Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '49 Styleline Deluxe - Project FrankenStyle

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by FrankenRodz, Sep 27, 2017.

1. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Thank you Very Much. I'm not going to lie, the Patina-blend took a long time to perfect, but once I found the formula - only minutes to do.

It's so much easier when you don't have to match anything. Here are a few examples of others I've done.

IMG_0083.JPG IMG_0032.JPG IMG_0986.JPG

jakespeed63 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  2. Keith50

Keith50

Here is what I did.

Attached Files:

3. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Car is coming out really cool! Making me reminisce of a 52 I used to have. Looking forward to seeing some overall shots of it.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  4. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

That looks Great! Really tough looking.
    You don't smack your hand on the shift knob when turning the steering wheel?
    I had to remove my Monkey Head because he was right against the wheel in 1st gear!

Attached Files:

5. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

IMG_1050.JPG IMG_1051.JPG
    Thanks! Can't wait either to get good Pictures. The Shop is so crammed right now, I couldn't get good overall shots for the Insurance company. Boston World of Wheels should be a good opportunity, and I'll post those Pictures.

6. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Just got confirmation from Grundy Insurance, the '49 is now insured for a guaranteed replacement value of $35,000.00.
    I always keep a modest insured value while doing the Build, but it's important to remember to increase the coverage before jumping in and going for your first ride!

IMG_1055.JPG

jakespeed63, 40LUV and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  7. Keith50

Keith50

It's a auto, 1972 250 6and turbo 350. My gramps converted the shifter, it's about in the position of nuteral on a 3spd. I want to change it because it doesn't lock in park and my kiddos climb in and out all the time.

8. Man, you got good taste!! Loving these 2 blue ovals

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  9. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Thank you very much. Everyone gives me a hard time for selling my Builds so quickly, and I must admit, those 2 cars should have stayed around a little longer to enjoy. (More detailed info. about those, and other Builds on my website).
    http://www.frankenrodz.com/home.html

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  10. RMONTY

RMONTY

I think this build is worthy of a walk around photo shoot posted here in your build thread showing all the neat stuff you did in one or two posts. A lot of stuff going on with this one. Enjoyed every bit of it from here. Great job!

Bowtie Coupe and Saxman like this.
  11. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Quality Photoshoot is definitely in the near future. The car will most likely go to Auction, so I need some Glamour Shots.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  12. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

FIRST TEST DRIVE!
    About 14 miles from our Shop in to the Boston World of Wheels Show, and the car ran great.
    - The new speedo cable wasn't working right at all, but my chase-car said I was going around 60mph down the highway.
    - Very quite, rattle-free (except for the roof visor which was yanking the center stainless trim off the windshield as the wind got under it!).
    - The 3" Drop Coils/Shocks up front performed well, with no bottoming-out. Same with the 3" rear lowering blocks.
    - Front disc/rear drum power brake setup also worked better than expected.

All-in-all, I'm real pleased with how the car performed and extremely glad there was nothing catastrophic, as a Nor'-Easter snow storm was threatening. Not exactly the ideal situation, but the car made it and we're ready for the show.
    (Note the HAMB plug on the bottom of my show sign!).

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1070.JPG

IMG_1071.JPG
    IMG_1072.JPG

13. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

First Place Award for Nostalgia Custom Class at the 2018 Boston World of Wheels.
    Thanks to everyone that stopped by and said Hi. The great response to this Build has been very much appreciated, and inspiring.

IMG_1080.JPG

14. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

15. chuckshomeservices

chuckshomeservices
    from mass

16. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

17. Congrats on your 1st Place Award. Well deserved.:cool::cool:

FrankenRodz likes this.
  18. mkebaird

mkebaird

What he said!

FrankenRodz likes this.
  19. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

IMG_1091.JPG IMG_1092.JPG IMG_1093.JPG IMG_1094.JPG

Brake Pedal Modification -

The Brake Pedal was way too close to the Accelerator Pedal (really overlapping with your foot on the gas).
    So I found a Pad shorter in width, and cut off about an inch from the right side of the Brake Pedal Metal, offsetting the narrower Pad and gaining the much needed space.

I had to buy a pair of Pads, so if anyone wants to fix their car too $5. shipped.
    (I also have the new OEM Pad which works for Brake or Clutch, same deal).

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    zipoleon likes this.
  20. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Steering Wheel Redo -
    When I took the original steering wheel off to repaint it, I found that under the wrap were two channels cut right into the ring, likely to accommodate a steering wheel spinner. Not a tough repair for an otherwise very good condition wheel. However I scored another wheel for $57., and after a day of sanding and prep., I was able to shoot it with color and install it all in one day.
    - Metallic Bronze Rustoleum Rattle Can, with gloss clear coat, to match the center cap.
    - Orange Metallic VHT Rattle Can, with gloss clear coat, to match the outside touches.

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1103.JPG

21. This is my new favorite car. Awesome job!! I love everything about it.

22. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Thanks! Very much appreciated.

