Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Heritage Gas: Traditional Gasser Classes and Racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don Moyer, Jul 18, 2017.

?

do you have any interest in Heritage Gas

Poll closed Aug 17, 2017.
  1. yes

54 vote(s)
    55.7%
  2. no

43 vote(s)
    44.3%
  1. I would say no. Mr. Hrudka founded Mr. Gasket in Cleveland Ohio in 1965. Any speed parts used must have copies of their advertisement from a 1964 or earlier parts catalog.

els likes this.
  2. southcross2631

southcross2631

Good luck with your group then . You just lost me as I am not spending the money on a new shifter to maybe run once a year with you. It fits the southeast gasser rules and that's where I will be running.

els and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  3. old sparks

old sparks

I see lots of interest on paper but the reality of cars being built to conform to your inflexible rules, I believe, will not happen. for the money invested, a guy could build an 8 or 9 second car and have more racing venues to go to and more fun. sounds like car show mentality ( look at me)

4. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Everything sounds good and fun except the no narrowed rear ends allowed . Those racers of the day were narrowing their rearends. All the top Willys , Angelia's etc. Had narrowed rears with those big 10" wide Halibrands otherwise the tires would have hung out a mile . Too goofy of a rule in my opinion .

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Well Rick that's my same feelings on the subject of internal parts policing and date coded blocks. Too rare and too expensive in some cases . And how are they going to enforce it . Protest tear downs? And who will determine if a 4130 I beam rod or a fatigued stock I beam rod is used?
    Also I see Undetectable stealth flat tappet grinds blowing away the old school worn out Duntov grinds and antique springs. A cheaters paradise. AFR's disguised to look like camel humps The strict rules on internals will kill the great intention of this organization.
    The east coast Gassers are having a blast and are strict on visually correct and safety but bullet proof modern transmissions and engine internals are welcomed and encouraged for safety.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dirty old man, els and 31hotrodguy like this.
  6. No worries, it is not a group, your welcome to come and run at any of our events! You can leave your car the way you describe it and run our Nostalgia Gas class now, as can any of the South East Gassers.

els likes this.

7. The rules are not out yet, look for them to be out on black Friday. Safety is paramount, as all rules should be. Trust me I am all about having fun, and this class will be no different from any of the other classes/events I am a part of!

els likes this.
  8. I think the rules as written will address a need for a class that does not exist today in nostalgia drag racing. That is my goal as I write the rules at this time. I just got off the phone with the guy that does the FAST organization for some more ideas. I know how much it costs to build a 8-9 second car and there is no way someone should spend half that to build a car for this class. If they do, it probably won't pass tech anyhow, and get bumped to Nostalgia Gas. Remember folks this is just one division of the 3 different divisions of Gasser racing! We are not making it so you can't race at our events, just giving a select few the opportunity to build something more accurate.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  9. You will be able to narrow the rear end you use, but it will have to be to the stock tread width of the car your putting it in. That way we won't have any pro street gasser style cars in this class. I think you will find if you do a search and look at the old pictures, tires do stick out and fenders/quarters were cut for clearance when running a 10 inch wheel.

10. BadBrad97

BadBrad97

I think the thing that separates all the other gasser groups (including yours) from the Southeast Gassers is that the Southeast Gassers run first to the finish. No indexes, no brackets, no breakouts. That is why they are growing so fast and are so popular. You really have to run the car hard to get to the finish line first. The appeal to the fans is not how close they are to being period correct with matching numbers, it is that cars that are very close to the 60's running balls to the wall to the finish line. Your concept while well meaning, is doomed to fail. No one likes to watch bracket racing.

11. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Have you been to Famoso? Or Bowling Green?

12. I think you should read the rules..

Heritage Gas is true heads up. True period correct. True weight to cubic inch classes just like back in the day 1/4 mile racing as Gassers were meant to run. Let me ask you a question about your "Heads Up" SEGA race. If you win, by a bunch, a couple times, what happens? As far as those cars being "close" to the 60's, please. It may be doomed to fail, but it wont be because it is bracket racing, that is one thing we can agree on.

13. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks for the kind words Brad
    SEGA uses the era correct suspension rule and a few other era correct features to our advantage to keep the racing close while still keeping the look of a mid 1960's drag race. We hear it all of the time that we are not era correct and we know that. But we are as close as it's going to get and still have a race that someone will pay to come and see. We didn't just pull the rules out of the air and start racing, We didn't get on the internet and ask anyone's opinion. We did ton's of research and talked to the right people that have been in RACING. key word here is RACING. When it's first to the finish line wins a lot has to change that most don't think about. Our rules are about split in half. About 50% appearance and about 50% performance. They get stricter every year. 27 pages of them and not one is in there with out good reason.
    All groups have their place in the world, just chose how you want to represent the 60's and have fun. And don't flood the market in one place, move around.

14. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

If your talking about the clause in the rules that says they can add weight to any dominant combination, it hasn't happened yet. You might have a class of 20 cars, and sure there may be faster cars but at the end of the day, everyone's pretty close.
    I hope your idea pans out!! There's always going to be people wanting to race!!

dirty old man and Dog_Patch like this.
  15. You must spend an obscene amount of time on the internet! Or your watching me. What era is mono leaf suspension, adjustable shocks, sliders, electronic ignition, ignition boxes, after market heads, aftermarket blocks, fancy aftermarket transmissions with strait linkage shifters, shift lights, 27 pages of rules for one division, adding weight to "level the playing field" electric belt driven water pumps, fuel cells, and on and on. You claim a race, yet you have to be a member to run (or get pre approval), jump through 27 pages of at least 50% appearance rules. You add and subtract weight based on certain combinations in order to keep the racing close. I believe I can quote you as saying all your cars run within 2 tenths of each other most of the time. Sounds like a index with out a break out rule. Back up girls are fun and a nice show, but have nothing to do with the Gasser Era. Your 27 pages of rules are designed to make your show a better show, and you keep making it stricter to cover the earlier mistakes you have made. You set all kinds of attendance records at tiny little tracks, and that is a cool thing, but it is still just a couple thousand spectators. I am concerned with having national like events, and really only want to have a maximum of 6 per year. I am set in the Midwest and East Coast. Once these events are established we will explore west coast and down south. I like to ask questions to make sure I make intelligent decisions for our sanctioning body. I have to think about Gasser racers and fans all over the world, not just you and your group's members. I was not, nor will I ever be a professional racer. I am from Ohio, Gasser Country, and I do ask a ton of questions because I was born at the end of the Gasser Era. There is a ton of knowledge here. My father restored cars for a museum when I was growing up. I like to keep things as close to the way they were as possible. I have been running my gasser a while longer than you have. I have been all over this great country of ours, talking to great folks and taking notes and racing! I have raced bracket, index and heads up. I do the same thing every time I get to the line. Run that car as hard as I can, push the gas pedal through the floor! Lift only when I could put the car next to me in danger or feel like I am going to hit the wall. I have no ego in my car, and enjoy every moment. For me the fans are the most important aspect of our nostalgia racing and my goal is to put a smile on each and everyone of their faces. I want them to want to come back, and tell their friends too! I went to an event down south some years ago, not with my car, just to take in an event while there for youth basketball. You and your group for sure were needed down there. I applaud you for your efforts and success. I do however think you will undoubtedly burn out or get a better offer some day and move on. Your a professional racer that has jumped on the nostalgia band wagon and are doing a hell of a job promoting your product. Most of the cars that are in your group are very cool and can run at any of our events when ever they want! Hell we are even offering travel money to them to attend Rock'N'Race. But you do this for fame and money, you have a shop to run and need income to support other folks. I do this for the love, and most of the time get nothing. I totally agree with you, we all basically love the same thing, so lets all work together and keep the drama to a minimum. If I have said anything in error, I apologize in advance. Keep up the great work you do, and lets see if we can all work together to make Nostalgia Racing great!

31hotrodguy and chickenshift like this.
  16. BadBrad97

BadBrad97

Sorry Don, A friend sent me here to check it out. I thought you were already racing these cars in a class. I didn't realize that your ACTUAL racing of this class has never really happened. I apologize for seeming to try crush your dream. Good luck with getting this off the ground.

Dog_Patch and dirty old man like this.
  17. wvenfield

wvenfield

Chill guys. There is room for everyone.

Don Moyer and BadBrad97 like this.
  18. BadBrad97

BadBrad97

I will be at Bowling Green again this year. And I stick to my statement that no one likes watching bracket racing. Most people (including myself) don't watch the racing to see who wins. They watch a cool car go down the track with disinterest and if someone hits the wall or something blows up then there is some interest. No one cares who actually wins. C'mon, Bowling Green is a great car show, not a great race.

nicky64chevy and dirty old man like this.
  19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I just clicked the "like" button on post #228, and I don't see anything between now and my first post on this thread back on post#40 to change the opinions I expressed then. And that is that it is quite transparent that you are a copy cat, Mr. Moyer.
    And further, in your efforts to change thinmgs enough in your rules you are/have created a "Frankenstein" with totally unenforceable rules as much as the original Frankenstein's Monster was uncontrollable.

nicky64chevy and Dog_Patch like this.
  20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

BadBrad97 guess me braking coming out of the burnout box wasn't much entertainment for you last year.:(
    I hope that this year I don't entertain you. ;)

Don Moyer likes this.
  21. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Hopefully some of this will find its way up here in the midwest. I find it boring to argue over whether a fuel pressure gauge was available in 1964 or a tach has the correct color wires coming out of it .I just like race cars resembling and running like I remember . Just my opinion.

22. wvenfield

wvenfield

If he is, I'm glad for it. The S.E. Gassers don't run near me. Don will. It will also be on tracks I attended as a much younger person.

There is room for everyone. Quain has explained why they can't expand too far out of the south.

31hotrodguy and Don Moyer like this.
  23. We have 3 races this year, and Heritage Gas will be a division of cars that will have a venue to run at. No worries. It will take time. You can still come and watch all the other nostalgia racing going on as this thing gets going. Hope you look me up at Bowling Green, hang out and get to know each other, we both like the same things.

24. yes I am, I am coping racing from yesteryear, just as everyone else is doing in this hobby. As far as copying SEGA, not hardly. You act if he has invented weight to cubic inch racing.

25. Hey no arguments here, Nostalgia Gas is easy to do and the most popular, I am just offering a different division for the hard core purists. WE do not keep any old car that is safe from running at our events! It is your car and you put the effort into creating it, who are we to say you can't run your vision? Or if your a spectator, we offer a vast variety of cars to make you want to come back for more.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  26. chickenshift

chickenshift

You apparently don't know Don Moyer. He will get this up and going. Bet

31hotrodguy and Don Moyer like this.