Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical exhaust music opinion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Apr 15, 2018.

1. atch

atch

Clarence will be partially disassembled this year. While this is happening the ram horn manifolds will be replaced with block hugger headers. I'll reuse most of the exhaust piping, which is 2 1/2". I want to replace the mufflers while I'm at it. The no-name mufflers that are on it now were supposed to be deep and throaty sounding. Not so. The exhaust sound is just fine at idle, but up the revs any at all and it sounds tinny or shrill. What mufflers do you guys/gals like (that you are using or are actually familiar with) that sounds good up through the rpm ranges?

I've had glass packs on it before that sounded ok but they burned out quickly and then sounded like crap.

If the consensus it glass packs what brand will last a long time and keep the good sound?

b-t-w; 350 sbc

2. 54EARL

54EARL
    from Idaho
    1. A-D Truckers

I use steelpacks.

PunkAssGearhead88 likes this.
  3. manyolcars

manyolcars

I've run straight pipes on my avatar for 21 years, my 59 Ford for 17 years, and my 39 Ford for 17 years. Nothing makes music like straight pipes on a Y Block
    My Y Block had a sharp sound that I didnt want so I made some 'can opener' type baffles and put them in the ends of the pipes for a softer sound

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    PunkAssGearhead88 and Texas Webb like this.
  4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have used Flowtech Afterburners with a crossover that sounded good to me.

5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I like the 40 series Flowmasters, nice sound without being too loud!

6. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

What exhaust company was it that used baffle plates? I didn't use them but I think that the sound
    and exhaust flow changed with the adding and removing of the baffles.

7. lowrd

lowrd

Was'nt it super trap or something similar.

VANDENPLAS, flatheadpete and quick85 like this.
  8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

You could always install some resonators to reduce shrillness. I've always liked 2 1/2" turbo mufflers, turbo's are a bit less obnoxious vs glass packs (or steel packs), but flow very well, so they don't cost a lot of power. I have a set of turbo mufflers on my 47 coupe w/ sbc, and they are nice and mellow, until you put your foot in it. Walker is a good brand. For glass packs Porter is a good brand, as are Smithys . I'd avoid the Cherry Bomb and other cheap brands, unless you really want to annoy the neighbors.

pitman, Elcohaulic and slowmotion like this.
  9. slowmotion

slowmotion

The original turbo muffler, Walker #21348 (# now extinct)was 2 1/2" in & out. It was the (turbo)Corvair replacement muffler, & the muffler that started all the hubbub about turbo mufflers. I've used several sets over the years, still have one original set on an OT. I believe Walker still offers it in their DynoMax line under a different #. Deep, smooth tone until you romp on it. None of that glass-pack rappity-rap. Highly recommended. :D

pitman, saltflats and Blues4U like this.
  10. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

"Supertrapp", that was it. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  11. Gman0046

Gman0046

My 56 Belair 2 door post car has a warmed over 327 with fender well headers, an "H" pipe, Flowmaster 40's with tail pipes out the back and the best exhaust sound I know of. The 63 Impala in my avatar has block hugger headers with Flowmaster 40's and exits in the stock location just behind the rear wheels and sounds great as well. I believe an "H" pipe makes big difference.
    The problem with mufflers is you never know how they will sound until you install them.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Hnstray likes this.
  12. I had Summit Brand glass packs on the Pusher. 28" long as I recall. I ran them for 80K and I think it sounded OK. Would have sounded better if I ran full length exhaust instead of the sneaker pipes.

Anyway you heard the Pusher you can decide from that I suppose.

13. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Yes.... Super 40's with H pipe sound very nice.

Dick Stevens likes this.
  14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I use Powerstick mufflers on my '50 Ford with a warm 302. Not too loud at idle or cruising but they make some noise on accel...

15. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2 cheap $27 Thrush Flow Master knockoffs on my close to the ragged edge 65 V8 Corvair

Poh, Stogy, 30tudor and 1 other person like this.
  16. I'd say long Brockman steelpacked mufflers. Won't burn out and will sound killer.

17. X2 on the Brockman steelpacks. They sound really good on my flathead, without being obnoxious.

18. Brockman Mellowtones yet again. Steelpacks not glass, he does both in various lengths and diameter.
    Many many years many many miles.

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

If you want a traditional sounding car, forget about the Flowmaster and other chambered type mufflers, they may flow well, but they do NOT have a traditional hot rod sound. Especially when you add an H or X pipe. That is an 80's exhaust sound. IMO there is a aural dissonance when you see a traditional looking car or hot rod, and it has an 80's exhaust tone.

LowKat and hrm2k like this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Smithy's, 2 1/4" pipes, no cross over, reds headers, flathead.

Hnstray, flatheadpete and hrm2k like this.
  21. I am a fan of the really deep rumble tone like hrm2k's aboveHowever the sound the majority of hot rods and factory muscle cars nowadays is a high flat, tinny sound. Sounds to me like a Rice Burner wearing a fur muff. Don't know whose product they use but not a good sound.

firstinsteele likes this.
  22. woodpecker exhaust (that what a friend of mine calls them)
    thrush.jpg

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  23. I can’t believe I read the name supertrapp on the HAMB !!!

My 81 Camaro called, it wants my mullet and supertramp cassette back !!!!!

Supertrapps. The tunable exhaust !!!! Lol

bchrismer, XXL__ and Blues4U like this.
  24. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

25. I think part of that is do to the 'X" or crossover pipes. Not as distinctive as one without the x.

Ben

26. X2

27. XXL__

XXL__

tumblr_inline_nxiwduRffz1qez7zz_500.jpg

28. atch

atch

48 Ford panel truck in my avatar

29. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

X2

30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Go see the guys at pro muffler in Fulton.
    Good guys and do good work.
    You can even give them my name. :)