Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. with the big missle pump you may want to put oil drains in your valve covers. the stock oil returns are not big enough to do the job. they were never intended to deal with that kind of volume. a fitting in the valve cover spacer with a hose going back to the pan. I ran number 10s one on each side. with those rockers don't put a restrictor in the block to limit the flow in a attempt to fix the problem. the rockers need all that oil. the returns are the way to go.

Dog_Patch, enloe and loudbang like this.
  2. savannahDan

savannahDan

is that big hole in the bellhousing for adjusting the clutch?
    Let me know when you are ready to fire that hemi! getting close by the looks of it.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Looks to me like the big hole on the side is for throwout brg. arm. But he doies need a 1" hole in line with the separation point of flywheel and clutch disc to insert a feeler gauge to check clutch adjustment also.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  4. Yeah this Missile pump went to 125 psi just like that - the oil onto the rockers didn't look different than last season and the stands are limited by a .030 pill - this with a full groove in the cam - was working well last season. I have some time to fire it with an open valve cover and see what kind of pooling is happening. It didn't pool last year but that was a Melling M50 pump. Constantly changing target with these things.
    That's so he can get 2 wrenches in there to adjust the RAM clutch finger weights and also the base pressure screws. I had to open mine 3 times so I told him to hog it out 1 time and be done.

That hole should be on the bottom - forgot to see if that hole was in the right place ..... @3dnsouth to the red phone.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

"Keep calm and carry a sock".
    Those T-shirts are a hoot!

6. allwilly

allwilly

7. Slow progress but getting things cleaned up that have needed done. Cut 15 pounds of frame pieces and junk bracing that wasn't really doing anything. Now its time to clean up the aluminum floor and attempt to bend a easily removable trans tunnel. @allwilly was working on a bonzia weekend run down here to bend up some sheet metal but it hasn't worked out yet. Maybe it will before I make a complete mess .....

My help is going off to college at Auburn for mechanical engineer in 6 months.
    IMG_0860.JPG

So I'm working his ass off
    IMG_0862.JPG
    IMG_0864.JPG

Set the barrel valve to 12%

IMG_0865.JPG

IMG_0867.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

These seat mounts have got to go - not sure what to do here though .
    IMG_0896.JPG

IMG_0897.JPG IMG_0898 (1).JPG IMG_0901.JPG

8. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Probably about time to refill that humidor with some contraband!!!!

wesleyoldham, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  9. We can do a trade April 14th!

10. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Glad to see your helper is heading off to college!

11. Less than 1 week left until the season opener. That floor project was way more that I planned for. My buddy Shawn stopped in for 8 hours yesterday and we bent up the tunnel with a dolly. Fun stuff.

Crew chief was like "Are you kidding me?"
    IMG_0948.JPG

These things are cool!
    IMG_0954.JPG
    IMG_0955.JPG
    IMG_0957.JPG
    IMG_0962.JPG
    IMG_0963.JPG
    IMG_0964.JPG
    IMG_0966.JPG

Attached Files:

12. The complete schedule with the Atlanta dates!
    IMG_0951.JPG

13. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Tony is the hardest working racer in SEGA!. He is my hero!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. That's not what I am shooting for Rusty - I want to be like the Banana and have my stuff always work and just walk around the winners circle LOL

15. Danny G

Danny G

If I remember right ,he walked into the winners circle without 4th gear working

16. AE722B67-C267-478A-8511-8D6296B1B097.jpeg 90D8056B-9F73-4E82-AC78-F8123E9918EC.jpeg BA965BA4-31A5-483A-A1B8-07CA6510806F.jpeg 1FEC8D8B-168B-460E-85F5-0FB5F54DB6B6.jpeg E73E4F9E-5868-4112-AAEB-61B19EAC8458.jpeg 66A8150D-985F-492D-B0D8-228EB7680C23.jpeg B5D0DCD5-583F-4ED9-A018-612B1F8DE825.jpeg BF82E5E9-AE34-41F4-95C7-206B2E06581B.jpeg Man what a great weekend! Record crowd and perfect weather. Hung out with a bunch of awesome people and smoked some tires and Cuban cigars. Here’s a few random shots.

The car ran great Friday night- too great- was driving over the tires in 2nd and 3rd. Then Saturday it stumbled on every launch and then after the show was over they let me use the track to troubleshoot. After leaning the barrel valve and doing a test hit several times it stopped stumbling. So now I know what the bog is caused by. Wish I knew this before bogging 3 runs. I’m ordering a weather meter and taking notes

17. wvenfield

wvenfield

I saw a bunch of pics. I've never attended and I've only seen random pics but there appeared to be a few new cars this year.

18. loudbang

loudbang

Sounds like a hell of a great day. :p

19. There’s a bunch and then old ones painted so it’s hard for me to keep track

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

I wondered what was wrong with it on Saturday. At least it didn't smoke.
    Glad you found the issue.

21. Yeah stack injection on gas - like answering the phone when your ex calls - never now what you're gonna get.
    I hate it for Higgy - he broke right after arriving at the track - didn't say anything because he's probably still in a padded cell - @Fiddle Picker had a trans blow up so he didn't get to run at all and he was not happy. @seadog got this awesome shot.

We thought the parking was screwed up when they said "you need to return to the pits by way of the stands" we were thinking what? That'll be a mess ....
    opener.jpg

22. southcross2631

southcross2631

Stack injection on gas requires for you to stay on top of humidity and temp changes.
    We always kept a thermometer, barometer and altimeter to tune our stack injected gasoline fueled altered. We watched changes over 5%.
    Alky fueled stack injection is easy in comparison.

23. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

I'm all good my man! Working on getting the H-Bomb ready for Clay City!! Hopefully not as bad as we thought . We are making changes though . The aluminum shavings we were seeing, were a couple Rocker arms rubbing the valve springs. So I was happy to see that. Could have probably pulled off a Turner thrash at the track to run on Saturday but wouldn't have been 100% . Better safe than sorry ( most of the time)!!

24. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks for sharing these Tony. Hope to make at least one race this season.

Dog_Patch, loudbang and dirty old man like this.
  25. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

We did Steel in Motion last year. We drove 18 hours total and I don't think our mouths were quiet once during the whole trip! Had a great time, met some great people, ate some great food and experienced some true southern hospitality! Hats off to the SEG!

Was that enough butt-kissing to get you guys to come to New England? Maybe a box of stogies?

26. If ya'll would get it to stop snowing before July some year - might help. :D

27. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Been here my whole life (and I'm not young) and I've never seen snow in April. Till this year, lol. Home track hasn't got an event in yet! I'm retiring down south. Well at least in the winter months! :)

chryslerfan55 and Dog_Patch like this.
  28. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Snowbird:)

chryslerfan55, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  29. Had to :D

northbound.JPG

So maybe I shouldn't have been a party to this - he asked if I would go look at a truck with him. Said it was a stick and he can't drive a stick so can we bring the trailer. We got home at 11pm and he tried for 15 minutes to get up my driveway - the neighbors lights all started coming on so I drove it.

I will admit its hard to find 1st gear. He's got his work cut out learning to drive on this thing. Its a Saginaw - the guy said - the reverse is where 1st should be. The stick is real noodly - hope we can tighten it up. Pretty solid and fixed up truck otherwise.

Wait till his parents find out LOL

IMG_1060.JPG IMG_1063.JPG IMG_1066.JPG