Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods NEW ZEALAND HOT RODS of the 50's - 60's (picture thread)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Sectioning was rare but it did happen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not many real customs , in the early days I think stuff got added on, not removed.

[​IMG]

Merc's were rare

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG].

2. A couple of survivors.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Kev, great thread, I've got Looking Back Vol 1 and New Zealand Rodding # 1 to #9 from around the late 1990's early 2000.........some great articles and pics.............is Vol 2 of Looking Back available?....also what happened to New Zealand Rodding?............thanks......Andy Douglas

4. NZ Rodding went west after 18 issues. Lloyd''Magoo" Wilson who put it out is still a good friend off mine. I have all 18 issues. JW

LIFESTYLZ and loudbang like this.
  5. This thread is as good as it gets on the hamb - nothing but vintage hot rods and customs.
    Quite a history down there.
    Chicks with big hair and cigarettes. haha. The way we were.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Gofannon

Gofannon

Like anything that deteriorates, it went from simplicity to complexity, and somewhere along the line the whole point was lost.

7. Thanks 26T & Gofannon........think I remember that from #10 NZ Rodding became the large size & it didn't seem to have the same quality or passion..............but that Vol 2 of Looking back is something I wasn't aware of.......btw I remember Roger Devlins Wild Honey in the Roselands Hot Rod Show in Sydney, 1969.......it was way over the top........still remember it................andyd

8. Its a bit confusing but there are two Mags that share almost the same name. The 1st was NZ Street Rodder put out by Lloyd Wilson(Magoo) in 83 and 84 with a total of 18 issues and much later is New Zealand Rodder, this is the one that started off in small format and I also agree that it lost a lot when it change to big..... I find it good now. This one is put out by Alistair Davidson. JW

9. The small mag is the one that I have........but any idea re Vol 2 of Looking Back?......thanks.........andyd

10. No sorry, never seen 1 or 2:( JW

11. Vol 1 is a book version of this thread............every bit as good as the Grafitti Oz history of rodding books, better in some ways........andyd

12. johnc451

johnc451

Fantastic photos!!!! So many of them reminded me of back yards and garages in the town I grew up in in NY. Channeled, chopped or not, low and fenders to the scrap pile! Thanks for all the great flashbacks.

13. clem

clem

Looking Back published by

East Bay Rods,
    PO Box 89041
    Torbay
    Auckland
    New Zealand

Published by

Colour Workshop
    Email: [email protected]

Maybe they have done Looking Back 2 , which I have seen
    for sale at swap meets like Kumeu.

14. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

Love this thread Kev!!

15. Alfster

Alfster

16. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

I have huge respect for the old racing guys of NZ. Not just Burt Munro who every one knows thanks to the "Worlds Fastest Indian" but its the same philosophy. "We dont have it here in NZ so we will build it." No.8 fencing wire works wonders.
    Dont forget old Bruce Mclaren top bloke and the recent movie about him is worth a watch if you havnt seen.
    The Mclaren boy learnt the ropes at his pop's service station here in NZ.
    [​IMG]
    A young Bruce at the start of his racing days
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Bruce in 1959 started up an event in my home town the "Waimate 50" that is still going and is held over two weekends with street and gravel races.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. clem

clem

6D266990-ED41-49D9-B863-C98F3DE06AA4.jpeg F9A31AF1-5463-4381-9099-9B1EAE035D46.jpeg Apologies for hi-jacking your thread,
    but I am trying to find more information on this car, which I believe is the one that I currently own.
    Any information would be appreciated.
    Photos probably taken in the late ‘60s.
    Thanks,
    Clemens.

Cooon, Stogy, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Kiwi Kev posted it so either it was a photo he had or perhaps he scanned it from a old magazine which may have had some info either way. So hopefully he will chime in with some good news.

loudbang, 26 T Ford RPU and clem like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So @clem did you or are you bringing this coupe back to a vision of its former self...
    It looks to have Chev hood panels in the top pic.

Perhaps it was completely modded from the pictures version already when you got it.

Give us the scoop...;)

loudbang likes this.
  20. clem

clem

83193F35-DB41-49D8-AECF-1C954D985BE9.jpeg 4FC6DF7C-5410-47CD-B7C8-F5602B29165C.jpeg

As it is today, will run black solids all around, with trim rings and hubcaps.Full hood, maybe?. I have fenders, but don’t want to run them yet.
    It was pretty butchered when I got it, worse than and Nothing like the 1960s pics above.
    Didn’t have the filled roof, so we filled it,rebuilt bottom 8 inches , etc, etc
    One day I will do a thread, maybe?

If this post is inappropriate to this thread, please advise and I will delete it,
    Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing wrong with sharing survivor stories. The Coupe your wondering about had a filled roof so yours had evidence of it being cut out when you found it? Cool Hotrod by the way...fun time soon...;)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    26 T Ford RPU and loudbang like this.
  22. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Lots of wide five wheels over there.

Shadow Creek and loudbang like this.
  23. Very cool , Clemens and also the non dropped head light bar on the other.:cool::cool: JW

clem likes this.
  24. The latest NZHRM April 2018 has the history of a heap of them including my old one.
    my 32 coupe 2018-04-10 002.jpg

25. clem

clem

Yes, mine is in that article. ( No 8)
    I’ve owned the car for a long time, but never seen the photo from the 1960s.
    Appears to be the Same car as this one, ( post 108), hence the questions.
    Clemens.

LIFESTYLZ likes this.
  26. clem

clem

Bttt
    This is how I bought it in ‘81, - glass guards and bonnet.
    6F3F70F8-DAD5-43C3-BDCB-79F583B8CFCC.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Stogy likes this.
  27. Part Timer

Part Timer

Any more out there waiting? Just found this. Great pics and what a beautiful country.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. Mimilan

Mimilan

Jujnovich's Ford Pop [Waiouru military airstrip]
    upload_2020-7-18_22-37-6.png

Phil Hirst lifts the front wheels.[also Waiouru military airstrip]
    upload_2020-7-18_22-56-4.png

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Jet96, Stogy and KiWinUS like this.
  29. Mimilan

Mimilan

Bill Perriton's channeled '34 Plymouth coupe ..

upload_2020-7-18_22-50-59.png

Jet96, KiWinUS and Cooon like this.