Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lions Dragstrip - 1960

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jul 6, 2016.

1. LBCD

LBCD

Tell me more about this Museum...where is it exactly? And is it by appointment only? Thanks and congrats on them using all your old footage! So Cool!

2. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

How I missed this great thread is beyond me. The coupe at 6:45 sure looks familiar. Maybe before Les Hawkins own it. The 15 OZ coupe

3. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Mark,

That white 34 coupe is from the Drifters Car Club of the South Bay area of So Cal. There has been much said about this coupe here on the HAMB. (and elsewhere)

Jnaki
    I recorded this film clip in late 1959 or early 1960. My film date order was messed up when I first got the digital recordings back from the shop. Hey, it was the teenage years, we were lucky to get some kind of date on that recording from memory.

Mark Hinds, HEMI32, lbcd and 2 others like this.
  4. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-7-5_4-6-25.png 62417
    upload_2017-7-5_4-6-59.png 62417
    Hey LBCD,

This Lions Dragstrip museum is a new wing of the Price Transfer Automobila Museum. (It is located at 2790 E. Del Amo Blvd. in compton, CA. 90221 Pricetransfer.com) Eventhough it is listed as Compton, we old guys know it as “northwest” Long Beach because of the proximity to our stomping grounds to the south and east. Bixby Knolls is just on the other side of the Long Beach Freeway.

The old Lions Dragstrip was to the south and west. These streets were totally empty back in the early days. The buildings were non existent until the Long Beach/Los Angeles Harbor exploded with products from overseas. Lions, when closed, was used as a depot for cars off of the boats and for shipping containers, for a while.
    upload_2017-7-5_4-8-50.png

The Lions Dragstrip museum is located on the grounds of the huge Price Transfer Shipping Complex. It is privately owned and closed to the general public unless there is a big time event going on there. Most of the events are car club/charity functions. The Early Times Car Club and the Mercifuls had their events on the grounds of the Automobilia wing. So far, those events are the only times this museum is open to the public. Otherwise, they are reconstructing more old cars and the rest of the museum is closed on a daily basis.

Jnaki

When the Lions Museum was in its infancy, I was able to give them my films and some ideas. It fit into what they were trying to do to showcase early Lions up to the final closing days in 1972. It was an honor to have my films showing early Lions. A lot of those racers and cars were at the event on June 24.

The Price Transfer team spent a lot of time recreating what they thought the Lions Museum should look like and they are still adding more stuff. (Cars, murals, photos, memorabilia, etc.)

It is not too far away from Lakewood…because of some heavy traffic on the 405, I used the Carson St exit off of the 605, to Cherry Ave, then to Del Amo. Back in June, I posted this information on the “What Did You See Today” thread:

Hello,

Friday, I was invited to attend a preview of a car museum opening in Long Beach. So, a 120 mile round trip through Lakewood, (the 405 freeway was littered with CHP Explorer SUVs slowing down every one both ways…) down the same Long Beach streets that we used to cruise in 1960-66, and seeing my old local junior college, did wonders for my memory banks.

But, as I got closer to the main cruising grounds in Bixby Knolls, I had to see the old Cherry Avenue drags location again. The two cemeteries on both sides were still functioning…In the daytime, it looks normal, but it was eerie back then, late at night.

upload_2017-7-5_4-11-9.png upload_2017-7-5_4-11-23.png LBCC on Carson St.
    LB/Lakewood stomping grounds...
    upload_2017-7-5_4-14-11.png upload_2017-7-5_4-14-25.png upload_2017-7-5_4-14-47.png upload_2017-7-5_4-15-5.png
    For a prospective: A quarter mile measured street location with a ½ mile shut off area before any cross streets…
    I could not help myself to just try out that old feeling again. It did not matter what car you were in, 53 years of old-time memories came flooding through instantly. That old feeling just did not go away. So, a mild run down the street instantly brought back those dark, late Friday night, high school drag races on this lonely road…(it was not lonely except during this photo shoot. During the day, timing is everything…)

Jnaki
    Afterwards? The shut down? Perfect, The surrounding looks for the CHP or “local LEOs?” Perfect, The easy, peaceful feeling driving away from this location…Fantastic! Actually, it was just catching up to a few cars. No local laws were broken, no speeding other than a normal acceleration. We can’t drive 55…in my mind… We are all law abiding citizens these days. But, it was the location, the empty road, two cemeteries, and the “ka-ching” in the memory banks; that flooded the good, old brain cells once again. That may be the last time ever, so it was good.