IMG_1083.JPG

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  23. Lowdown Scoundrel

Lowdown Scoundrel

Love this build! Especially the colour scheme, you nailed it. Great work

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

FrankenRodz likes this.
  24. indyjps

indyjps

FrankenRodz thank you for taking the time to document this build, very creative solutions, great mix of parts updates others can use as example.

I really like the area rug carpet idea. Now you've got me thinking about woodgraining, I have a few colors of browns that I can mess with. Just a side note, Ive been watching homemade hydrodipping videos on guitars on youtube, they generally go for a lot of color contrast, but I think it would work well with close colors for a wood grain effect. Of course hydrodip films are available too.

25. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Thanks Indy! I've never done a Build Thread here, because most of my work is design outside of the norm, but the response has been very good.
    As far as Wood Graining, I use Red Primer basecoat with Black for Mahogany. You can also topcoat with Camel and Black colors for more depth.
    Just be careful not to pull some or all of the color back off. I try and topcoat all at once. Also, doing all you pieces at the same time will ensure consistency in the effect. Sometimes it's hard to get back in the same groove a few days later.

Bowtie Coupe and 48fordnut like this.
  26. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

A little Tiki Touch for the Roof.
    Now I just have to put the Hood back on and the Car is officially done!

IMG_1135.JPG IMG_1136.JPG IMG_1137.JPG IMG_1138.JPG IMG_1139.JPG IMG_1140.JPG IMG_1141.JPG

27. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Well the Car is officially For Sale.
    Lots of interesting potential Projects out there, and I'm aching to start another one!

Rot-Free Midwestern car, completely redone as a traditional custom, using modern technology.
    Mechanically
    •1956 Chevrolet 235 cu.in. inline 6 cylinder with 1959 head, Fenton dual intake, Webber 2-barrel progressive carburetors, electronic chokes, Williams headers, and straight dual exhaust with steel-pack mufflers.
    •Refurbished original 3-speed manual transmission.
    •12 volt conversion with new alternator, Petronix Ignitor, Flamethrower coil, updated wiring, new light fixtures, and third brake light.
    •Under-floor power brake system, front disc brake conversion, and new rear drum brakes and wheel cylinders. •New fuel tank, fuel lines, and brake lines.
    •3" front lowering coil springs, 3" rear lowering blocks, and front and rear 3" tuned lowering shock absorbers. •Rebuilt original heater, with new heater core.
    •Rebuilt original radiator. Body
    •All trim removed and polished, and sheet metal underneath sanded and rustproofed.
    •Original patina paint block sanded, faux-enhanced in certain areas, and satin cleared.
    •Roof sprayed in metallic orange with vinyl leaf pattern.
    •Original patina visor satin cleared.
    •Original 15" wheels sand blasted and sprayed in metallic orange with satin clear.
    •New Coker wide white wall radial tires.
    •New rocker moldings.
    •New windshield and side glass.
    •New weather stripping, glass channels, gaskets, and rubber bumpers. Interior
    •Stripped to bare metal, and front floor pans replaced.
    •Floor sound proofed, and custom carpet installed.
    •Roof heat and sound proofed, and new cotton-napped headliner installed.
    •Dash, interior window trim, and arm rests faux wood grained.
    •Seat faces reupholstered in pleated vinyl.
    •Door panels remade using waterproof pvc substrate, and upholstered in exterior grade fabric.
    •New dash knobs, and door handles.
    •Custom laser cut monkey third brake light.
    •Custom trunk featuring Doug Horne Artwork, and beer cooler spare tire well removeable display tray.

This car has been thoroughly road tested and needs nothing. There are no squeeks, leaks, or rattles. The car cruises comfortably at highway speed, and shifts, steers, and brakes very well.

Make an Offer!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    jakespeed63 and spurgeonforge like this.
  28. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Looks awesome! Very creative build. Thanks for posting.

FrankenRodz likes this.
  29. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Finally got the Hood on. I went with later model Hood Springs, but not sure it was worth the cost as they only keep the Hood open marginally wider.
    After trying a few techniques to stretch the Springs, (custom rod down the center of the spring, and coil shims), we ended up simply prying them on with a screwdriver.

IMG_1203.JPG

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  30. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

CARBURETOR SPRING REMOVAL
    Anyone familiar with Langdon's Carter/Webber Carburetors knows the Throttle Spring Tension is very tight.
    Langdon recommends removing the Front Spring from the Carb(s), and I'm happy to report it makes a Huge Difference!
    The first photo shows the location of the Front Spring on the Carb. The second photo shows the components (in order) that need to be removed. No mystery, real easy and quick to do.
    I did this way back at the end of March, when I returned from the Boston World of Wheels, but believe it or not, this is the first drive since! Before, I had to push the accelerator pedal so hard, the linkage rod came right through the pedal!

IMG_1089.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG

IMG_1145.JPG

Oldkrow and 48fordnut like this.