Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1951 Ford F1 Built – A journey of 10,000 stupid questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ScottPhotoCo, Apr 10, 2018.

1. ScottPhotoCo

ScottPhotoCo
    from Pomona, CA

Hello all. This is the beginning of a long journey for me, pretty much a rank newbie to the world of builds–hence the beginning of 10,000 stupid questions. If they're stupid to you, please just ignore them and move on because they're not stupid to me, well, because I have no idea. I have lived and worked in cities most of my life and only started getting into car culture in 2008 after I moved to Oregon to recover from too many years of 90 hour weeks in NYC.

My friends in Oregon were kind enough to tolerate my early stupid questions and helped me get started by do minor things to the 52 5-window Chevy truck I had at the time. Well, I married and moved back to the city (Pomona, CA to be exact) sold the Chevy and am starting a much bigger build and I have a long way to go.

What I have:
    I have a 1951 Ford F1, a C6 transmission backing up a rebuilt 429. I have 95% of the body parts and frame in pretty decent condition. The front end has a Chrysler torsion bar clip and the frame has been boxed. It appears to have a Ford 9" rear originally from a car.

Where I am:
    I have been collecting parts for a while now and am ready to start getting this thing together. I have purchased an aftermarket ladder-bar rear suspension and coil-overs which are not yet installed. The motor is just sitting on the front frame rails as that's how I transported it from Oregon to CA. The cab and running boards are mounted to the frame but the rest of the sheet metal is not.

What I'm planning on doing next:
    I'd like to get the body work roughly bolted together to make sure that I have everything I need and also so that I can make some measurements and order the tire/rim combo that I'm planning. Once I have all of that together, along with the wheels and tires I will (hopefully) get my friends down from Oregon (hint, hint) and we can work on the drivetrain and suspension.

So, here I am at the very beginning and hoping that you all can help a newbie out as I stumble around learning as I go.

Tim

Attached Files:

2. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

3. You made a good choice. Trucks are easy to build and fun to drive and own. I've had my F1 for 18 years and my advice is don't worry about how it looks until it drives well. Make it safe and reliable and then drive it while you learn what needs to be changed / adjusted. Mine has been on the road for 16 years and is still in the development stage. The only problem is once my 48 F1 was on the road I struggle to have it down for any significant updates. Have fun.....

spurgeonforge, loudbang and RMR&C like this.

4. Sounds like a good choice for the powertrain. What gears are in the rear end? What is the intended use, DD or occasional use?

5. Candfury

Candfury

Only 10,000 stupid questions?
    are you sure you haven't done this before?
    Just kidding you a bit.
    truck looks like a great project, have fun

6. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Built a 51 and had it for 20 years. Miss that truck. IMHO put in a Mustang front suspension, rides great. Ask away, still got that build stuck in my head !

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray likes this.
  7. Hopefully you have the title/paperwork all legal and in your name? That is the first step.
    I ask because the hood trim is for a '52. not a '51. Is the frame VIN# there or now gone since it was clipped?
    Are you happy with the (assuming) Volare clip? Would not be my first choice......

Hnstray and loudbang like this.
  8. Cool truck.. I was in our local F-100/F-1 truck club and several guys used the Volare or the Cordoba crossmembers. They're pretty cool and work nice if they're installed correctly. The big boys say to get the correct caster, the front of the crossmember needs to be notched up into the frame rail a few inches. Now, I've never used one [I subframed mine with a trans-am/Z-28 clip] but this is what was said of the mopar crossmembers.
    As a native Oregonian I can't imagine moving to sunny Cal [lived there 3 times] but what do I know? I moved to Omaha nebraska!
    Photo is of my Oregon fishin beater 49 ford pickup.....289/cruiso.
    49fordpu.jpg

Dino 64 likes this.
  9. Sounds like a good project, Enjoy!

