Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New Exhaust Manifold Paint

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by PeggySue, Apr 10, 2018.

1. PeggySue

PeggySue

Installing new(never painted) cast iron exhaust manifolds, don't have the money for professional ceramic coating. Going to use the 2000 degree paint. What prep is needed before painting and do you have to do the high temp paint primer?

2. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

they have to be clean and oil/grease free.
    I had mine sandblasted and then painted them with VHT
    they are several years old now

Non trad motor pic for exhaust manifold only... 20180407_160837.jpg

fortynut likes this.
  3. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Spray with Prep Spray Rattle Can to remove contaminants as mentioned. Then spray with VHT Rattle Can.
    Mine instantly greyed-out when I ran the engine, so don't expect the finish color to last. (Cast Iron Metallic was my choice).

4. [​IMG]
    Calyx manifold dressing is a coating.
    I understand the OP is requesting paint advice. This Eastwood product came to mind, though. Brand new parts, now sure is the best time to put a finish on them. Show a picture when you're done!

5. PeggySue

PeggySue

Ok Thanks to everyone. These are brand new , will post pictures when done. Be a bit, have to re-fabricate where they go through fire wall some.

chevy57dude likes this.
  6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I painted my new manifold on my old Ford 9n tractor. I put it on pretty heavy in two coats with ample time to somewhat dry. I then put it on my old BBQ grille nice and hot for a few hours and let it cool. It's been a few years now and still looks great.

camer2 and olscrounger like this.
  7. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Does it smell like Burgers? I'm Hungry!

8. POR15 has a good exhaust manifold paint. I had mine sand blasted, cleaned up the nasty flash on one of them. Gave them 2 coats of the POR15 spray and baked them in the oven @ 400* for 2 hours. Extremely durable and looks great.

alanp561 and mad mikey like this.
  9. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I blasted mine so they were nice and clean then put them in the BBQ on some aluminum foil for about 15 minutes. Pulled them out and hit them with vht grey. I have just got the motor fired so I can't speak to the longevity of them yet.

10. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Is this Eastwood Calyx put on over the surface rust as shown in your photo or how was that area prepped. I really like the way this looks. I will be applying over tube headers that do not yet have any rust if that makes a difference.
    Thanks, Jimmie

11. Eastwood says ok over rust but best results if the surface is first blasted. Then prep with Pre painting prep #10041Z
    One can of dressing will finish several manifolds.

mad mikey likes this.
  12. gas pumper

gas pumper

Rustoleum BBQ paint comes in silver, flat black and gloss black and maybe white? I used the silver, it turns gray and the flat black fades to dark gray, but the gloss black really does well and holds up and keeps the shine.

alanp561, 6-bangertim and mad mikey like this.
  13. PeggySue

PeggySue

I see no one said anything about high temp primer, so a person doesn't need to do primer before painting with VHT Flame thrower paint.

14. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sanderson block hugger headers and the entire exhaust system, used BBQ paint. Silver. Two years and 25,000 miles. Looks like they were done yesterday. And have remained silver.

chevy57dude likes this.
  15. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

I never bother to prime if the part is new and rough enough for paint to bite into.

mad mikey likes this.
  16. PeggySue

PeggySue

Yep brand new and rough! Thanks

chevy57dude likes this.
  17. lake_harley

lake_harley

I've used both VHT and BBQ paint and it seems I have had better luck with the BBQ paint. Rust-o-leum brand as I recall. Seems to me it holds up better if only a light coat is used....just enough to put the color on the tubes (headers in my case). Anyone else have comments on light vs heavy coats when using high temp paint?

Lynn

6-bangertim likes this.
  18. Was just reading something the other day about using dry graphite spray instead of paint on exhaust manifolds. Looked really good in the pictures. Has anyone tried this? Any feedback would be great.

19. kracker36

kracker36

Here is an option.. I'll ceramic coat them for you for free if you pay shipping. Just for some advertising!

20. lake_harley

lake_harley

Dry graphite spray? Interesting. I'd be curious to know more. I ended up with about a pint can of dry graphite powder in a box of random things at an estate sale a few years ago. Maybe there's a use for it other than smoothing the operation of 1,000 or more locks?

Lynn

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aside from the type of paint used, when it comes to high temp applications, I've had the best results when using heat to cure the paint.

The paint has to cure well on it's own before heat-curing.
    The heat-curing process should be done in stages...in increasing temperature heating cycles. Heat at a low temp and allow to cool, then a higher temp and cool, repeat.

22. THIS GUY

Try the ceramic

Oldmics

chevy57dude likes this.
  23. This is my POR15 paint 130-008.JPG 221-001.JPG .

24. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

what the heck kind of distributor is that????:D
    gorgeous motor

1940Willys and alanp561 like this.
  25. Thanks, that is a gutted points distributor used to prime the oil pump.
    2-6-006.JPG

26. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I know I have one...making a lame joke about the drill on there....sorry carry on

RoddyB34, bobss396 and alanp561 like this.
  27. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I have had success with the VHT SP998, but if not prepared correctly, it will fade or peel off. I have not tried BBQ paint, but seems viable.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never tried dry graphite spray paint on exhaust components, but I do have experience with it on suspension components. Our Winston Cup team suspension department used to put it on upper and lower control arms and spindles (uprights). It becomes a smeary mess when you get a little bit of solvent near it. Made for some grey days in the track garage.

vic

29. PeggySue

PeggySue

Finally got her done. Seemed to work OK will see after running awhile

Attached Files:

30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How to make SBC look good... Put on Ford Y-Block look-a-like exhaust manifolds:rolleyes: