Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I Just Bought a Hot Rod Model A Roadster That Was Built In 1959...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Lanyard

Lanyard

Mike, If you ever need any blasting and painting done, I go to a place right down the street in KC Ks. West of Biekelmeirs meat shop. It is called “Road Runners” They strip and repaint large backhoes and const. Equiptment for resale.

2. Lanyard

Lanyard

dana barlow, loudbang and cactus1 like this.
  3. Lanyard

Lanyard

No, I think I bought those hubcaps at a place in Kansas City, called Carl’s,Speed shop. He sold all kinds of used, and new.(stolen, and legitimate speed parts Back in the late 50’s and 60’s. it was on McGee street, about a block South of Hallmark Cards.

4. I already have a wrench picked out to throw in the tool kit in case anyone wants to get frisky! ;)

D79569E6-D55A-4590-A4B4-E2FCD29ED987.jpeg

Caps for sure Lanny! I like the ones it came with a lot and I also want to find some of the 4-bar type you had on it when it was white. I am super geeked on these tires!

276C2AE3-63A6-4F13-8E4F-C48C88A684B8.jpeg

Yes I know the place! I had them attempt some of the sheet metal on my Chevy when I was building it. They use pretty coarse sand since they do heavy equipment so we just ended up doing some wheels instead to be safe. Good guys though!

There is a thread somewhere on here about Carl’s. I’ll try to send you a link some time. Thanks for checking in Lanny! I hope all is well.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hoodlums is coming to mind...o_O...speedily removed and speedily sold...Brings a whole new meaning to Hotrod...:p

The difference is when I call you guys Hoodlums I mean Good Hoodlums...:D

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  6. Lanyard

Lanyard

31chevymike, cactus1 and loudbang like this.
  7. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I'll answer that question for Mike Lanny, those caps are so cool and have been on the BB since you owned her, almost a crime NOT too. Even if he happened to lose a cap from cruisin', I could bet my life he would then buy a set of the TRUE chrome reverse wheels and place a bullet cap in the center.

cactus1, Tuck and loudbang like this.
  8. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Those wheels and tires look fantastic!!!
    I think I told you this already but I had a set of those super's on The HEX when I first got it on the road with chrome reverse. Those spears on the sidewall are what make them rule!

I'm putting in a request- time to post a good side view now with the rubber on it! :)

loudbang, Woogeroo, cactus1 and 2 others like this.
  9. They are super cool! I've never seen anything like them before!

Yeah man I love these tires! So glad they still make them!

Your request is duly noted and hopefully schedule and weather permitting I can get her out for a rip this weekend (even though she's not quite legal yet. Gotta get that taken care of soon too as well!)

31chevymike, loudbang, Tuck and 2 others like this.
  10. Not a lot of progress this weekend but I did finally get the “new” lap belts installed. I’m pretty happy with them as they look like they could have been there the whole time! 2A953E6B-34D0-4E2A-ABB2-72D7AB45D1D4.jpeg

C32E7937-9DB0-4010-89E1-4B4C1EBDC4DD.jpeg

I also painted my last HAMB keychain to match until something cooler comes along...
    5113C4E5-A24E-4E00-9E91-B81E3EA5226E.jpeg

Sorry @Tuck it was too gloomy to get her outside for some pics but the weather is warming up!

11. 31chevymike

31chevymike

No one can ever doubt that you really know how to detail a period perfect hot rod Mike... You must be ECSTATIC to drive her this Spring!

Stogy, loudbang and cactus1 like this.
  12. Ha! I don't know about that but it is very kind of you to say! The thing I love about this car is that it truly answers any questions of how it was done back in the day! It has actually got me thinking about going back and changing some things on my Chevy that I did at the time not really knowing any better. (I doubt that I ever will but who knows?? :))

13. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Apparently I was about 20 pages behind on updates.... holy cow, man. Nice job! Really cool to see Lanny on here also. I love the stories and old pictures.

14. Sat down and went through this from end to end today.
    All I can say is WOW!
    What a great story. Not only have you preserved this piece of history, but Lanny's contributions just wraps it up. The vintage pictures just add to the provenance. Being the same age as Lanny, they sure bring on some nostalgic flashbacks.
    Thanks for sharing your journey.

15. Thanks guys! I feel honored to bring this old hot back into public view for all to enjoy! Lanny did a heck of a job!

Stogy, dana barlow, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  16. martyk98

martyk98
    from washington

My Olds 303 Hilborn FI unit would sure look cute on that also.

17. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

So would my 471 Olds setup... thumbnail (25).jpg

18. We are accepting any and all donations!! ;)

19. I am betting the road west of town was the old Smolan Road! We use to race out there way back in the 50's

cactus1 and 31chevymike like this.
  20. Dennis, if the stars align maybe I can get it to Salina this year for the KKOA show. We'll take it out there and shoot some fire!

Here is an un-update- I went to pull the BB out a couple weekends ago and noticed the fuel pump had decided to start leaking everywhere :confused:. So, I pulled it off and sent it to a guy in NY to see if he could fix me up.

I'm glad the weather is still kinda crummy here! Have a great weekend everyone.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Stogy, brad2v, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  21. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

no pix ! ?

loudbang likes this.
  22. Lanyard

Lanyard

We did used to go out as a group, and race on the Smolen road. We would post two guys with CB radios about two miles from the race area on each end, to warn us when the sheriff or state troopers were coming, of which happened many times. But the road I raced when was challenged while cruising Santa Fe was closer. You went West on State street road, turned North, and we would start on the bridge, and race to the C and G elevators. The black marks may still be on the bridge!

cactus1, Stogy, brad2v and 8 others like this.
  23. triumph 1

triumph 1

I just finished reading this thread from the start. Such a great car with a great history. Nice job bringing it back to life. It couldn’t have found a better home!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

cactus1, loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  24. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Is that what is called Halstead road today?

31chevymike, cactus1 and loudbang like this.
  25. YUP! That is the Halstead Rd. We used to race there also, but seem the cops were on us more there.

31chevymike and cactus1 like this.
  26. Lanyard

Lanyard

It was called C and G road, because it went North from State street road, past the C andG elevators on the West side. That was before all county roads had to have official names. I remember one Time I took the bait, and raced Gerald Seraulght, who had a hopped Up motorcycle. He “smoked” me off the line, and I gave up.

27. Lanyard

Lanyard

dana barlow and 31chevymike like this.
  28. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

29. Thanks for checking it out. I appreciate the kind words!

Lanny let's see if Gerald is up for a re-match!!

30. Lanyard

Lanyard

No, come to think, that other road you called the “Smolen” road was not the one all us guys used to have group drag races on. It was about five miles West of town, off 40 hi-Way and went South about two or three miles. I believe at that time it was called the “Burma” road. Maybe they have renamed it.