Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is it not getting enough air?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 10, 2018.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Thanks Tom. I ordered five of them.
    Free shipping.
    Ah-oh. My wife’s gonna think I’m smelling someone else’s stockings.

3. You want large diameter and tall if possible.

A kid I went to high school with used an air cleaner from a Triumph with SUs on his flathead V8 V* that worked pretty good. You can buy 'em but on a banger you may have to put an Elbow on the airhorn and run it out to the side.

I have used window screen and a hose clamp to keep the birds out before. Won't work on an off road car real well (think back country roads here) but for normal highway driving you should be OK.

4. Yeah Beeno,I don't have to travel any dirt roads and with the pedal matted and a top speed of 50 MPH I avoid the highways. HRP

3W JOHN and dana barlow like this.
  5. I suspect at the time good 'ol Henry. HRP

3W JOHN and Ned Ludd like this.
  6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Danny since you show a helmet type filter assy. and a paper element, both for a 2bbl downdraft such as a 97 Stromberg or a 94 Holley/ Chandler Groves, I don't think you gotta worry about an elbow as Beaner suggests as that's for a stock banger "A" type carb. Unless the filter element itself is made of some non porous paper instead of the type intended to be used for air filters, that shouldn't be the problem either.
    What I'm wondering is how much radial clearance is around the base of the filter element between the solid base of the element and the lid? The lid appears to be sorta small in ID for the OD size of that element, but it's hard to tell cause they aren't shown in the same pic. If they are too close together, how can enough air get past and up to the filtering area of the element in order to pass thru?
    I do agree that a good breathing element also filters well is what you need.

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I had a good buddy who was going to drive his shoebox from Miami Fl to GNRS in Calif. He had a new little pot aircleaner {just one on his one carb}like your using. I told him he needed a bigger aircleaner,an he said It'll be fine,its brand new. He made it too Tex. before it ran like crap< yes the brand new little aircleaner was full. Those little pots look cool on 3x2 or more,but that also makes 3x the air. I run 4x2 with frog mouths an domed copper door screen in them/the dome vs. just flat screen across top of carb,adds a lot more screen holes. One thing that kills those little pots fasts ,other then a dirtroad,is rain=wet near stops the air tell it drys back out. If you want to use the thing,try ice picking it tell it bleeds too death,LOL,and cut away some rubber seal that could be too close the bottom of chrome outer cover.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  8. sunbeam

sunbeam

When I was in high school guys would throw away those big old tripower air cleaners on their 348 Chevys and replace the with 3 little chrome ones and the cars would run rich at full throttle.

9. I will take a close look this weekend to check and see if I have the correct fit. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  10. BJR

BJR

Take the metal hat off of the element and make a round steel circle with a hole in it to cap it. If it runs well with that mod, then you know the cover is causing the restriction, not the element.

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

He could just flip the lid over ;)

12. bchctybob

bchctybob

I had the same problem with three 97s on the 283 Chevy in my '27 T roadster. I had the standard cheap chrome air cleaners on it and they didn't flow enough up through the bottom as they were. I put a 1 1/2" ( 1 1/4"?) diameter hole in the chrome cover. I turned the holes towards the rear so they weren't so noticeable. Combined with a better quality filter element, it helped a bunch but I eventually put on frog mouth scoops with screens. They looked better poking through the hood than the air cleaners would have.

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

14. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Have you changed the air filter yet?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. mike bowling

mike bowling

4-25-2012 048.jpg
    I was told those are the worst to use. I made one with a lawnmower foam replacement filter " cover" over 1/4 x 1/4 chicken wire ( hardware cloth). I'll try to post a pic later. As many have said, originally they ran the carb open.
    I run the carbs on my coupe open with a layer of window screen and a "ring" of the same 1/4 x 1/4 wire to keep it rigid. Cut the sides off the covers so it's wide open.
    View attachment 3865403 DSCN3722.JPG
    Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_20180413_194728.jpg

0_20180413_194739.jpg

0_20180413_194815.jpg

Top pic I cut a circular piece of mesh a little bit bigger than the ID of the rubber filter ring sand/file sharp edges and install working between filter and rubber.

It prevents the foam from coming out as it did with the ones I have...major pain in the ass.

Fine mesh goes to carb side.

Lots of options. I use the rest of the mesh to put around shed to keep rodents out.

Hope your problem is near resolution

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and TomT like this.
  17. Stogy, I have used these same filters for several years. The first ones I used were from Flathead Jack I believe and they lasted quite some time. They were red in color if that makes any difference. The subsequent ones from Honest Charlie and off of eSlay are good but you do have to keep an eye on the foam. I like your idea, btw, and I will do the same or similar thing ....

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Stogy like this.
  18. I'm not comfortable using the foam after seeing the old triangle foam elements catch fine and burnt up a friends Chevelle. HRP

[​IMG]

3W JOHN likes this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What size is the opening on your carb that filter says 5" plus opening but I suppose you could make a adapter. That is foam too more and bigger so more to burn technically speaking. I guess restriction is a crap shoot...I took the plunge and other than chasing filters down the road the small roundies worked for me.​

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. I decided to try another breather I had on hand and I used the K&N air filter/element Bill suggested,It seems to run better but I haven't road tested it yet.

Going to take the boss lady out this evening and stop by a local cruise in,so I will see if this makes a difference. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  21. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I had two of those filters and found they are not as good as screen and pantyhose.
    May be better than you have but not the best option.
    I was surprised to find out they restricted air as much as they do.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. If this doesn't work that's my next plan of attack. HRP

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would be nice to get a filter inside a bug dome with a wire holder to keep it wedged against the screen as you can't beat the look with an open frog mouth or other multiple scoops and tubes...this is all complicated by the fact its a clear path to the inner workings of engines and gas is all we want in there...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. sunbeam

sunbeam

When Henry built the model A they had shields between the frame and the engine under the carb to keep the dust down most are gone now run a good air cleaner.

57 Fargo, Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The damn foam used in those filters dried out and became "kindling". Terrible, dangerous stuff.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are correct there must be a similar more robust foam or lets think about it this way change the foam out seasonally but replacements should be avail at lower cost...good point @TagMan

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. After all these many, many years (decades) with this crappy filter options problem, I'm a little surprised there has never been a solution commercially available...except the thin foam inserts discussed already.

This is especially so if even the 'god of filters' K&N is not so great either.

I suppose it wouldn't be so hard if we didn't all like the cutesie-pie little helmet type covers.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. On my 40 coupe I found KnN filters for my 94s using the louvered bells. The exact application may be different but they worked! There was a guy at Carlisle that used to sell them - I will be there next week and will keep an eye out.

As for the foam filters, I used them for frogs mouth air cleaners - better than just a mesh screen I would think but I will leave that to those who know more than I do! Lol!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

A quality paper element or one of K&N's oiled gauze should do the job provided they are good quality and appropiately sized.
    Danny there's a high compression "police" head for a "B" engine for sale over on the VA Hamber's social group if you're interested.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. try a cycle one.......

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.