Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Salvaging spray cans of paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ralphies54, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Lmao !

pat59 likes this.
  2. I learned that holding the Can upside down and using an Old School Beer can opener no paint comes out. That way you can get the Marbles out of the full cans.
    The Wizzard

3. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

How is that possible?
    Video?

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. I puncture a small hole with one of those sharp hardened screws. and let the paint spray out. use the paint on rusty rims that I have just buffed with a wire brush on a drill.

Retterath likes this.
  5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I guess 4 is too young to use the cans for target practice.:rolleyes: Bob

6. Interesting. Where I grew up in So Cal it was the exact opposite. We just called the wire type bottle opener, a "bottle opener." A church key was the type you could open bottles or puncture cans with. Like this:
    Churchkey01.jpg

5window, biggeorge and zzford like this.
  7. You can re-pressurized them with an air blow-gun with the rubber tip on it. Just turn the regulator down to about 15-20 lbs. and stick it in the little tube and squeeze the trigger. Wahlah! o_O:eek::D

DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME, THESE ARE HIGHLY TRAINED PROFESSIONAL TECHNICIANS!

(Of course, I use leather welding gloves and a metal pipe to hold things and a face shield.)

stanlow69 likes this.
  8. zzford

zzford

You're lucky you didn't level the whole damn neighborhood! Spay cans are DEADLY!!!

9. Church key , literally
    image.jpeg
    The experienced user can open a bottle as easily as the front door to the church with this actual church key.
    Hence the church key style opener. The keen eye will Notice the similarity.
    image.jpeg
    Then there's these little gizimotos
    The bottle opener end does not resemble a church key at all
    The pointy end is a "can tapper" even though it's pointy end may resemble a church roof it's not a church key.
    image.jpeg
    It does this image.jpeg

Saxman likes this.
  10. Don't get theses mixed up either.
    The p-38 and yes Both will open up can.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Yutan Flash and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  11. Geezzz, just look at what I started. When I was a Pup we didn't have Pull Tabs or Twist Tops yet. Man is that dating myself. Bottles required an opener that bent the Cap to get it off and all caps had a Cork seal under them. Beer cans were metal and required 2 holes punched in them. One so air could get in so you could get the Beer out of them. Soda Pop hadn't been put in cans yet. So a can opener needed a pointy end. You could call it anything you want as long as it did the job at hand. Most looked like the photo Saxman posted up. I still have several of them but nothing to use them on. Now back to our regular program.
    The Wizzard

12. P.S. No instructions or warnings were required.

Deuces likes this.
  13. I use my torch tip cleaner! Sometimes it works. This is too much work for not much reward. I know it's a guy thing.:rolleyes:

14. My children would throw empty cans in a bonfire and watch them explode. My middle son was Driving a go car when he was three. By the time he was 5 he drove a B farmall raking hay. could weld by the time he was 7. Got his first car when he was 12 and overhauled it. Sadly He died in a car crash when he was 17. That was 25 years ago. My youngest son named his first born son Chris after his brother. This little Chris like his uncle is ate up with the junk man genes. Lots of fun to watch him and play with.

15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Used to open the cans with a cut off wheel. Had a flash fire. Switched to poking them with an awl to depressureize them. Then cut them open with a cut off wheel. Had another flash fire. Now I use a can opener to get the can open after poking them with an awl. No more fires. I put the green marbles in a gumball machine. They are in 99 cent flat black paint cans from Home Depot. I buy them by 24 cans at a time. Paint always comes out so I aim it towards the trash can. I mounted a sawzaw on the wall with a large caulking gun attatched to the blade. Load the can in and pull the trigger to shake the can.

16. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Nice to see my old thread brought back from the dead. FYI, after opening a few cans and things not working as I hoped with my pierce the can with the awl method and spraying silver paint all over my bench I've decided it's not worth the effort anymore so right into the shitcan when they plug up. Ralphie

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I open them with a can opener inside my small sandblast cabinet. Never get any paint on me with this method!
    Store the can upside down for a couple of hours to move the paint to the top of the can. Place it in a plastic grocery bag, then into the cabinet it goes. Reach in and puncture it. Any paint spray stays inside the bag. Toss the bag, wipe the can clean, then drop the can into a paper paint funnel/strainer placed on top of a large airbrush jar. Cap it up. Done deal.

