cam to smack the lifters and break them. Then putting the new push rods in made the rough broken lifters ride on the cam and grind the lobes flat.

[​IMG]

Took the main caps off no scoring or any damage to the bearings, or the cylinder walls... thank god.

Put new lifters in, cam, and push rods.

If you know Y-Blocks then you know that the lifters go in from the bottom. Well with the engine still in the car it makes it a little difficult to put the lifters in cause gravity fights you as well as the crank being in the way. So what I came up with was putting two strong tool magnet holders in the valley, then took my magnet stick, put assembly lube on a lifter and fished it through the crank and stuck up through the block and to the magnet. Then slipped the cam right in. Was not easy, and it took me about an hour to put a set of lifters in but it worked!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a pain in the ass! But that's hot ridding right??

Finally got the car buttoned up, started it, broke in the cam and everything seemed good. Oil pressure good, engine is running strong!!

STOKED!

Tim_with_a_T, brEad, 55Deso and 4 others like this.
  26. Did lots of traveling over the summer and drove it everyday to work. About 6,000 trouble free miles on the car now. Car is running stronger than ever! I am very happy with this machine.

I know all of you have been looking forward to hearing this nasty little y-block un-capped!

Out for a cruise with my buddy Patrick and his badass '29 model a roadster with a flathead. Good times.

AHotRod, Tim_with_a_T, brEad and 6 others like this.
  27. Thanks for the update /vids.
    What a great machine you guys built, it really is over the top.
    Those Y’s can be tricky and a bit more work but man, you’ve got something special there.
    Enjoy

loudbang, Blue One and NathanxStewart like this.
  28. Figured it out! Thanks Tim, and it'll run on 93 high octane but it diesels everytime I shut it off so I keep the trunk full of the Lucas Oil Octane booster bottles hahah

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  29. I bet that's fun! Y-blocks are too cool

loudbang likes this.
  30. Thank you very much! Yes they can be, but very well worth it, thanks!

mad mikey and loudbang like this.