Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Any photos of House of Hardtops Portland, OR?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oilguy, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Oilguy

Oilguy

A friend gave this frame to me and I would like to find a photo of the car lot that I can download and put in the frame. I kind of remember the business but have not been able to find any photos. I was able to clean it up a bit; not too bad of condition. DSC08027.JPG DSC08028.JPG

2. rudestude

rudestude

That was one of my favorite lots to go too.....for Portland then in Longview WA. They had U-neak Motors.....Oregon Classics in Beaverton Oregon had some nice cars also.... I found this ad in a 73 Portland Roadster Show Program I will see if I have any of the actual lot..... The plates I got years back I worked at a shop that was across the street from the lot in Longview...[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2023
    41 GMC K-18, loudbang and catdad49 like this.
  3. Oilguy

Oilguy

4. Oilguy

Oilguy

Very interesting. I live near Longview and have for about 30 years. I do not remember U-neak but it may have been before my time in the area. I appreciate the feedback. Now I am really curious about the history of the business. I will download your photo and see if I have the skills to work with it. Neat Mustang. Looks like it had an Ireland motor judging by the lettering on the fender. Thanks again rude.

41 GMC K-18 and rudestude like this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't have to look where you were talking about when I saw that. Back years ago their adds read like car show programs. Every time I got my hands on a Portland paper I'd look for their add. A couple of the "Older" guys here locally drove cars that sported that license frame too. It was pretty common for guys from around here to make the trip down there to look for a car then as they all had the good stuff.

41 GMC K-18 and Oilguy like this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yeh, in the early 70's when I was in high school my pal and I would check out HOH and Tindles, just a couple of dreamers but that was the high bar, there was also a place on Powell blvd. called Northwest Super Stock that had an inventory that was more within our reach, never did buy anything from any of them, but dreaming was free.
    Some time later another high schoolmate went to work at HOH and I lost track of him, years after that I found out he had owned it, I think it's under new ownership now.

302GMC and Oilguy like this.
  7. rudestude

rudestude

U-neak was down on Commerce Ave...you had to of cruzed Commerce if you lived within 100 miles of Longview that was the spot with Drags out on Industrial Way...U-neak was on the corner between A&W and Bud Clary's Chevrolet Jim Westrick owned it...the house of hardtop guys did a lot of advertising but I haven't found any that actually show the business... mostly in car show programs and Portland Speedway programs..it appears that the partners would go on there own occasionally by these other ads that I found.....good luck on your search...if you find anything please post it ..you got the memories all stirred up..all good... I would like to continue the ride.... Thanks
    Terry (aka Rudestude)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. verde742

verde742

Before Jim Westrick owned U-Neak Motors in Longview , the late Ray Bechill and I OWNED IT and the name was Originated by my ex-wife.

We started the lot on Washington Way next to where Dominoes Pizza is today.
    We had a fenced, lot full of U-Neak cars, hence the name.
    Those where the really good "days"

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I worked for Mike when I was a kid as a lot boy. Great man! Ill buy that plate frame if it is for sale.
    There is a new business by a similar name in Portland, no where near the same lot and no where near the same owner. Mike now sells vettes at the Chevy Store on Stark street. http://www.thechevystore.com/

Oilguy likes this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Billy
    Did I read that HOH is now run by Mark Young.
    BTW, you must know Ferd.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Those Westrick fellas know a thing or two about hot rods.
    Marks orange deuce roadster was quite an inspiration for my car.

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He bought the name when it became available. I think it is now House of Hardtops NW. I have nothing nice to say about him so I will say nothing.

Mike is the real deal and I am proud to say, my friend. That goes for Kibby too. Respect is earned, anyone can buy a name.

13. I sold my 64 'vette to some guy in Portland and it ended up on the House of Hardtop's lot. I went down there in my 47 Caddy to see how much they were asking for it but damned if I can remember...good ol' days for sure.
    64vette1972.jpg

Bandit Billy likes this.
  14. rudestude

rudestude

Sorry about that Bob... I had forgotten that Ray and YOU OWNED IT and got it going...... Longview was the place to be back in the day ..a lot of nice cars ..taking over a hour or more to cruise Commerce Ave. ,that was just one way,going out to Reynolds for some drag racing, the night I went up against the "Mouse Trap" in my 27-T when it still had the 427 in it....oh the good times.. anyway take care Bob....oh ya this is Terry (aka Rudestude) I worked for Ron and crazy Carl Berg for years first on Commerce then over at the "Rat Hole"many good times.......

verde742 and Oilguy like this.
  15. Oilguy

Oilguy

Wow. Sounds like I missed all the fun. We moved here in 83 due to a job transfer. The feedback from you folks is appreciated and I am now driven to see what more I can find. Thanks to all.

