Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

I'm sure his parents will be happy he is moving away from the influences of the neighbor!! Just make sure you give him his going away present.....a sock!!!

2. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Awesome truck! Even with a "Bag'n'all" trans. That's what you need to clean up the pieces when it vomits on the ground.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  3. catdad49

catdad49

Love the truck, but I believe somebody(s) is in trouble! Make that a pair o' socks. Just noticed the side exhaust, that must sound Good.

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If that's what it's going to take to get the SEG to make a West Coast appearance I guess I better get accustomed to the taste of ass!:eek:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and Hang'emHigh like this.
  5. They'll be thrilled when they find out he's become a Sock person :rolleyes:

You have no idea how loud that is at 11pm.

Pucker up!!

6. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I know that it is super hard to believe but you have been a positive role model to this young man.

Man that has got to feel strange.
    Usually you are the "Bad Example" :)

7. Man I hope you are right - we went to the local school parking lot and did all the gears and reverse and start stop - killed the engine - started etc. So we go onto some hills and I yell "Red light!!" stop on a hill ... he's thinking ... "Green light!!" He dumps the clutch and burns the tires. We do this several times. I'm like "you got this" take me home. He comes to a stop sign on an uphill and puts it in reverse. Guns it and dumps the clutch :eek: laaaaaawwwwwssss (Jerry Clower) take me home. We both decided to take a training break for the day. o_O
    B8791FA2-3126-43F7-91A9-A015C3C6DDFD.jpeg

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Tony
    My older brother taught me to drive in his 64 Chevy p.u. 292 with compound low 4 speed.
    Takes me with him to a hill outside of town, stops, neutral, e-brake etc and says trade places with me, I didn't know whether to shit or go blind.
    Like being thrown into the pool and told to SWIM.

9. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Welcome to the fold young man, welcome to the fold... :cool:

10. catdad49

catdad49

Never learned to drive a stick because of my Dad's WW II leg injury. After college, got drafted and one of the many things I got from the experience was plenty of seat time in a Deuce and a Half (no, not a Ford). I still saw no need to buy a stick car, so my next experience was with my buddies '67 Vette roadster (I amazed him with my shifting ability one night). A few more followed, but the first learning experiences were a little unnerving for all concerned. Now go have a celebratory Ceegar!!

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

They sell Holleys on the West Coast too!!!
    Just say'n.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You don't get the weight break with the Holleys.

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm just a seat filler:rolleyes:

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Thx Tony, for posting this here for us.
    Saw the black smoke you and I talked about when you bogged so badly, bu you now have it right, thanks to the track people allowing you to do a few tuning runs afterwards. I think next race will be better and as you progress up the learning curve of tuning those injectore according to what you read from the "weather station" instruments you've acquired, it will get even better.
    Because as one of the announcers narrating that video said of your run "At least no more white smoke"! And now that you are't putting all your efforts into trying to keep oil outta the combustion process it'll be easier to get a good sharp tune.:):cool:

15. Yeah one more leaned thing on injection - last year it would do that same - wheelie, bog, take off . BUT only at SOME tracks! I was changing oily plugs so much I thought it was a misfire or an electrical issue. I even sent the injection to Gene Adams and he said nothing was wrong. Then added better ground wires, shortened the power cables to the MSD, tried 3 different distributors, changed the power switch to the MSD. One race, no bog, the next race it was back! So that was the weather causing that. It was either too rich or too lean for the air that day.

Learned - after all this - if the barrel valve is set wrong it affects the launch - but not down track. If I had a track closer I could use the wideband on it to log the A/F ratio and tune the valve. I'll just need to use the wideband on Friday test and tune at the races and check the weather on Saturday.

16. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Love my wideband!

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  17. loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  18. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

19. I'd love do something like that. My pills are in the distribution block on the Enderle. That is like Rusty has on the Banana which is a Hilborn I think.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  20. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Mines an old Isky valve. Antique shit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. southcross2631

southcross2631

Would an analog EGT be legal ?

22. I don't know - maybe keep the lines under the pipe so you can't see it.

Throwing this here so @dirty old man can see it - this weekend at AMS we'll have 12 SEG cars - no racing though :(
    AMS.jpeg

23. I've got a couple egt sensors and readouts if you want to try them

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Not going to be able to make it to AMS, got some major yard work going on this weekend and I need to be here.

chryslerfan55 and Dog_Patch like this.
  25. Thanks Josh let me see how the wide band and RPM recorder does. Jimmy Barton swears by EGT.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. southcross2631

southcross2631

As long as it is an analog gauge I don't see what would be wrong with it. I could see Quain having an issue with a digital EGT. There are some classic looking one's available that would be very helpful in tuning your ride.
    I relied on an EGT and a leak down tester to set my mechanical injection units. Never had a wide band.

Dog_Patch and enloe like this.
  27. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

Why don't you just ask Quain? You'll probably have an answer by morning.

loudbang likes this.
  28. These have a sensor you drill a small hole in the header and stick in the header with a clamp. They are digital read out but that can be under a cover outa site - typically you'd set a baseline EGT on a dyno because from what I've read each combination will have it's own temperature when things are correct. What I read is there isn't a specific temp for a specific air fuel ratio etc. But once you know the air fuel ratio is right record the temp - then that is repeatable. With a wideband instead of a dyno - you could get it right then simply record the temp and you'll know when you have that temp - you'll have it close. could be very useful