Jalopy Joker and lbcd like this.
  5. LBCD

LBCD

Gnaki...thanks for the info! I will have to talk to Jack Petitt from the Mercifuls as he lives around the block and see if they are having anything there soon. This is Jacks Poncho...
    JacksPoncho2.jpg
    My daughter is dating John's Oro's son, also a Merciful and President of the C10 Club....I hope to visit this place someday. I know my way around north Long Beach well as I grew up there from 75-80 then moved to Lakewood next to Del Valle park.. aka Airplane park.

We used to go to Bixby Knolls for the Dragster shows on Atlantic. bixby knolls 1.jpg bixby-car-show.jpg lions3.jpg twin bear.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  6. jnaki

jnaki

Hey LBCD,
    That 57 Pontiac is really cool. The Mercifuls had a You Tube video along with a Blacktop Magazine article when they visited the Price Automobilia Museum. Yes, for now, only something like that tour would be open to the public. The Early Times had a show there and the whole museum was open to the public. So, I suppose that looking at the So Cal Culture site for up and coming events at the Price Automobilia Museum would be the only way to go see it in person.

Jnaki
    (CHECK YOUR PM MESSAGES)
    We probably bumped into each other at those Bixby Knolls Cacklefests... a while back.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    lbcd likes this.
  7. old man hal

old man hal

I think Lions was built in 1955. I grew up in a neighborhood called Lincoln Village which was right across 223rd St. from Lions. I was 12 years old and we would ride our bikes over there while they were building the strip. As soon as the strip was paved, we raced our bikes down the strip. Also when Lions first opened, there was a go-kart track there but it didn't last very long.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

Hey OMH,
    If you were still in that house, a month ago, you would have heard the giant cackle fest going on just a mile or two away at the Price Transfer Complex yard. That yard was facing the south, headed right in your old house direction. It was loud and lasted for a long time.

Jnaki
    Price Automobilia Museum with the new Lions Wing is at Del Amo and Santa Fe. CLOSED, UNTIL A CHARITY EVENT HAPPENS OR A CAR CLUB EVENT IS IN THE WORKS. CHECK OUT THE SO CAL CALENDAR.

9. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

I was on GOOGLE maps looking for the Price Transfer site and look what I found, guess it's the right place.
    Price Transfer.JPG

Ron Funkhouser and jnaki like this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

Hey 31,
    Nice catch on google. That photo is listed as taken in October 2016. Cool hot rods, trucks, race cars and paraphernalia always comes and goes into that museum portion of the whole industrial complex. It is a place to visit when it is open for some event. It is always advisable to check the So Cal car events calendar to see if any club is having an outing or show there.

Jnaki
    Driving by at anytime of the day, big trucks and shipping containers are the main source of activity. But inside is a wonder, now, including a Lions Dragstrip Museum wing.
    upload_2017-7-17_8-19-17.png
    Historic 1958-60 Lions movies playing on a super large TV screen. upload_2017-7-17_8-25-38.png
    Around the corner from the Lions Dragstrip Museum, there is a working 50's diner at the end of the long display of hot rods.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  11. old man hal

old man hal

Jnaki, back in the day you could hear the cackle from the AA fuelers Saturday nights and Sundays from my house.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

jnaki likes this.
  12. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Thanks for the info guys ....... maybe mention it to those concerned to arrange openings around major Bakersfield events because they are becoming more international lately and I'm always looking for something to do before flying home on the Monday night.

13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-7-18_5-44-4.png Hello,

One of our favorite race cars during our time at Lions Dragstrip was the Sidewinder of Paul Nicolini and Joe Maillard. Maillard’s shop was a few blocks from our house in Long Beach and we saw it there several times. I was able to film the car from 1959 until 1960, all at Lions Dragstrip.

The Sidewinder was one of the fastest and won a lot of local events during this time. The Sidewinder vs Mickey Brown Olds powered FED match ups were epic at Lions. Each held speed records at the local So Cal tracks.

