Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Why'd someone ruin this HORNE Hemi intake???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket's Hot Rod Garage, Apr 12, 2018.

1. I posted this on the HORNE thread also but wanted to expand my audience. I picked up this HORNE Chrysler intake last week at the Portland swap. I'm in search of history on why someone would've welded the tubes onto the front of the intake. I'm familiar with Horne history, that's why I bought it. Any old photos of cars with modified intakes like this? Modified for a Potvin setup maybe? I want to figure out if there's any significance to it before I haul off and fix it. Thanks all...

IMG_4698.JPG IMG_4699.JPG IMG_4700.JPG IMG_4701.JPG

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

I guess because it was what worked for him.

egads, partsdawg and Deuces like this.
  3. manyolcars

manyolcars

If you can make a proper repair, its not ruined

Okie Pete, belair and Deuces like this.
  4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Those carburetors aren't going to work too well with boost in the manifold under them. Potvins had the carbs or injectors at the blower inlet. Maybe a previous owner capped off those carb pads? Neat intake. I'd fix it and run it.

5. Agree. Blocking off the carbs is the only thing I can think of if they did indeed run a blower. Maybe blower at the track or salt and carbs for the street?

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From the looks of the welds on it, the aluminum must be a decent alloy to work with. I'd love to have that thing. I know a couple of guys who could easily make it look like new.

Here's an off the wall question. Those look like 97 bases on there, but it looks like they are spaced a ways apart. Do you think 94's would fit without interference? I had a Weiand (sp?) 4 carb manifold and it required 97's (or completely butchering some 94's).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  7. I'd like to figure out if there's any history before I ruin it by "fixing it" if that makes any sense.

Okie Pete, egads and Chappy444 like this.
  8. You know what; for some funny reason, it makes sense to me.

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yes. My Horne for Chrysler 331-354 had four 94s on it when I bought it. They fit, no grinding of the 5th screw necessary!

10. Anyone have some old photos of Cars with modified intakes like this???

11. rileyrecords25

rileyrecords25
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you going to be at the swap meet in Kennewick on the 5th? If you want to get any measurements or detailed pics of a nice original I could bring mine, I'd love to get a look at your new find as well.

12. Makes sense but,
    thinking about the practical application and logistics of switching for the weekend seem stupid.

Makes sense too.

You Running it either way again makes just as much sense as well.

13. Yes, I'll be there. I'll bring it along!

loudbang likes this.
  14. rileyrecords25

rileyrecords25
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's a few modified manifolds and being 4 carbs most would have to be pretty serious to run them. I guess the next progression would be a blower for a racer I wounder what the price difference between that and a potvin was at the time?

15. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Maybe a pair of McCullough blowers instead of a 4 or 6-71.... I actually like the idea....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Don't flatty radiators have two water inlets? That might be why he has two hose fittings?

loudbang likes this.
  17. Not coolant. Open to the intake.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. That's also a possibility. Or even some wild early turbo setup?
    [​IMG]
    IMG_4718.jpg

19. From what I've learned, Potvin didn't make an intake until the late '50's. I guess the first thing they made was the front blower adapter stuff. Horn was '55 only so maybe someone used this intake before Potvin began producing one???

loudbang likes this.
  20. You've got a point.

loudbang likes this.
  21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Sort of sad they did that but when modified rarity may of not been in the conversation .

loudbang likes this.
  22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I heard there was only 100 items in total made. Is that the truth ?

loudbang likes this.
  23. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Been in my back of my head since seeing this..... could only be used with block off plates as any type of blower would blow back though carbs..... so I’d surmise it was a project that was never used..... or it was used with block off plates

24. Yes, you're right. It dose seem like it was used some though.

loudbang likes this.
  25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It's unlikely as all the McCullough setups I have seen were blow through. This was obviously a suck through. Such as a GMC type blower.

26. Squablow

Squablow

I'm less interested in why it was done as how the hell did it work? Adding pressure to that intake would push air out of the carbs backwards, and creating a vacuum there would suck a bunch of air/fuel mixture into the supercharger/turbo setup. They're not waternecks.

Sure, I suppose with every carb base blocked off it could have worked, but then this intake never ran with those carb bases in place unless the added-on ports were blocked off. Very strange.

I see the dilemma, it's a shame not to make the intake functional again and eliminate the new ports but sure would be nice to know why it was done and how it was intended to work before that happens.

27. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

definitely would have not run carbs, it would be blocked off. then it would have probably run injection off the blower. as was stated earlier, this was probably a progression or evolution of a race car. had a wild motor with 4 carbs, then wanted a blower so instead of buying a potvin intake if it was even available, they just blocked the carbs and added a couple pipes. potvin blower was bolted to the front and off it went!

28. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Or they may have made their own chain coupler and ran a GMC blower off the crank. Several people did that in the day. And as revkev6 says, used the intake they had. Modify whats available on hand as opposed to spending money on mail order parts. Kind of a lost art.

29. This's exactly what I'm thinking also. Progression thing... started with 4 carbs then moved onto a blower or something. I just wish I could here it's story before I fix it. I'd hate to fix it and then find out there's some significance to it.

30. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

find a potvin setup and make your own story!

Jet96 likes this.