10. 52lomofo

52lomofo

11. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. You are in the right place for 10,000 stupid question as nearly everyone here on this forum are well qualified from personal experience in STUPID. We can talk stupid frontwards, backwards, sideways and even upside down.
    go for it. Jimmie

12. ScottPhotoCo

ScottPhotoCo
    from Pomona, CA

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. So far to go...

Ok, first question. Does anyone know if there is a build book for this truck? That certainly would help get me moving.

Tim

13. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Just restoration guides, nothing I know of for modified builds.
    That hood is from a 52, only difference is the nose ornament.
    Tear it down and see what you’re working with. They’re easy to take apart.
    Make sure the frame is straight, and square, if not get it fixed. Body shop have the equipment.
    Then clean up the frame and box it.
    Not a fan of the mopar ifs, really too wide for the truck.
    That should keep you busy
    Hope that helps, also, as someone has posted Ford Truck Enthusiasts site is a great resource, bunch of very knowledgeable and helpful people. Many HAMB’s are on it too.
    Good luck.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Sounds like you may have a good start. I have done so many Volare/Aspen units to Truck I actually made cut patterns to keep them fast moving. One of the biggest problems that can happen and is very common is not enough Caster installed with the K member. Most don't set the chassis at the ground profile they want and then locate the K member. It's a Package deal to get it right. I did my first F-100 using a 68 G.T.X. package in 1970. I'm also not a fan of ladder bars or 4 bars in the rear if you want to enjoy street driving it. Leaf springs are hands down a better choice for comfort. Now if your racing that's a bit different.
    I am currently bring back to life my 53 F-100 and Ford Trucks are a big favorite of mine and at 70 I have done many many of them including a few F-1's.
    Good Luck, The Wizzard

Dino 64 and loudbang like this.
  15. I really don't want to think about this, because history tells me it will more than likely be inappropriate for a street vehicle. Quiet possibly drag race parallel ladderbars.

I hope I'm wrong.

Also the parallel ladder bar thing gets thrashed out frequently, so no point churning that up again.

16. studebaker46

studebaker46

the volare/diplomat etc frontend was really popular in late 70s 80s as wizard said castor is key. parts now might be hard to find. disc brakes work excellent but the power steering is really touchy, nothing you cant deal with good luck. main thing is make a plan then stick to it Tom

loudbang likes this.
  17. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I have two build threads here if you want some ideas.
    Mopar front and ladder bar rear isn't the approach we take.
    We've completed several builds on these trucks and our choices make for a very usable old truck. 20171103_112804.jpg 20180305_173525.jpg

18. ScottPhotoCo

ScottPhotoCo
    from Pomona, CA

Sweet! Can you post links to those threads?

Much appreciated.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Primetime 45

Primetime 45

Nice truck and it will be a fun project. Will it be a DD? I built a 51 F1 over a several year span and I agree with the earlier advice to concentrate on getting it roadworthy and the rest will fall into place as you enjoy driving it. My F1 has a 302, C4, 9 inch Torino rear end with 2:80 gearing. Cruises at 70mph @ 2200 rpm. Front suspension is mustang II, and softened the ride by removing 3 leafs from the rear springs which also lowered the rear about 1 1/2 inches. Truck cruises at highway speed with the best of them and the ride is good. Also installed a/c because the wife loved to ride with me but once the Texas heat got above 95 each summer, she would protest...
    Enjoy your project F1 and keep us posted!
    Here is a photo after I painted is last spring.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

spurgeonforge, Dino 64, 4t8f1 and 4 others like this.
  20. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

loudbang and spurgeonforge like this.
  21. mike matters

mike matters

Dino 64 and waxhead like this.
  22. ...good luck with your truck,...I like all kinds of old trucks, especially the F-1's...
    here's a few Ive put back on the road... my cars 008.jpg 48 dirt road 003.jpg 48f1-rt251f1 004.jpg

waxhead likes this.
  23. Since this thread has resurfaced, how about an update @ScottPhotoCo ?

24. 52lomofo

52lomofo

25. 52lomofo

52lomofo

what size wheels and tires on front ?? any backspacing thanks