Since my old 16mm film camera was a silent point and shoot, there was no sound. Although, the sound is still in my mind every time I watch the digital films. But, I was recently able to add the original sound of the Sidewinder from 1959 to my silent films. After a bunch of edits, it looked like the real day(s) at Lions, all of those years ago. The films were taken at Lions in So Cal. Here is the edited edition of the total Sidewinder sound and action from 1959-60.

Jnaki

Also, at the recent June 24th Lions Dragstrip Museum Cackle Event, the Sidewinder made an appearance. It looked as good as back when Joe Maillard was pushing the race car back in the Lions staging area, with his ever present cigarette. It also sounded as powerful as it was back then. Jack Gillett now campaigns the Sidewinder at most of these reunion/cackle events. The build is immaculate. Look for the Gillett Sidewinder at the Barona drags Nitro Revival, in September.

Ron Funkhouser and elgringo71 like this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-7-24_5-31-42.png upload_2017-7-24_5-31-56.png
    Hello,

Back in 1959-60, the H&H Garage Special was one of the fastest MEL powered racers. Driver, Tets Ishimaru, did all of the wrenching and driving. The H&H group was a regular at Lions Dragstrip weekly and always put on a great show. The bright purple FED always made impressive runs at the Lions Dragstrip and Riverside Raceway, that we saw.

The race car had a big Lincoln motor and it was very competitive against the big supercharged Hemi motor racers. The roll bar was always so close to his helmet, that we all commented that it would not be much fun on a roll over. But, it was always driven fast and efficiently.
    upload_2017-7-24_5-32-41.png
    He not only drove this cool looking dragster weekly at Lions and other So Cal Dragstrips, but he was also a drag boat racer with drives in many different boats. In the copied news photo, it shows him driving a twin 671, blown Hemi, hydro hull, drag boat (ANIMAL) at the Long Beach Marine Stadium race course...that marine stadium is still around, today.
    upload_2017-7-24_5-33-37.png
    Jnaki

For all of you MEL fans, here is a great video of the dragster sponsored by H&H Garage. Surprise at :21

Real H&H Garage MEL FED original sound recorded in 1959.

But, sometimes, things happen…

Riverside Raceway 1959

15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-9-4_5-54-57.png upload_2017-9-4_5-55-7.png
    upload_2017-9-4_5-55-50.png upload_2017-9-4_5-56-16.png
    upload_2017-9-4_5-57-25.png upload_2017-9-4_5-57-36.png

Hello,

Back in the early years of filming the drag race cars and actually living at Lions Dragstrip from 58-60 every weekend, made me store a bunch of memories. First, it was the sight of the dragstrip, the activity, and the noise. But, most of the time, it was the race cars that stood out for their innovation and styling. The original Sidewinder from Paul Nicolini and Joe Maillard of Long Beach was one of the first sideways mounted, rear engine/behind the driver, race cars to appear at Lions in the late 50’s.
    upload_2017-9-4_6-0-2.png 1960
    upload_2017-9-4_6-0-24.png 2017
    When all of the other racers were FEDs, this one stood out from all of the rest.. It was “doing its own thing…” then another one popped up with a similar idea of a rear engine sidewinder race car.
    upload_2017-9-4_6-1-7.png
    upload_2017-9-4_6-15-14.png upload_2017-9-4_6-15-24.png
    upload_2017-9-4_6-15-40.png 1960 Lions
    The Stu’s AE Transmission Shop “mini sidewinder” was also from Long Beach, CA. Most of the local hot rodders went to Stu’s for their transmission woes. His version of the sidewinder was one of the only ones with an automatic transmission. "The SBC ran a 4 speed hydro sliced in the middle of its case, with a fabricated case aft of the slice for adapting the chain driven output shaft. Interestingly, it accepts a complete stock hydro pan. A larger gear attached to the rear wheel completes the complicated drive system."

Jnaki
    This different take on a sidewinder was unusual to say the least. We did not see it later on at the drags. Many contacts later, no more information came from the present day Stu's Transmission Shop. Is it still stored somewhere under wraps?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  16. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

A good friend (Bob Williams) worked at stu's but left and opened clutch and gear with a friend (Jerry) in Bellflower Bob is now under the weather

17. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We lived about three blocks from Mickey Thompson’s Shop on the Westside of Long Beach in 1960. We knew the shop manager because we used to go to that shop to get our weekly Drag News and see what was happening over there. There was always something new going on all of the time. New parts, hot rod talk, build ideas, were all topics of conversation in the “stand around” shop visits.

