Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Save of the day!!(single seater)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Mar 14, 2017.

1. I not sure 100% if belong to a Chev... but looks like that the one in the picture...[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G610M using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brEad likes this.
  2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

This before and after. The original was not round. Well it probably started off round but not when i got it. IMG_2669.JPG IMG_2699.JPG

brEad, brad2v, Tim_with_a_T and 8 others like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Square wheels and driving just doesn't feel like a good fit...kinda just like cavemen and inventing the wheel...the round won over the square...:confused:...that is a nice wheel ya done...

ratamahata likes this.
  4. biggeorge, graveyardsledder and Stogy like this.
  5. phat rat

phat rat

Beautiful job on the wheel

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Man, this little thing has two tons of style. :) Great work!

7. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Just my opinion, but race cars didn't have tail lights and brake lights in those days. If it was me I would make them as unobtrusive as possible. Perhaps tiny little LED lights so damn bright they'd blind you if you look at them. That way they wouldn't show hardly at all unless they were energized. I don't think I'd be too worried about having them low either, half the little sporty style cars nowadays don't have the tail lights much more than knee high. Believe me, when you're driving that thing there won't be anybody that doesn't notice you.

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I get what your saying but I can not put LED's on this thing. It has to have headlights and taillights which is really going to screw up the looks but they will both be old school units.

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No matter what the final outcome it will be right at home in any vintage cruise event. Streeting it is already a step out of that type of racers comfort zone. Running vintage lighting aesthetically placed is a thought out compromise. Your doing a stand up job of keeping things old and hand fabbed where fitting. I think your light location is awesome. Are you running a vintage plate?

sko_ford likes this.
  10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

At this point in time it is not titled. Being a bit of a mongrel it could be anything. I'm leaning towards a Model T being the frame rails are 26-7 T. I found a T coupe title online but it was a bit to pricey for my blood. So to answer your question yes I will run a vintage plate as soon as I know what year this thing is going to be.:)
    So if anyone out there has an affordable T title I could use one. Or come to think about it an early Dodge being that the cowl is a 22-3 Dodge.

sko_ford and Stogy like this.
  11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Got my rim sanded out stained and cleared along with cutting the spokes down because I shrunk the rim. I'm not digging it at all, just doesnt fit the build. To me it looks like it should be on a T bucket or a pre war hotrod. Guess I have a nice wall hanger. IMG_2741.JPG IMG_2742.JPG

Greenblade, Stogy and patmanta like this.
  12. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

I would say a very nice wall hanger , if that is what you decide .

13. atch

atch

You gonna try wrapping the wood before you give up?

brEad likes this.
  14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Yeah was going to wrap it but the wood is to purdy. I'm just not digging the Model T style spokes. Probably look for something flat

15. atch

atch

How 'bout doing another one but this time make the center and spokes out of one flat piece of 1/8" aluminum or something; polished to a shine.

brEad likes this.
  16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I could do that. I found what I believe was a 28-29 Chevy 3 spoke wheel at the Denver swap a few months ago but couldnt get the guy to come down to what I thought it was worth. It was real plain looking that I think would have been perfect for where this build is going.(Cheap & simple)

17. Nice job on the wheel. It is pretty fancy! I have one of those Chevy wheels but the taper is smaller than a ford wheel. Maybe it was a Plymouth wheel? They seem to have the same taper as ford IIRC.

18. You’re looking for something more along these lines I would bet? BCBEC5C3-071F-4F0E-821F-78DDB8772279.jpeg

brEad, brad2v, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  19. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

You're building everything else, why not build your wheel spokes. Choose the material carefully though. I don't think mild steel or soft aluminum spokes will be good enough unless they are pretty thick.
    At times there is a lot of force applied to a steering wheel, especially without power steering.

Bicycle frames and forks are an example of high strength tubing with nice tapers, a bit of pondering will probably bring you lots of ideas for tough materials that are readily available.

BigO likes this.
  20. I believe large old circular saw blades were the material of choice for racers "back in the day."

BradinNC, Tim_with_a_T and Stogy like this.
  21. atch

atch

You're absolutely correct. I don't know what I was thinking when I said 1/8". Not nearly thick enough. 1/8" - 3/16" steel would work, or 1/4" - 3/8" aluminum.

I mentioned it 'cause I've seen antique (vintage?) sprint cars with home made steering wheels with similar construction. I imagine an old sprinter steering wheel was probably subject to some pretty severe use.

22. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

That would be kool also. I think I want to find something that is super plain looking. My thought process is what would have been found in a junk yard back in the late 40's.

cactus1 likes this.
  23. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Look at big trucks. In fact, what's in your engine donor truck?

24. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

the wheel in the mail van is kool but not my style.

25. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Havent had time to work on the car the last few weeks but I had a bit of free time after work today. I built the radiator top shroud and radiator bracket. IMG_2747.jpg IMG_2748.jpg

brEad, patmanta, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  26. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I think I found my headlights. They are elcheapo 4" utility lights but the size is more appealing to me than the guild cyclerays I have. I'm not really planning on driving at night just want something to appease the po po. IMG_2751.JPG IMG_2752.JPG

27. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

So I took a picture with both lights, of course they are not set where they should be just tempt up. I will get them a bit further back and lower. What's the thoughts on big verses little? IMG_2764.JPG

Ron Funkhouser, Stogy and Jet96 like this.
  28. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Don't know the laws there, but here they want high and low beam.
    your car, but the big ones look better to me, a more vintage appearance.

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I dont like either but now Im leaning back to the big ones.

Atwater Mike and Stogy like this.