Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Guy from Wy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Darrell Danford, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Darrell Danford

Darrell Danford

Hi all I’ve been looking at posts and using info of this site for a while and finally had to just join up. I am thinking about buying a 250 Chevy engine and putting it in my 1950 Fleetline BUT I read here that it is longer than the 235 that is in it. Wind stopped blowing long enough for me to go have a look last afternoon. No extra room between firewall and engine now will the 250 go in without mod to firewall? Definitely not a body man not interested in chopping any holes in my car. Thanks for any advice

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi Darrell & welcome. The 250 is just around 1" to 1.5" longer. I have not done the swap you are interested in but measure from the bell housing flat on the back of the engine and figure out if that extra length is on the rear or front of the 250. By this I am asking how much the rear of the 250 block protrudes rearward to where bell housing bolts up. If that extra engine length is mostly or all front you should be able to unbolt your radiator from the rear of the U shaped carrier it is bolted into and leave carrier where it is and simply move radiator to the front of the carrier and bolt it there and gain around 2 inches. You likely will have to modify or fab new front motor mount brackets anyway.
    Do not go buy the 250 relying on my swap info alone as I have not made that change & you should talk with someone who has actually done it. If you must modify the firewall there are replacement patch panels avalible with different depths of recess already made in them. Just cut a section of firewall out (mark with the new panel) and install. Not too big of a deal that way.

My 46 Coupe came with the old 216 engine and when it thrashed out I went with a well modified 235 & it has more HP that a stock 250. My 235 was bored 0.060 with the overhaul and that made it a 244. Hot cam, dual intake with 2 2 barrel Weber carbs, headers, HEI ignition, etc. But the modifications were expensive. My avatar photo is my 235 engine. only difference now from engine photo is I replaced that chromed steel valve cover with a finned aluminum.
    Just reread you post and in 1950 I think all the cars that came with a 235 were power glide equipped? Or was the 235 added later. I recall the 235 engines equipped with standard transmissions came a few years later, just forget which year.
    If you could get a moderator to move your post to the main board then everyone will see it and you will get more replies.
    Post photo's when you get started on the build.
    Good luck, Jimmie

chryslerfan55 and KJSR like this.
  3. Darrell Danford

Darrell Danford

Thanks for info. I considered moving radiator also. Sounds like the coupe is pretty fun to drive. If I did my research right you could get either a standard trans or power glide but the power glide was about a $125 upgrade the standard was 90 hp and power glide was 110hp with different gears in rearend. My reasearch has been sketchy before so it is highly likely that I’m wrong. New to all this how do I talk with moderator? Thank you

4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I have never contacted one but if you go to top of page & look across the header bar & click on the email icon and see if you can start a conversation with Ryan. If you can just tell him it was suggested to move your post the main board in hopes of more seeing it and getting more replies. Jimmie

5. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

6. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Moved to the main board ....

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

or you could ask @Bob K , he has a late 6 in his 52 chev convert

6inarow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. catdad49

catdad49

Welcome Darrell, there's a wealth of information on here. Look around, there may be a later 235 available that would solve you're situation. Have Fun with it!

9. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Hello from here.

10. Darrell Danford

Darrell Danford

Hey. Get any snow in RS or maybe GR. Cause my shop being as big as all the outdoors was a little chilly today

11. Darrell Danford

Darrell Danford

12. Darrell Danford

Darrell Danford

I think that would be the easiest way to go about this but I bought a “running good” when shut off 250 for $75 I am looking for that 235 they all seem to be scooped up pretty fast

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Im in between Kemmerer and Granger, and yes it is snowing. Bummer.

14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Welcome Darrell from the Black Hills. My first car was a 49 chev that my pops and I transplanted a 235 in. I know we had to press the water pulley flange further back to make room for fan clearance. Have your thought about a small block? Motor would probably be cheaper but then you have to swap trans and rear end.

15. ...it'll fit, no problem,...put a 250 into a 49 Fleetline, think you can use early Chevy II water pump or at least the pulleys to gain some clearance,..didn't modify firewall or move radiator on my 49...fit just fine...good luck with it.

16. 0nedon

0nedon

Welcome and please keep the snow and ice up there, not that I wish it on anybody.

17. Darrell Danford

Darrell Danford

18. Darrell Danford

Darrell Danford

Thanks a lot I needed someone to just push me over the edge so I would stop
    Second guessing myself that helps my attitude tremendously. Love the teeth in the 49 grill Thanks

19. Darrell Danford

Darrell Danford

20. Darrell Danford

Darrell Danford

Typical WY day here. I ve been rained on snowed on and almost wore a perfectly good coat out taking it off and putting it back on. The one sure thing is no chance of mesquitoes nothing is taking off in this wind

21. Darrell Danford

Darrell Danford

22. Darrell Danford

Darrell Danford

My daughter actually wants this car. So I’ve got two years to finish. Don’t know what kind of boyfriend two years might bring but I’m looking for the one
    That knows difference between sbc and IL6. My little test. Rusty you are correct about sb way easier

23. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Hey Darrell, what are your plans for the rest of the car? Post some pics if you get a chance. I painted my friend's dad's '52 4 door on Labor Day, it is down in Tooele. It is a stock metallic green, pretty nice old car, an all stock Powerglide version.

24. ...I've put SBC and Chevy sixes into these cars, both pretty strate forward,...
    Waldon's has the kits to do these swaps,...altho I didn't use em...here's my ol 49...
    my hot rods 008.jpg

25. Welcome Aboard

26. Darrell Danford

Darrell Danford

Rusty that’s nice way better than what I’m starting with thanks for Waldons info I’m gonna look em up and probably borrow a few ideas.
    I’m just planning to go with power glide stock rearend front end with disc brake conversion. Try to get a little more hp out of engine I’ll put a throttle body on it. I roughnecked for the previous owner this was his only mode of transportation in 1990. He swore it would cruise dwn Highway at 90 mph all day. Haven’t even got far enough into it to consider body yet. Mine is a four door as well so if you should happen onto pic of the 52 I’d love to see it

27. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

It might be a couple weeks, but I will see if I can get a pic. The same guy whose dad owns the car used to ride with me to the rig in my old 64 Fairlane. Back in the good old days.

28. Darrell Danford

Darrell Danford

Pretty rough but good iron only a little rust on floor

Attached Files:

s55mercury66 likes this.
  29. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Dont know if my chevy lingo is right but I believe a fleetline is a fast back your car is a 4 door sedan.

Moriarity likes this.