From 58-60, they also knew us from driving the 58 Chevy Impala at Lions Dragstrip. They had seen it racing and winning trophies at Lions in the A/Stock class. But, by 1960-61, we had a Racer Brown Cam, 4:56 gears and a new C&O Stick Hydro in the Impala. They were impressed that we used that Impala for a tow vehicle for our 40 Willys Coupe in 1960. We were backyard hot rodders, they were the pros. But, they still liked our set up in the Impala.

When we had the 40 Willys in the carburetor SBC version (initial build in early 1960) they liked the set up we had built. Plus, it was instant recognition that the black 58 Chevy Impala was the tow car and always lined up behind the Willys when it was ready to race at Lions on the starting line.

So, after many runs a Lions with the carburetor SBC version and then the 671 larger SBC rebuild, they were totally impressed with our attempt to win in the C/Gas coupe class. We had driven the Willys over to the shop a couple of times and also towed it over when we got the 671 set up later with the 58 Impala.

Several months after our accident with our 40 Willys at Lions, my brother and I got a call from the shop manager at Mickey Thompson’s Shop in Long Beach. He had a proposal for us. How would we like to have a 671 blown Pontiac Motor installed in our 58 Impala? It would be an easy install as the motor would hook up to the C&O transmission easily and they would do all of the conversion work. They would have two 4 barrels in place of the Hilborn Two Port Injectors.

Since this Impala was our daily driver, it had to be reliable on the street. We were sure they could have figured out how to make the Hilborn Two Port unit work for the street, but dual quads would be easier to adjust. Why??? They wanted to experiment with the Pontiac Motor on the street and the drags. The idea was to show everyone that these motors were reliable in all sorts of race cars and street cars. The shop had a multitude of race cars for all types of racing, from drag racing, to Bonneville speed runs, and to Indy cars. This was going to be a one of a kind racer/street cruiser/daily driver to school and work.
    upload_2017-9-21_4-43-28.png 671 Pontiac motor
    This is what Mickey Thompson’s Shop in Long Beach wanted to put in our 58 Impala for the Gas Coupe and Sedan class, but use it as a daily driver, school, work, race on the weekends, etc. Would it have worked?
    upload_2017-9-21_4-45-27.png A Street sleeper? Not with this set up showing.

Jnaki

Well, that scenario did not work out as my brother said, “No, that 58 Impala was going to be a race car built to drive on the street. It was not going to be a reliable daily driver.” He needed it for going to the doctor and rehab, my mom needed it once a week for shopping, I was the daily driver of the 58 Impala, and thought that set up would have been wonderful…But, it remained as is without that huge motor sticking out of the engine compartment. I, instantly, could see my mom driving that motor set up to the shopping mall or to buy groceries. What a sight that would be…!

ASIDE: Within a year, more of these “hybrids” started showing up at the So Cal dragstrips in the Gas Coupe and Sedan classes. Stock bodied Pontiac, Chevy, Ford cars with huge motors sticking out of the engine compartment. The weight vs horsepower, an interesting combination...for sure. Streetable?
    That remained to be seen, but we were grateful to the Mickey Thompson Shop for offering that choice of builds for our 58 Impala.

The “what if” scenarios were abundant for many years and were the topic of family discussions annually. The hot topic would have certainly been… cruising around our famous Bixby Knolls drive in parking lot and local Cherry Avenue Drags. What an impression that would have been back then. Our 1940 Willys 671/SBC already made a hit at the drive in, now a year later, this would have pushed the limits through the roof.

18. elgringo71

elgringo71

Great story, It was very cool that they called you and offered to do it. That's a great story.

Ron Funkhouser and jnaki like this.
  19. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Jason,
    Thanks, it was one for the books. But, they (Mickey Thompson's shop) must have seen something going on in the Gas Coupes and Sedan classes. It was their experiment and our car. At the local drags(not just Lions), these huge sedans with bigger motors started showing up regularly. Some big station wagons, 2 door/4 door sedans, etc. It was becoming a popular thing.

