Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Saw Mill Special.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mitch 36, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Just bought this 1926 Dodge touring or what's left of it for 100 bucks. I have had a plan for a modified for a while now , was just waiting for the right hulk and here it is. The plan is to build a period roadster using all pre 50 parts for my son, David "Sonofamitch" ,he will help on the build and it will be his car. The 4 cylinder turns over with the crank so that MAY be a start. Turns out the car ran a old saw mill not far from my house in or around the 40's- 50's hence the name. Mitch. 20180408_100214.jpg 20180408_095838.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  2. Budget36

Budget36

That has at least $500.00 of pretty all over it!

3. Its got a minimal amount of rot in the lower areas and the floor . Just gonna try to find doors for it, should'nt be too hard out here I hope. The whole drive line is there except for the rear axle/ torque tube and springs. Missing the papers though. LUCKY DAY. Mitch.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

Did Dodge use a torque tube rear back then? My '32 is open drive line.

Come to think of it, I think I still have a transmission from a '27 Dodge out back (least I think it was a '27) you can have it for the shipping cost, I'm sure it's frozen solid by now though.
    Let me know and I'll dig around out back for it.

5. Maybe look around the area for some missing parts.

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

img80.JPG Is it actually a "Fast Four"? I did not think they came in a 24. Fast four had two intake ports. Other four like I had came with one intake port on the other side from the exhaust. Can be seen here as a rusty hole low in the center of the block.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    dwollam, Hnstray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

8. You know Rich, you're right, the engine is missing the intake and there is only one hole in the side of the block. I saw FAST FOUR while researching what I just bought and "assumed",,,you know what happens then!!!! hope to have it home in a day or two to start sorting things out. Also, I scouted the whole area for missing stuff but the family had it all pretty much organized. I did miss out on a nearly complete pre 20 Dodge touring like George Bailey drove in that popular X-Mas movie, that sold for 400 bucks. The deals are still around if you hunt them down. Mitch

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

For what it's worth, The "Fast Four" had the distributor up through the head like a Ford. So, should you want to convert to OHV the engine you have is easier gaK2vSO3rPGPZ1Xhsiv48g_008.jpg .

10. Thanks Rich, no idea yet on the power plant except I want to TRY to keep it all Dodge. Maybe a baby Red Ram, maybe not. Depends on David's input. Mitch.

11. dwollam

dwollam

Serial number is on the passenger side frame rail both on top and on the side at the rear shackle of the passenger side front spring. Engine number is about 50,000 higher than the frame serial number. There is no intake on these engines, the carb bolts to the block and draws heated air through the lifter galley and on through a reversed scoop on the exhaust manifold. Exhaust manifold is the same from about 1917 to 1926. Carbs too pretty much. If it is a starter/generator combo it is 12 volt and is '24 to early '26. Mid '26 got a 1 piece windshield. '24-27 touring, roadster, and screenside doors are all the same, "square bottom". It was a Special Touring as evidenced by the cowl lights and nickel radiator shell. If the headlight/ignition switch bolts in from outside the dash it is 1924, if it comes in from the back side it is '25-'26. Unless it has been changed out! Same holes. Get me the frame numbers and I can date it within a week or two.
    You might guess I have 18 or 20 of these DB's!
    And no, it is not a Fast Four. They started in the last 90 days of the 1927 models, then continued on in 1928 in DB's and also Graham Brothers trucks.

Dave

12. ALRIGHT DAVE,,,soon as I get it home I'll get the frame number to see what year it is. Thanks, Mitch.

13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I got of those,,,, easier to convert to OHV,, but I would say on the hard side of finding a head, unless you are Rich Fox and can widdle one out of a block of billet!!!

14. dwollam

dwollam

I took 125 thou off my head and block on my '22 DB Screenside. Nothing like a high compression head but it helped. Kinda like shaving an 1/8" off the top of a 5 gallon bucket!

Dave

chryslerfan55 and belyea_david like this.
  15. 20180410_175118.jpg 20180410_130610.jpg Dug it out and brought it home today, lots of work by myself. Got lucky and found the passenger door in the dirt under the car, kind rusty but workable I think. Original data plate was still attached to the wood floor and the serial dates the car to late June of 25 making it a 26. So now I have a 36 Chevy, a 36 Ford and a 26 Dodge. Its time for the Ford to go to a new owner to make room in the shop. Maybe 46 will be next ? Time to start patching rust and collecting parts. Stand by. Mitch. 20180410_111337.jpg 20180410_123741.jpg 20180410_130623.jpg 20180410_175054.jpg 20180410_175034.jpg

16. Cleaned all the dirt and pine needles out yesterday to see what I'm up against,got some rust repair but nothing I can't handle. One thing that sorta bites is the engine locked after one revolution of the crank. Either mouse nest, broken rod or maybe it's the lock gizmo on the transmission. Either way Im thinking of a different engine trans combo as this ones is only 35 hp stock. Seeing as this is a completely prewar build, a Dodge wavytube axle in the front with parallel leafs and a shortened frame with a 40 rear axle with transverse leaf and wishbones, 3 springer style. OK, what do youguys think for a mill, not really looking at flatheads, not even a 60 horse, like to stay with a four or possibly a six. Remember, prewar and affordable, this is a LOW BUDGET build with my son. Thanks for the input. Mitch.