16. Oilguy

Oilguy

Bandit: I sent a PM.

17. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Don't you see the big RV sales lot just as you turn off the freeway to Longview. U-neek RV. They had something to do with the car lot in Longview I think.
    Going to be hard to find a picture of the House of Hardtops. As I remember, it was a small outdoor car lot with a small office building. The thing that stood out was the abundance of really nice corvette's on the lot.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  18. Oilguy

Oilguy

I am aware of U-neek RV. I am searching for U-neak. They may be related somehow but not sure at this point.
    I remember also seeing the HOH lot and the cool cars they had.

19. verde742

verde742

ABSOLUTELY NO RELATION.
    Looking for a picture of HOH, or Bothelliers Motors?
    Get and old Portland Roadster Show program. Dick Bothellier bot Russ Meeks '29 tudor, in their ad, it had the '29 in front of their fenced lot.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Oilguy and rudestude like this.
  20. Long time friends and sponsors of most of Brian Cour's FE combinations , back in the 70's.

Oilguy likes this.
  21. rudestude

rudestude

You know Oilguy ...first off I'm not trying to take over your thread...but you have kind of stirred up some thoughts and memories of some really good times from a time period that is not really covered much, Al Drake has written some good books and articles on the Hot Rod history of the area but his stuff is mainly in the 50's ,his hay day's, not much out there on the 70's-80's for our area...it was kind of changing time a lot of open cruzing being shut down ..rice burner cars being cool????oh I guess they have good points ...but still not Hot Rods....Hell the last time I tried to Cruz Longview 10 -12 years ago I was in my 55Chevy old Strip now street car and a shit load of them little bastards swarm round me on one of the one ways we went for it stop light to stop light for several blocks I was in the middle lane they were each side of me like a bunch of bee's...went back and forth I did get them over all at the end.....this stuff is all becoming history and not the kind they teach in school..... I found some stuff on the car that was mentioned one is from a Portland Roadster Show Program...the other is from a story in Cruzin' a Northwest Magazine....it ties in with the house of hard tops anyways.....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  22. Oilguy

Oilguy

Don't worry about taking over this thread; it's all about history and entertainment and the "good old days". Very interesting reading and thanks for the contribution.

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to call it House of Hardons. I fell in love with Corvettes on that lot, a love affair that cost me a lot of money and isn't done yet. Later, Thelin and Blake's on Sandy started my attraction to lowered Chevy SWBs. Still have one of those too. My current truck is from Mikes current lot, Oilguy was nice enough to hook me up on that HOH frame that I am going to mount on Parts Getter II.

I'll ask Mike if he has any photos to share.

Oilguy likes this.
  24. Don't have any pictures but a good 1972 story from there.

I'd just bought a 1967 Camaro SS350 from HOH competitor Tindle's for my soon to be wife. A week later I'm driving by HOH after closing and they're unloading a car carrier including a low mile blue 68 Camaro SS/RS 375hp/396 auto. I waited for the unload and said I wanted to buy it. I offered $2500 (same I paid for Tindle car) and to bring the other "matching" Camaro for them to compare. I think it was Mike's dad I was dealing with, anyway he called somebody and the deal was done.

Brought money the next morning. Picked up the car, went home tore off the smog stuff, then had some fat Mickey Thompson Indy Profile tires mounted on the Cragars already on it. The following day was Saturday, so my buddy and I decided to cruise Broadway after drinking a large amount of Henry Endre's Rhubarb wine. I now call that car "the 36 hour Camaro". Last time I ever drank and drove.

Have a HOH license frame found at an estate sale.

0 license frame 2.JPG

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    41 GMC K-18, loudbang and Oilguy like this.
  25. verde742

verde742

Great memories, I loved the HOH crew, never bought a car from them,
    But those guys were super, fun to listen to, and knowledgeable about the car world,
    especially Mike Thelin, he was (is) a really goodguy. ( a cool dude )
    Bob Schoonhoven , didn't work for them, is also a good rep of the times..
    Bob

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Oilguy and loudbang like this.
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to run around with his daughter Karlyn. Damn I miss her. Used to go skiing at Hood and happy hour wherever. Went to dinner with Mr and Mrs Bob, Karlyn and Boyd Codington after the Portland Roadster show one night. Good people.

I was talking to Mike Thelin the other day on the phone, he said he would dig up some old photos for us. I just have to find time to run over and get them.

Oilguy and LowKat like this.
  27. rudestude

rudestude

41 GMC K-18 and Oilguy like this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

BUMP THIS THREAD
    How about some HOH love!

29. earlymopar

earlymopar

I have a Tindle's shot.... Tindle's lot W-Orange Crate.JPG

30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hey Greg
    Good to see that someone is paying attention!