There were still the Willys coupes and sedans, but these stock bodied USA cars were catching on for a lot of the racers. So, back in late 1960, Mickey Thompson's Shop must have had an inkling about the popularity of the Gas Coupe and Sedan class and where it was heading.

Junji
    Perhaps a forerunner of the FX stock bodied race car classes?

20. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

The best seat in the house was not a seat. With more people attending the drags at Lions in 1960, seats on either the tower bleachers (full) or the spectator’s side bleachers (full) made for unusual circumstances in getting the best viewing of the drag racers. Creighton Hunter, Hill, Acala red roadster vs Herman Bros. blue roadster. Modified roadster class eliminations.

upload_2017-10-15_4-7-45.png
    The tower side, “towers.” “Hang on Sloopy, Sloopy hang on …”
    (creativity in action.)

Jnaki

upload_2017-10-15_4-10-8.png
    Up close and personal, no more than 5 feet away...
    upload_2017-10-15_4-11-46.png 5 ft. equals LOUD...

"Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!
    Cars and girls are easy come by in this day and age,
    Laughing, joking, drinking, smoking,
    Till I've spent my wage.
    When I was young people spoke of immorality,
    All the things they said were wrong,
    Are what I want to be.
    (Hey)
    Over under sideways down,
    (Hey)
    Backwards forwards square and round.
    (Hey)
    Over under sideways down,
    (Hey)"

The Yardbirds

21. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-12-7_3-59-16.png upload_2017-12-7_3-59-51.png
    Bader/Ferreira Crossley at So Cal dragstrips 1959-60

Bader and Ferreira Crossley Altered record setter. At Lions dragstrip 1960
    upload_2017-12-7_3-57-18.png

Hello,

The Bader/Ferreira Cad powered Altered Crossley was tearing up the So Cal dragstrips during the 1959-60 era. It was unusual because of being a Cadillac motor powered instead of a SBC or Hemi. Our favorite race was the one we filmed of the Crossley vs the Reath Automotive Dosser/Sundin white Ford sedan in the Altered Classes at Lions. Even though it was one race, they raced each other in the very competitive Altered class. It was like watching a match race, almost weekly.
    Jnaki

upload_2017-12-7_4-3-32.png

Bader and Ferreira Crossley VS. Reath Automotive Dosser/Sundin Ford

22. Does anyone have any photos of Gas Ronda or Les Ritchey from 1960-1961?

23. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-12-8_4-41-26.png
    Hello,

Here is a photo I took at the Price Transfer Lions Dragstrip Museum opening event in June of 2017. The Mustang on the right is the Les Ritchey 60’s version for 2017. I was more interested in the Willys sedan next to it until later in the evening. Also, I was waiting in line to talk to the author of the newest book on the Lions Dragstrip History.

As I was talking to the author of the “So Cal Thunder” book on Lions at his display right in front of the Willys and Mustang, the whole event was coming to a close. People and cars were moving back to the parking lots for their trailers or tow cars. We were having a normal conversation about the author being in the stands in 1960 to witness our 40 Willys exploding and catching on fire, right in front of where he was sitting.

That was chilling enough listening to him describe what he saw. All of a sudden, this super loud exhaust comes rumbling throughout the whole warehouse display area. The Les Ritchey injected Ford Mustang fired up inside and drove to the ramp for the parking lot. The Mustang was as loud as the cackle fest race cars that just concluded in the parking lot, by itself.

Jnaki

With our conversation about his book being over, I went looking for the Mustang. It was not hard to follow, just follow the loud idling of the powerful motor.
    upload_2017-12-8_4-43-7.png
    I finally caught up with the Mustang, just as it was leaving the Price Transfer Lions Musuem parking lot for his trailer. (Mel Burns Ford was the biggest Ford dealer in Long Beach) I was like a little bird following the specks of the loud rumbling from the Ford.
    upload_2017-12-8_5-17-24.png photo WDIFL
    It says A/FX, but it could have been a forerunner of the new builds for the Gas Coupes and Sedans class.

upload_2017-12-8_4-44-37.png
    2055 Long Beach Blvd, right in the middle of the first,
    “Avenue of the Cars” in Long Beach.