chryslerfan55 and flynbrian48 like this.
  17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Mitch...Due to its 'pedigree', (and as much as I love wavy tubes, 3-springers & pre-war race stuff) I'd have to insist on a mid-'40s Chrysler Spitfire 6, with a Dodge/Chrysler heavy 3 speed floorshift trans.
    Granted, the engine isn't 'pre-war', but how many would know?
    Home made intake, reground cam, home made header. Ignition conversion to 6 cyl. Ford, some had a crab cap! Thinking that the bell housing would accommodate most Dodge transmissions.

18. neat poject,...maybe a Mopar flat six?...awww,^^^ Mike beat me to it...

19. I like the sound of that, David was leaning towards a six and there seems to be speed parts available once and a while. I wonder if the 26 bell housing would mate up, I suppose a later trans like you mentioned would be better. Thanks Mike, Mitch.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I doubt the Dodge Bros. bellhousing will bolt to a Chrysler six cylinder block. They are two different companys. But I don't think that will be much of a problem. I used a Pinto 4 speed behind both my 32 Plymouth banger and the '26 Dodge banger. And I strongly concur with the suggestion of a Chrysler/DeSoto six cylinder power plant. If you google Montana Dodge Boys, they have all kinds of new stuff for both the Ply/Dodge and DeSoto/Chrysler flathead six cylinder engines. If you really wanted a MoPar banger, I would go with the '32 Plymouth PB engine. Is your engine a three or five main block?

Unkl Ian, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. Rich, I haven't dropped the pan yet but from what i read, in 26 dodge went to the 5 main crank. Now i dont know if that was for 27s or for the 26s. I got the motor to turn over again by backing it off and low and behold she spun but the compression sucks,maybe a valve or two or three or four are hung up. Im gonna pull the head just for shits and giggles to see what's up. It would be best for David financially if we could get this anchor to run, 35 horses wouldn't be bad for him, he drives a 77 VW bus, ha. I do like the idea of the chrysler six, just have to slide the body back on the frame a tad. Mitch

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Atwater Mike likes this.
  22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My engine was a '26 and had 5 mains. Pure splash oiling. Poured bearings. Took me all day to get the head off. I ended up removing the crank and beating the head up from the bottom.. I do have a solid copper head gasket that I made left over.

23. dwollam

dwollam

What is the letter and number on the side of the block just above the carb mount? That will tell which engine. If it is a 12 volt engine with silent starter/generator it is 3 main.

Dave

24. Wow!!! Shades of the guy that built one of these with 'under-slung suspension' He painted it pale yellow & green & was in a hot rod mag in '80's? H e hand built a lot of it, with a 440 for power. He passed away a while back - maybe some harder-core Hambers could help my memory

25. cool ride and story
    I didnt have my glasses on and thought the title said 'see Mll specs"

and thought oh no here we go again

26. ring gap

ring gap

I,m wondering why they used them year dodges to run saw mills...that's about the 9th one I've seen where they used it to power a sawmill...good luck with your car....here's mine IMG_20151109_110206.jpg

Okie Pete and j-jock like this.
  27. Dave, the number on the pad right above the carb hole is A 444-100. I believe it is a 12 volt car , it does have the starter/ generator . the number on the id tag on the floor boards dates its build between June 27th and July 1st of 1925, making it a 26, I THINK. I haven't see the frame numbers yet. ( The frame numbers match the number on the floor plate ).. We hit a yard up in Greeley today and scored a drivers door for it and a GOOD vacuum wiper motor for my 36 Chevy truck ( $40), David gave the $100 that the old guy wanted for the door, same as I paid for the whole car but oh well ya gotta pay to play. At least it has less rust than the other door. Found a 36 Dodge wavy tube axle with complete brakes in decent shape and already off the car but he wanted $150 and David thought we could find one cheaper, we will see. They had a ton of banjo rear ends with juice brakes ,springs and wishbones but they were all locked solid and real crusty . Mitch.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Stogy likes this.
  28. Rich, I saw the Montana Dodge Boys site, looks interesting but I think its a bit too 'spensive for a young guy with shallow pockets. I'm sure something will come along from a restored car turned street rod or something , time will tell. Mitch.

Stogy likes this.
  29. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

If the engine is unstuck you might pull the head and pan,clean it out,unstick the valves and see if it will run.Those 4 cyl DB engines of that period were truly stout so it might just surprise you.I am sure you can make up an "L" shaped intake from exh tubing to accomodate some type of single barrel carb if the carb is missing or trashed. If you dont have a 1bbl carb PM me and I will send you one free of charge.

das858, Stogy and ring gap like this.
  30. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

Good start!
    Here's my favorite Dodge bros modified, built by Boling brothers
    [​IMG]

CaptainComet, BigO, Jet96 and 9 others like this.