18. Well this thread sure made a wide circle. Interesting to read everyone's thoughts on safety and frugality. I'm a real tight ass so I save up the plugged and empty cans and occasionally clear off a section of my old beat to heck Masonite topped work bench, poke an awl into the top of the shaken cans and dump them on the cleared off bench top, spread it around with a scrap of cardboard just before I close up for the day. That old Masonite is almost oil proof again.
    Use an oil filter cutter to open the cans the next day to get the marbles. Fun for kids of all ages!

19. Some of you all must do a lot of spray can painting, by the size of those marble collections.:eek:

Deuces, Truck64, X38 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! I've thought about using a tube cutter to get the marble out.... Piece of cake.... ;)

21. Here's how I do it. Harvesting full cans.
    Cut a plastic coffe can lid so it fits tightly around the spray can. Cut a small vent hole into the lip of the coffee can.
    Put the spray can thru thru the lid, inside of the lid towards the nozzle.
    Flip the spray can over into the coffee can. Seal the lid and stick a brick on it.
    This releases the propellant and some residual paint all into the can. Fully contained.
    Take a rag and rubber bands around the base of the spray can and poke thru the rag and thru the bottom of the spray can with an awl. The awl will act as a needle valve too and fully contained.
    Then use a regular old kitchen can opener.
    You'll get every drop and in my case , no marbles

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  22. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

The few that I tried to open to salvage the paint were high end spray cans from Bill Hirsch custom colors made for him. After opening the rattler in all cans was only a 1/2 long piece of aluminum rod. Not even a good marble or ball bearing. Ralphie

23. You're very lucky to have survived the cut off wheel to spray can adventure.
    Very stupid Stupid STUPID to have tried that.

Something similar to this is on every spray can.
    WARNING:
    Keep away from sparks, open flame, heat.
    Contents is highly flamable and under pressure.

24. All of this safety and trying to avoid the mess takes up too much time and takes the fun out of it. I puncture empty cans with a big chisel and hammer. Little Chris punctured a half full one with that same method. He was bare foot and painted his feet and hands. It will eventually wear off. The paint on the concrete apron in front of the shop will wear off also.

25. Ask little Chris if he knows how well and how much his skin will absorb the nasty shit in the can and let it all into his bloodstream? Ask little Chris if he knows how that will affect his cell development as he's growing. Ask him if he knows more gets into the blood thru the skin than thru the lungs. Fuck us old farts and fuck the concrete, fuck safety too.

26. rustyangels

rustyangels

I know you want to empty the can...
    but what I've done to revive the can is put them in front of a quartz heater til about 115-120°, shake well after that

27. indyjps

indyjps

How about tips on keeping the cans ALIVE AND SPRAYING as intended.

I shake every can well, spray my paint, turn upside down and spray to clear the tip, wipe the tip off. Still have a pile of duds.
    Any other advice on how I can keep these alive longer. I actually dont remember the last time I was able to empty a can of spray paint the regular way.

Any brands preferred to last thru the entire can.

28. The people who hung around with you and taught you socialization terms need to relax a bit more. Really. ;)
    In the various states of the union that I've drank brews, anything that opened single servings of beer, cans or bottles (in my case, it probably was quart bottles), has been routinely called a "Church Key". I don't believe it's ever had anything to do with what it resembles or looks like. The first time I heard the term, I instantly knew it was a reverse play on words that had everything to do with looking like "we probably ain't going to make it through the church doors tonight". :) :) :p

Old wolf likes this.
  29. Really ;)
    Funny thing is they (those people) make sense as opposed to the overly obvious shit that don't.

30. All in good fun, my friend. At least we all agree that it is containers we wish to open.

Back on topic: I have one shelf just for spray cans and also on it is a small jar with a little acetone. When I put the spray cans back on the shelf, I toss the sprayhead thingies in the jar until the next use. The hollow stalks at the top of the cans still can give me problems, though, if I forget to do the upside down purge.

indyjps likes this.