AHotRod, catdad49 and elgringo71 like this.
  24. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-4-15_3-48-34.png "Lions starting line at night."
    Hello,

Ever try to remember what it was like in a pivotal moment in your teenage life? Having recently driven by the old neighborhood in Long Beach and that lonely cluttered field that was once Lions Dragstrip made me feel a little nostalgic. I was researching 1960 Lions Dragstrip photo/moments online. Many of the Drag News Paper stories are sometimes, a great description of what went on during any week at the drags. Whether it is/was in Texas, the East Coast, the Midwest, PNW, or just 1.5 miles away from your house in Long Beach.

The air was chilly with a slight mist from the ocean swirling around. The lights of the Lions Dragstrip lit up like a carnival. The activity in the staging lanes between each race was a little overwhelming. Competitors eyeing each other, nervous as to the next race, making last minute adjustments, the noise of the crowds excited to see the final races of the evening, all worked that period of time. It was one exciting moment.

We (Atts Ono, my brother and I) checked and double checked everything. The Moon hand gas pump went into action for the last time. My brother was ready. We were excited and ready. He started the 671 SBC in the Willys and it sounded ready for battle. The 671 whine, very loud exhaust, the general rumbling when creeping towards the starting line all played their part. When the opponent started his motor, it sounded powerful and loud, too. This is 1960 staging at the Lions starting line. A very tense moment to say the least.

upload_2018-4-15_3-51-16.png
    Remembering that moment when I saw our 671 SBC 40 Willys with my brother driving, take off in such a quick reaction at the start. I thought this was going to be a record breaker. Atts Ono and I both looked at each other with smiles on our faces. This race is on. The other guy did not know why he was two cars behind so fast.

Just before the lights, we saw a fireball go under the car and in quick succession, a flame coming out of the passenger window. What??? The window was rolled up at the start. In a frozen moment, everyone did not know what was happening. They/we were transfixed on the flaming site, still going to the finish line. Finally, we jumped in the 58 Impala tow car and zipped across the starting line, and down the track. We skidded to a halt at the now burning 40 Willys stuck in the spectator’s side fence.

Jnaki

There were a ton of people in both sides of the spectator and tower side stands. Whether the drag race fans, packing the stands, were there to watch us race is debatable. Also in the staging area was the FED of the Albertson Olds, Ronnie Scrima, Gene Adams’ record setting, FED racer, with Leonard Harris driving, going for 13 Top Eliminator wins in a row. It was an early 9:00 P.M. moment.

Memories last for a long time...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Chucky and catdad49 like this.
  25. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I have received phone calls from many younger guy's asking me what state Lions Drag Strip was located in!!!
    This is when I realize that the world I knew is changing just a little every single day.

Jimbo

jnaki likes this.
  26. I thought everyone knew it was in Florida.

jnaki likes this.
  27. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah! It was on the beach.... :):rolleyes:

28. jnaki

jnaki

Hey C,
    There was once a Lion Country in Florida around the same time period. (as well as in Irvine, CA.) The Florida one is still going strong, but the Lion Country and Lions Dragstrip in So Cal are both gone, except for memories, photos, and movies. (progress, pollution, condominiums and an increase in overseas shipping containers.)

Jnaki
    It was either be eaten by the lions in Irvine or be eliminated by the Lions racers, sooner or later, in Long Beach. Ha! Memories... of the good old days.

It was about 8 miles away...to the nearest beach. But, the sandy bottom LA River was only a mile away...water, sand, plants, wildlife, etc... It was a "resort playland" near all of our houses in Long Beach.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    AHotRod likes this.
  29. Junji,
    I have been wondering about this for months. I remember a day at Lions watching from the tower side of the track, when a car near the end of the strip shot a big fireball up into the air. I sort of remembered it being a sedan, but that was nearly 60 years ago and my memory ain't that great. I am just wondering if I actually saw your car go up in flames. We never heard anything about the driver. Maybe a different car, guess we'll never know.
    Chuck

30. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I thought it was in Florida !!!! Ha Ha
    Jimbo

Lions Drag Strip AHRA 1968 Nationals.jpg Lions Drag Strip drive the highways race at lions..jpg Lion's Drag Strip lion holding dragster distress aged look.jpg